The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Dundon in Charge

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

Well if anyone fires BP it won't be Francis, which doesn't surprise me given the overall lack of anything he's doing.

https://www.tsn.ca/canes-gm-francis-peters-not-on-hot-seat-1.1012425

I like BP more and stand more with BP at this point but the guys publicly given RF crap 4-5 times in the past 9 months. How the heck do you let that happen and retain any amount of respect from others in the organization? 

Yah...that’s what sticks with me too...as much as Franchise wholeheartedly deserves to be publicly called out.  To borrow a military term, it shows fractures in the chain of command...

One of them HAS TO GO this summer.  Given the choice, I’d say Francis...realistically, it would be Peters.  

39 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Yah...that’s what sticks with me too...as much as Franchise wholeheartedly deserves to be publicly called out.  To borrow a military term, it shows fractures in the chain of command...

One of them HAS TO GO this summer.  Given the choice, I’d say Francis...realistically, it would be Peters.  

I'm not so sure. Dundon has been effusive in his support of BP, saying the coach was the first guy he looked at, and determined that BP is "doing everything the right way." He hasn't expressed anything close to that kind of enthusiasm for RF, at least not that I've yet seen.

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm not so sure. Dundon has been effusive in his support of BP, saying the coach was the first guy he looked at, and determined that BP is "doing everything the right way." He hasn't expressed anything close to that kind of enthusiasm for RF, at least not that I've yet seen.

Top, do you think this might be part of why GMRF has been so passive - that he senses that his is the hot seat and became afraid to pull the trigger in case the deal went pear-shaped?

RF is full of it and incompetent.  Prices were too high.  ok, so then sell.

Is there nothing to unload on this team?  No. His asking price was likely too high.  Either way, he's the one that is off the market in assessment.  One time maybe, but every year or event (deadline, draft, etc.).  Sorry, but that is what GMs are for.  He's a bust.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

Top, do you think this might be part of why GMRF has been so passive - that he senses that his is the hot seat and became afraid to pull the trigger in case the deal went pear-shaped?

Good question. If so, speaking purely for myself, I'd have gone down swinging. A deal can't succeed (or fail) if you don't make it in the first place. I do think that we gained new insight yesterday into where the flat affect of so many on this team comes from--and it sure ain't BP. I also have zero doubt any longer of who hatched the co-captaincy idea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Manwolf said:

RF is full of it and incompetent.  Prices were too high.  ok, so then sell.

Is there nothing to unload on this team?  No. His asking price was likely too high.  Either way, he's the one that is off the market in assessment.  One time maybe, but every year or event (deadline, draft, etc.).  Sorry, but that is what GMs are for.  He's a bust.

Who is your choice to move ? It may not be the asking price. It might be the players.

Winger52, in reply:

Faulk, Faulk, and then Faulk.  Getting rid of him is addition by subtraction.  I don't care about RH position either.  He's a turnover machine and makes totally irresponsible plays (like tonight vs Boston on their 1st goal).  He can't go fast enough IMO.

I'd trade Skinner.  He has never played a team game or meshed with others on any line he's been on.  He's immature and does what he wants by neglecting to play a complete game.  He's also slow and weak on his skates.

The following don't belong in the NHL: Ryan, PDG, Nordstrom.  They're blocking roster spots for a look see at our prospects.

Stemper is not the same player and can be replaced.  Neither is Rask.  I'd take what I could get for them and not re-sign Stemp.

Darling is a disaster and RF should admit to his mistake.  He choked in not owning his blunder by not getting Mrazek.

IMO unloading any or all of the above would make the team better as addition by subtraction.  If you seek excellence, as RF should, you will never find it in the players mentioned above.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 8:07 PM, Manwolf said:

I'd trade Skinner.  He has never played a team game or meshed with others on any line he's been on.

Guys at or near their team lead in goals are selfish. It's why they score goals. If they weren't so selfish, they'd be at or near their team lead in assists. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't make it any less true.

On a team that struggles to finish, moving one of the few guys who can is akin to washing a rusted car every week because, hey--at least the rust will be clean. 

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Guys at or near their team lead in goals are selfish. It's why they score goals. If they weren't so selfish, they'd be at or near their team lead in assists. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Sure, at what cost?  A net minus in +/- and two players underutilized on his line.  

Another consideration with trading Skinner is "selling low". After last year, with a good plus minus and all those goals and 2 years left on his deal, the return could have been a more traditional offensive player with less goals, but still 25-30. But after this year, with a worse year in goals and plus minus and only one more year on the deal, the return might not justify trading him.

Even with this downturn, I am more comfortably keeping him since he's shown for two previous years what he can be. If we can find him a guy to play with, he can be right back on track. 

