The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

8 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Faulk was named for the King Clancy isn't that voted on by members of the team or is it media?

Regardless some group of people are high off magic beans.

Had to Google that one.

Apparently an award mostly for off ice charity work. Voted on by the Professional Writers Association. It does say leadership on and off the ice, but then goes on and on about charity work. Not that it's not very commendable, it is very commendable and reflects highly on him as a person, but doesn't seem to be very related to the ability to play hockey in the defensive zone.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Apparently an award mostly for off ice charity work.

Yes. He was reportedly nominated for helping Raleigh area youth eat healthier, by greatly reducing the availability of free queso this season.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

I'm sure BP will endorse him.

Ryan.jpg

Yep.  I kind of forgot that he was UFA when i made the Faulk/Ryan/1st for Monahan or Gaudreau post.  Not that i think there's a snowball's chance in Hades of a deal like that anyway, but i still like it...

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes. He was reportedly nominated for helping Raleigh area youth eat healthier, by greatly reducing the availability of free queso this season.

Well played.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Pretty good top. Pretty, pretty good.

I'm coming out of my self induced hibernation to drop this nugget on you guys.  I've been reading here, and seeing a lot of angst about how TD was El Cheapo and wouldn't spend on UFA's.  He is right about not being able to fix a team in free agency.  Here are the big winners from summer before last.  Honestly pick any summer, and the results will be similar.  Take out Stamkos who wasn't really a UFA, and tell me what you think of the value.  I also threw in our own red headed step child from that summer (that we can't wait to see leave) so you can judge just how effective this can be.

These are the stats from 2017/2018

Capture.PNG.6a1fab28d585e4ed14a1d912b8c56a75.PNG

A lot of the free agents that are highly sought after are bought out soon after.  I'm not suggesting no UFA's should be signed, but I am saying it's a crap shoot.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

Pretty bad return on those guys. It does show the danger of laying down big bucks on guys heading into their 30's. Got to tread carefully.

Interestingly Justin Williams numbers would put him right at the top of that list backing Stamkos out of course.

The years on those deals hurts too.

Tavares is pretty much Stamkos, which IMO suggests a guy like that is worth overpaying, and it's better than going mid upper and overpaying for 7 years of say Milan Lucic. To me if you can somehow break the mold and get a guy who would be arguably one of the best UFA's ever, you break the bank, but after that?

JVR has been a pretty consistent goal machine, but he carries some of that risk too. Still, despite it all, I'd roll the dice on JVR. ? ?

Holy cow do we have a lot of emojiis now.

After that, small ball if anything.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'm coming out of my self induced hibernation to drop this nugget on you guys.  I've been reading here, and seeing a lot of angst about how TD was El Cheapo and wouldn't spend on UFA's.  He is right about not being able to fix a team in free agency.  Here are the big winners from summer before last.  Honestly pick any summer, and the results will be similar.  Take out Stamkos who wasn't really a UFA, and tell me what you think of the value.  I also threw in our own red headed step child from that summer (that we can't wait to see leave) so you can judge just how effective this can be.

These are the stats from 2017/2018

Capture.PNG.6a1fab28d585e4ed14a1d912b8c56a75.PNG

A lot of the free agents that are highly sought after are bought out soon after.  I'm not suggesting no UFA's should be signed, but I am saying it's a crap shoot.

I was talking to my bud about Lucic.  At the time I was majorly gung ho on him, to the point of being angry that we didn't even try for him  (that power forward thing)  Yet I knew guys from Boston who were OK to see him go.  

The team where they play really does know, I think.  If they really don't try to keep them, its a BIG red flag.

I just met Dan Waddell in the elevator going to the Bon Jovi concert. I told him I was a season ticket holder and he told me he was working on a trade.

He’s got to be kidding since he can’t trade now, but maybe he was really working on finding a coach or GM.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I just met Dan Waddell in the elevator going to the Bon Jovi concert. I told him I was a season ticket holder and he told me he was working on a trade.

He’s got to be kidding since he can’t trade now, but maybe he was really working on finding a coach or GM.

Maybe trying to trade his Bon Jovi tkts for better seats.?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

Or maybe not. I imagine that they are already engaged talking about draft picks too, so working on a new roster and getting preliminary trade talks out of the way doesn't mean they have to finalize a deal. If true, it's nice to hear that they are not sitting on their hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

Maybe trying to trade his Bon Jovi tkts for better seats.?

Or trade Hurricanes tickets for Bon Jovi seats? ?

1 minute ago, JonKerfoot said:

Or trade Hurricanes tickets for Bon Jovi seats? ?

AHHH that would take several Canes tkts for good Bon jovi tkts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, remkin said:

Did he curse before he got off the elevator? Perhaps he was saying Faulk and not....

46 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

AHHH that would take several Canes tkts for good Bon jovi tkts.

"Look, I'll give you fifth-row Bon Jovi seats AND two lower-level seats to a Hurricanes game for your front-row Bon Jovis!"

"Not good enough. The trade has to make sense...."

"Okay, fifth-row Bon Jovi and two lower-level seats to a Hurricanes game AND the negotiating rights to an evening with Justin Faulk and Noah Hanifin for your front-row Bon Jovi tickets!"

"C'mon, you can do a little better...."

?

?

Edited by JonKerfoot
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JonKerfoot said:

"Look, I'll give you fifth-row Bon Jovi seats AND two lower-level seats to a Hurricanes game for your front-row Bon Jovis!"

"Not good enough. The trade has to make sense...."

"Okay, fifth-row Bon Jovi and two lower-level seats to a Hurricanes came AND the negotiating rights to an evening with Justin Faulk and Noah Hanifin for your front-row Bon Jovi tickets!"

"C'mon, you can do a little better...."

?

?

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

10 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Did he curse before he got off the elevator? Perhaps he was saying Faulk and not....

I this is about the time when they made the trade for Darling last year. 

2 hours ago, remkin said:

When you say "he can't trade now do you mean due to internal Canes restrictions?  Pretty sure the trade deadline only means players traded after that point can't participate in the playoffs, not that teams can't actually make trades.  Unless there is a freeze during the playoffs I'm not aware of? 

On the 2016 list of UFAs above, wasn’t Eric Staal a UFA that season after his brief stint with the Rangers? Of course, Minnesota got him for half the money and half the term given Andrew Ladd. They didn’t really stick their necks out much on that one.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Was he going up or down in the elevator. I always like to weigh statistical trends ?

Very cool though