The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

So, I want to confess something to you guys. I reupped early for another STH year, but if I'd have waited, with all this mess going on at present, not sure I'd do that today. I'm just wondering how season tickets are going comparatively?

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, I want to confess something to you guys. I reupped early for another STH year, but if I'd have waited, with all this mess going on at present, not sure I'd do that today. I'm just wondering how season tickets are going comparatively?

I still would've too if I lived there...as ****** as I am about this season.  I still love this team, I guess.

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I still would've too if I lived there...as ****** as I am about this season.  I still love this team, I guess.

You're correct AWACS, as I do. Just want to see some positive. Guess the Checkers winning in overtime tonight is just what the doctor ordered? Now for GM and HC news?

11 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I still love this team, I guess.

Me too I think but at some time I have to stop inflicting self pain. I don't want to end up on the headlines of the news for going postal.

So, I've been thinking, who will start a poll to bet on the order of hire, The GM or HC 1st? Will be interesting. Seems to be TD's modus operandi, complete unorthodox approach? Talk about a whirlwind off season, this may be as trend setting as Las Vegas winning the Stanley Cup this year?

• Like 1

GM should be hired first. Who is going to come here as GM if the most important move relative to the team being successful was made without any input from him. It tells someone right up front that they are never going to really be in control of the franchise. If Rod and Vellucci are both good internal candidates, we will not be without viable coaching alternatives if we wait to get our GM first. In a few days, 22 other teams seasons will be over, freeing up lots of candidates for the GM job. 2 weeks after that, 4 more teams. We need to get that hire right. And we need a GM and HC who are on the same page from day 1. If Dundon is going to try to run this team, or let Don Waddell run it, we’re in trouble. TD needs to look at Tampa Bay. Jeff Vinik bought the team and he is one of the most successful mutual fund managers ever. But he made a great GM hire, and seldom has his name been heard again. And they are doing alright, I think.

8 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Every time I see Anderson with Toronto, I think how we just never catch a break?

Worst than that.  He left, and was one of the early ones to do so after the cup. 

What I'm saying was he was one of the canaries in the coal mine warning that players want to go somewhere else.

That disease has spread to management.  Tommy-The-Cure doesn't seem to be helping either.

Edited by wxray1

9 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Worst than that.  He left, and was one of the early ones to do so after the cup. 

What I'm saying was he was one of the canaries in the coal mine warning that players want to go somewhere else.

That disease has spread to management.  Tommy-The-Cure doesn't seem to be helping either.

The year he was drafted was the year Cam sign his massive extension.  He knew the brass was in love with Ward, and he would never get a fair shake here.  I honestly don’t blame him.  His career wouldn’t have been the same here.

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

The year he was drafted was the year Cam sign his massive extension.  He knew the brass was in love with Ward, and he would never get a fair shake here.  I honestly don’t blame him.  His career wouldn’t have been the same here.

I agree with this.  Either he would have been a perennial AHLer, or he would have been a perennial backup.  Only after JR left would he have even been given the opportunity to start, and once he did, one bad game and it would have been back to the backup role for the rest of his career.

Yep, poor timing all around. Guess we'll never know, but IF we could have held on to players like Andrew Ladd, Erik Cole, Ray Whitney and the like for just a little bit longer, perhaps our non-playoff appearances would not have been so lengthy?

Oddly enough he actually made his trip to the NHL take longer by going to the Leafs, he'd of gotten called up in 2012 when Ward got hurt and pretty easily taken the job from either Ellis or Peters. Then when Ward got hurt or his back was killing him the next year he almost assuredly would have finalized taking the job from Cam assuming we wouldn't have signed Khudobin with Andersen dominating the year before.

40 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yep, poor timing all around. Guess we'll never know, but IF we could have held on to players like Andrew Ladd, Erik Cole, Ray Whitney and the like for just a little bit longer, perhaps our non-playoff appearances would not have been so lengthy?

You can add Matt Cullen to that list as well

3 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I agree with this.  Either he would have been a perennial AHLer, or he would have been a perennial backup.  Only after JR left would he have even been given the opportunity to start, and once he did, one bad game and it would have been back to the backup role for the rest of his career.

You see, I vehemently AGREE with you guys.  And that's my point!  He was the canary in the coal mine about the way management was dealing with players in the organization, especially with regard to goalies, which as been a total mess.

8 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

There are rumors on Russian sport websites that Dahlbeck will sign with CSKA Moscow this summer

:mad:

34 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

There are rumors on Russian sport websites that Dahlbeck will sign with CSKA Moscow this summer

Not the best news if it's true, but not the worst either - there's always a journeyman or two who can be brought in to fill the spot.

36 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Chuck Fletcher is available for GM

Okay, and that means what? Not to be flippant, but what does that do for the Canes?

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Okay, and that means what? Not to be flippant, but what does that do for the Canes?

Well, he was willing to make the tough trades (acquiring Dubnyk) and made really good splashes in the FA market (Parise/Suter).  

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

The guy obviously wants to start and I think he could right here. Time for our owner to get a GM in place asap to take care of our numerous needs in the UFA/RFA in house market. Dahlbeck is a RFA. Tons of work to do this off season, more than most and we don't have a GM or coach. No time to penny pinch a GM.

2018 Draft Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th (CAR and VGK)

Unrestricted Free Agents: Cam Ward, Lee Stempniak, Derek Ryan, Jeremy Smith, Brenden Kichton, Andrew Miller, Philip Samuelsson, Patrick Brown, Dennis Robertson, Jake Chelios

Restricted Free Agents:  Elias Lindholm, Joakim Nordström, Noah Hanifin, Andrew Poturalski, Klas Dahlbeck, Trevor van Riemsdyk, Phillip Di Giuseppe, Valentin Zykov, Lucas Wallmark, Trevor Carrick, Greg McKegg, Tyler Ganly, Keegan Kanzig, Sergey Tolchinsky