We need to fix goalie. We need to add one forward through a trade, ideally for Faulk, and one UFA (thinking JVR since TVR is here). I really think that would be enough. Heck just fixing goalie would probably have put us in this year. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:07 PM, Manwolf said:

Winger52, in reply:

Faulk, Faulk, and then Faulk.  Getting rid of him is addition by subtraction.  I don't care about RH position either.  He's a turnover machine and makes totally irresponsible plays (like tonight vs Boston on their 1st goal).  He can't go fast enough IMO.

I'd trade Skinner.  He has never played a team game or meshed with others on any line he's been on.  He's immature and does what he wants by neglecting to play a complete game.  He's also slow and weak on his skates.

The following don't belong in the NHL: Ryan, PDG, Nordstrom.  They're blocking roster spots for a look see at our prospects.

Stemper is not the same player and can be replaced.  Neither is Rask.  I'd take what I could get for them and not re-sign Stemp.

Darling is a disaster and RF should admit to his mistake.  He choked in not owning his blunder by not getting Mrazek.

IMO unloading any or all of the above would make the team better as addition by subtraction.  If you seek excellence, as RF should, you will never find it in the players mentioned above.

Manwolf, just seeing this and I totally agree with you on 3 of the 8 players you've called out, and pretty much lukewarm on a 4th. Faulk and Rask, no brainers as neither brings what this team needs. Faulk has been a liability for at least 3 years now despite his All Star crown, his RH position and the so-called "booming"shot he has on PP, which much more frequently hits glass than net. For awhile I've wondered if he's got some type of vision problem?

Rask, not much to say on him, except that he has an attribute one would like to see in a defenseman, you never hardly notice him?

Darling as you describe, is a disaster and quite frankly, I'm just not sure why RF hasn't sent him down to Charlotte to get him beaucoup minutes in order to possibly work thru his mental problems? His contract does present a hurdle, but god forbid we have to go into this upcoming year with this present goalie tandem. Thus, even though I deeply feel that there's an NHL goalie somewhere inside his massive body, this team particularly cannot afford for it to emerge too much longer?

Skinner is my "lukewarm" category. I hear what top and others are saying, including rem, his protectorates claiming that he needs a true, equally skilled complementary piece. That same issue swirled around E Staal, and lingered until he was traded following years of lackadaisical play. Now, he's turned it back on causing many, In Retrospect, to utter their criticism. The problem with that is virtually all of us can be 100% accurate in a decision when we view it retrospectively. Thus, who on this end of a decision regarding Skinner really knows how he will work out. Will he continue to be a square peg in a round hole, or can this or perhaps another coach find that elusive key to unlock what appears to be untapped potential?

Now, as for the other, what 4 players, yes they are complementary, and likely could be replaced in some form or fashion by several of our AHLers, but I question the logic in that wholesale move. Maybe Ryan who has his moments, and has been touted as a complementary piece to Skinner, could be replaced. Stemper also seems slowed since his return. Nordstrom on other hand does add an element of speed and he as well as PDG, some needed grit.

So, what to do to move this forward? Faulk and Rask trade, possibly for JVR, who with his brother on board, might appreciate the change? Also, I have liked and think that making a play for Raanta could pay vast dividends, unless this is truly a Black Hole where goalies come to die? If RF would move Darling down to get a better read on him going forward, this might be an indicator on how then to proceed. Skinner is the decision I'm just unsure of. Is there a player in the system he might mesh with, or could RF find someone on the open market who he's played with and had success? The latter might be worth consideration, if that has occurred( I am not savvy enough to know).

The elusive 1C is the fantasy type dream, which I harbor, but is extremely unlikely. JT would look spectacular in the Sightless Eye, but how likely is that? Think how amazing it would be if  Necas  is that guy, and could understudy JT for a time, then eventually switch with him? Throw in J Steal in that mix, and we sure could be strong down the middle. Wonder if Francis could use that sales pitch on Tavares? Those are my humble thoughts.

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Manwolf said:

Sure, at what cost?  A net minus in +/- and two players underutilized on his line.  

So you fault the one who can put the puck in the net? How about giving him linemates who can get him the puck?

2 hours ago, remkin said:

If we can find him a guy to play with,

We already did. His name is Justin Williams, and your notion of his speed issues notwithstanding, I harken to that highlight goal early this season that the Canes are still using in their advertising, and the more recent one (I think it was the equalizer at home versus Jersey) in which they were both involved.

Keeping those two apart is just bewildering, but at this point I have two options: rest assured that BP is doing it for a reason that will become clear, or start cutting on myself. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

56 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

So you fault the one who can put the puck in the net? How about giving him linemates who can get him the puck?

