The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Dundon in Charge

46 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes, thank you Mr. Dundon.

Now, two words: Darryl Sutter.

I have serious doubts Sutter will want to come here. He is too old school.  TD doesnt do old school.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I have serious doubts Sutter will want to come here

I do too, but not because of his old-schoolness. (Though BP likes advanced stats, I think he is pretty old school.) I think Sutter is pretty happy on the farm, and that if he did get back in the game, it'd probably be out West where he can be closest to it. But I'd sure try to make him an offer that's hard to refuse.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I have serious doubts Sutter will want to come here. He is too old school.  TD doesnt do old school.  

Agreed, that's just oil and vinegar anyway. He might as well go out and hire Lou. 

I went to work today and showed up at 7PM vs Oilers.  Several of the guys on this team did neither.

Will you now stand with quitters?  That should be unacceptable for anyone wearing the uniform of this team.  Your merchandise will stand for quitters.

Quitters are cowards and the organization needs to purge them.  They're clearly saying I don't want to be part of your franchise.  Accommodate them!

• Like 1

Whatever happens under Tom Dundon, Canes are unlikely to remain in the mediocre middle

What a wild, weird, wacky operation this is going to be. Hang on tight. It may be a tremendous success or a colossal failure, but it's unlikely to be somewhere in the mediocre middle, which is where the Hurricanes have resided the past nine years.

I like Tom's approach. He is not a typical hockey owner, to me, and he wants to make the Cane's better. He stated that a major shake-up is probably needed, but BP and the players don't need to feel comfortable. No one knows what is going to happen and I hope he sticks to that. 

Go Tom!!

It is going to take me a little while to get accustomed to the Dundon approach. As a fan I want his apparent aggressive yet  unorthodox approach  to work. As a fan who has watched more hockey than I would like to admit I'm skeptical. One thing is for sure times they are a changing.

• Like 3

I really really hope he can find that analytical type assistant at a place that has won to join the team as GM. It is important that the new GM gets that there are decisions that will be run through the process, and some that don't need to be, but it will be more collaborative than the old school way. Still think someone will take that job. Do NOT like the idea of Waddell as GM.

Waddell as GM ? No thank you. It sounds like TD is open to moving assets via the trade option but I'm concerned on his opinion of the FA Market. He doesn't believe that acquiring talent through the FA market is the way to go and if players are available on the FA market that they are being over valued. He believes that their existing team would of made an offer if their value was where the asking price may be. TD have you considered that some teams may have to let valuable players go due to issues with the Cap space? Taking a hard negative stance on the FA Market is just reducing your opportunities for potentially adding talent to the team.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Waddell as GM ? 

I will literally show up outside PNC Arena with a torch and pitchfork if this ever happens!

46 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I heard the following today from TD:

We like our group. 

I'm glad I don't trust your analyses, because if he actually felt that way it would be very disturbing.

I must admit I’m a little concerned after TD’s presser. At what successful organization has the owner alone done the exit interviews with the players? And this from an owner who admittedly knows little about hockey. Then he alienated all upcoming free agents by saying they would not be FAs if their old team saw any value in them. As Slap pointed out, guys end up as free agents for lots of reasons - cap space, the need to pay younger players who play the same position, inability of player and management to agree on value. So Dundon didn’t notice, for example, that Minnesota signed a former 40 goal, 100 point scorer for 3 years at $3.5 million per, who was down in his game but has found it again and scored 40 goals again this year at age 33. Free agents can benefit from a change of scenery too, Tom. And lastly, I’m afraid Dundon really does want, at most, a figurehead GM because he wants to run the team himself. This is not the subprime car lending business where there are always poor suckers who will pay astronomical interest to get a car loan because their credit is awful. We need a true hockey guy, and a good one to evaluate free agents, make trades, draft players, and make personnel decisions. It’s going to be hard to find that guy if we really have a meddlesome owner who cannot delegate hockey decisions to a hockey professional. And Don Waddell is sure not that guy. I like Dundon’s passion and energy, but am worried that he is unwilling to hire a competent GM and get out of his way. The next couple of months will tell a lot about the direction the franchise is headed. Clearly, TD sees the need to make some personnel changes, which is encouraging, but he may trade us into Buffalo territory if he tries to take on the role of GM himself.

• Like 3

I am going to take a slightly different take on this. Dundon wants to know from each player what their take is and what their commitment is. And looking into their eyes and listening to them might not be bad to do at least once.

I do agree that the danger is him taking on too much. But I'm still going to say that at this point "radical change" has a honeymoon period from me, because outside of the PC nature of it, there are no more wrong words right now than "we like our group".

• Like 1

That went well

IIRC, the "wrong" color seats were used for several years prior to being replaced by the "right" color.  They were probably switched out in the normal replacement schedule, not to appease the WoofPackers.

Tom Dundon is the best chance we have and have had for a long while. He brings his money and his this can be fixed attitude to Raleigh. But you can't sugar coat the fact that he has made some rookie errors. My hope is that in the face of what has to be a frustrating time for our new owner he doesn't throw up his hands. If he asked me for advice, he won't because well why would he, I would tell him the best move he can make is to go out and find a free agent or two or trade(s) that addresses our scoring woes. Bring in a name, bring in excitment, make us forget the Whaler shirts on sale at the eye and bring us some hope. Put up the money TD and go get us some players.

• Like 1