Saw an interesting stat today. Brad Marchand has 17 assists in last 18 games. The same that Skinner has all year. Skinner needs to sue someone for non support. If I were him, I'd be in RF's office begging him to trade me at the draft. Playing with Wallmark and PDG, it's almost like they sent Skinner to Charlotte, and kept him in Raleigh at the same time.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 1

Here's an idea.... stop using the mix master theory for lines and settle on playing the same combinations for 5 to 10 games. We'll see what we've got for next season and summer trades.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

Mr. Dundon:

First and foremost, thank you for being the “angel” who (to paraphrase the old saying) has rushed in where this diehard Hurricanes’ fan was beginning to think even fools would fear to tread. 

Like many other fans, I thought years of disinterest and downright neglect of this franchise on the part of its former owner might result in it being moved, or sold to an owner determined to move it. Your purchase has allayed those fears and reinvigorated both the fan base and - up until these last five games, anyway - a team, which for too long blithely accepted the inevitability of defeat. 

And who could blame us—or them? As you well know, employees who no longer give a damn are the inevitable result when ownership stops reinvesting in the organization, and becomes content to simply keep the lights on. (And to raise ticket and parking prices, of course.)

Forgive my cynicism, but in the last five years, it’s the one thing Mr. Karmanos has earned. Your stated determination to turn this organization around and put a winning product on the ice is refreshing. But without action - NOW - it will ring hollow for thousands of fans who, like me, have had our fill of hype, and who have shown for too long the patience for which the organization now serially thanks us, but does little to reward. And just to be clear: the only reward I’m interested in is a winning team.

I have been an ardent supporter of Ron Francis as GM. The course of draft and develop, which he charted for we fans upon taking over that role, was absolutely necessary; the cupboard was left completely bare by his predecessor (who is now busy mortgaging the future for Penguins’ fans. But I digress).

Mr. Francis’ commitment to drafting and developing talent is exciting for those of us who live and die by the organization’s every draft pick. But it shouldn’t negate seizing an opportunity to make the playoffs, and I and many of my fellow Caniacs fear that the bargain-basement approach necessitated by the former owner has become so engrained in Mr. Francis that he will not pull the trigger on deals that might allow the team to get in. 

Five games ago, this team had responded to the waiver of Jooris and Kruger and was on that cusp. The addition of a scoring winger and a reliable backup goaltender - both of which were available - would not only have increased the probability of the Canes sitting today where the Devils and perhaps even the Flyers do instead but, more importantly, would have rewarded the roster for responding, and putting itself in a position to succeed. 

You don’t get to the NHL unless you’re a winner. From Jeff Skinner to Jordan Staal to Justin Williams to SeaBass to TT, this roster is loaded with guys who have won at this and other levels. But if the organization doesn’t step up and support them when they’re on the brink, what is their incentive to keep pushing? There is much to be said for winning together with the existing group, no question about it. But should that desire preclude bringing in help when it is clear that weaker links - Darling, Faulk, PDG, Ryan, Rask, Stempniak - are not going to get you over the hump?

I and many other longtime (and now, long-suffering) Caniacs say, “No.” 

Up until these last few games, I believed, based on reading the tea leaves of what has happened over the past four years, that Mr. Francis was hamstrung by Mr. Karmanos’ lack of investment, and that he (Francis) deserves a full year with the infusion of resources your purchase will bring to bear. But for the life of me, I cannot understand how a team that has put itself in position to win for the first time in eight years is denied the personnel which get them into the dance. Instead, Mr. Francis’ failure to act has set the team up - yet again - for April tee times.

And has set up we fans for yet another plea to “be patient.”

No, thank you. Enough is enough.

Well said!  The only thing that I would add is to not reward mediocrity.  Fire Peters.  His record speaks for itself.  No discernable improvement.  #FIREPETERS

Edited by wscaniac

2 hours ago, wscaniac said:

Well said!  The only thing that I would add is to not reward mediocrity.  Fire Peters.  His record speaks for itself.  No discernable improvement.  #FIREPETERS

Thanks wsc.

Re Peters, good luck with that. Dundon likes his management group. You might want to check out the below, so you'll know what's in store. As you'll see, there actually has been a marked improvement. 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

Thanks wsc.

Re Peters, good luck with that. Dundon likes his management group. You might want to check out the below, so you'll know what's in store. As you'll see, there actually has been a marked improvement. 

A marked improvement in what?!  #&%^!@ sure not the team's record each year, or where finished in the division.

13 hours ago, wscaniac said:

A marked improvement in what?!  #&%^!@ sure not the team's record each year, or where finished in the division.

So, you didn't read the link I guess. Advanced stats show what all of our eyeballs have told us throughout BP's tenure: Great possession and lots of shots, but no finishers. Blaming the coach for not getting personnel is like blaming the pavement when your car breaks down.

• Like 1

Just now, top-shelf-1 said:

So, you didn't read the link I guess. Advanced stats show what all of our eyeballs have told us throughout BP's tenure: Great possession and lots of shots, but no finishers. Blaming the coach for not getting personnel is like blaming the pavement when your car breaks down.

Yes, thank you Mr. Dundon.

Now, two words: Darryl Sutter.