The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Dundon in Charge

23 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Tom Dundon is the best chance we have and have had for a long while. He brings his money and his this can be fixed attitude to Raleigh. But you can't sugar coat the fact that he has made some rookie errors. My hope is that in the face of what has to be a frustrating time for our new owner he doesn't throw up his hands. If he asked me for advice, he won't because well why would he, I would tell him the best move he can make is to go out and find a free agent or two or trade(s) that addresses our scoring woes. Bring in a name, bring in excitment, make us forget the Whaler shirts on sale at the eye and bring us some hope. Put up the money TD and go get us some players.

With a good friend that turned around another sports franchise I have hope he asks him when he seems lost.

Scoreboard isn't even much of an issue, wasn't it just replaced not long ago or are these years REALLY starting to just melt together.

Build the dag on practice facility.

Edited by legend-1

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Scoreboard isn't even much of an issue

Except that it apparently was for Dundon

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Scoreboard isn't even much of an issue, wasn't it just replaced not long ago or are these years REALLY starting to just melt together.

Build the dag on practice facility.

Yeah, we did just get new scoreboard fairly recently. Yes, a gigantitron board would be nice, but I agree, get a practice facility and make some noise on the ice with player acquisition.  I wonder what happens to "old" jumbotrons. Are they for sale on Ebay?

7 hours ago, remkin said:

Yeah, we did just get new scoreboard fairly recently. Yes, a gigantitron board would be nice, but I agree, get a practice facility and make some noise on the ice with player acquisition.  I wonder what happens to "old" jumbotrons. Are they for sale on Ebay?

I got one for my garage. The shipping is a b*tch though.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:50 PM, g105 said:

IIRC, the "wrong" color seats were used for several years prior to being replaced by the "right" color.  They were probably switched out in the normal replacement schedule, not to appease the WoofPackers.

The chancellor at NCSU complained about the seat color and they were changed. It was either during construction or shortly after opening.

17 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Rumor has it Forslund might not be back next season.  Did our glorious new owner also low ball him like he did to potential GM candidates?

Your rumor?  Source?

Yes he's gone national, has been so for the last 10 years.  Yes he is getting the higher profile games.  Yes, he looks to be Doc heir apparent.  Following that model, I'd expect we see less and less of him as time goes on.  We got a bit of a taste of that this year.  

But unless you have a source otherwise, this does not mean 100% cut off.

But I don't know.  Maybe TD offered him a $40k yearly salary.

Edited by wxray1

Gold has an article about Tommy.  I pretty much agree with Gold, for possibly the first time ever.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/new-hurricanes-owner-getting-dose-of-reality-as-offseason-issues-pile-up/17494900/

So much of what’s transpired over the last three months does not reflect well on such an enthusiastic opening day. Dundon’s arrival is supposed to mean a new direction, one of success and optimism, for the Carolina Hurricanes. One with excitement and playoff hockey and a vibrating arena more impacted by the fans in the seats than the video board that hovers above.

Dundon seems like a fun guy. In my limited interactions with him he appears to be an enthusiastic fan, someone dedicated to making the experience of going to PNC Arena a memorable one on Hurricanes game nights.

But the early returns from the Centennial Authority, and the league-wide perception of the situations regarding Francis and Peters are not flattering.

In the case of the new owner and the direction of the Carolina Hurricanes, let’s all hope that looks are indeed deceiving.

What I hope is that a smart guy learns from his early experiences. If Dundon wants to be his own GM, then the GM will have a fool for an owner to change up the line about being your own lawyer. The Owner already approves the major moves, he does not need more power, just sit back and learn for a while. If Dundon wants to immerse himself in the hockey experience and learn new ways and innovate, that's all good, but to jump right in an do it with zero experience? He has less experience than we do, and none of us has been picked up for the GM slot.

I just have to think he'll figure it out, but it is going to be a process and he dang well needs a GM who has at least been an assistant at a place with results. I think he will, and that the whole being his own GM thing is just ill advised talk, but right now it does create a sense of rudderless drifting, and this needs to be tightened down.

It will eventually tighten down, at least some, but right at the moment things feel very fuzzy. I guess the first step will be Peters. If he leaves, it may be a good thing, but it will feel bad having him jump off this apparently floundering ship, and for a while at least, the ship will seem even more rudderless.

Still, I am pretty sure Dundon is not going to try to coach the team, so eventually we'll get a new coach, and a new GM, but it will feel pretty weird for a while first.

If Peters stays it will at least feel a little better in this window.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Rumor has it Forslund might not be back next season.  Did our glorious new owner also low ball him like he did to potential GM candidates?

55 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Your rumor?  Source?

Yes he's gone national, has been so for the last 10 years.  Yes he is getting the higher profile games.  Yes, he looks to be Doc heir apparent.  Following that model, I'd expect we see less and less of him as time goes on.  We got a bit of a taste of that this year.  

Forslund just signed a contract extension last summer.  I don't know the details, but I'd be surprised if it was a 1 year deal, which likely removes the whole issue of a Dundon lowball offer.  Forslund has increasingly been getting national assignments, with speculation of an eventual permanent national role.

If the rumor is actually true, I'm struggling to decide which is more likely: BDs kneejerk emotional speculation or wxray's reasoned one? :letssee:

I don't get all of the angst over the scoreboard issue (Gold devoted something like 5 paragraphs to it in his article).  Dundon tried to move the change forward a year to enhance the fan experience, something I think all of us view as a positive endeavor.  Because of reasons completely out of his control (be it legitimate concerns over structural issues or the Centennial Authority flexing it's muscle), it didn't work out.  How is that a negative? :huh:  Would it have been better if he had never attempted to get the new scoreboard moved up in the first place?  Instead of a new scoreboard, I want to hear more about the progress towards a new practice facility.

On another note, in this particular instance I like the idea of Dundon conducting the exit interviews.  I'd like him to get unvarnished feedback from the players on their perception of what's wrong and what needs to be fixed, ranging from thoughts about each other, HC Bill Peters, RFs performance as GM, and even their thoughts on what Dundon has done and promised to date.  Heck, I'd hope he's getting feedback from almost everyone in the organization.  I think that would be useful with regard to his immediate decisions regarding coaching and GM selection.  Now, once he has a GM in place, I see that person taking on that role going forward.  But at this point in time, l see it as a great learning/ orientation opportunity for Dundon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Your rumor?  Source?

That's a great part time job!   I will do it!  :blink::blush:

2 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

That's a great part time job!   I will do it!  :blink::blush:

If you mean Forslund's job, then I really don't want to hear your call Goalieman!  It is not a part time job.  It reminds me of people who see a pastor preach on Sunday and think: "Gee, write a sermon and you are done."

Nope.  John puts a lot of preparation into those games.  It is one reason he is so good.  He knows a bit about every (yes, every) player in the league, and even the up and coming.  He can identify them on the fly by their characteristics.  This doesn't just happen.

And like any other job, those guys have production meetings and all the crap we all have behind the scenes that make our jobs just enormous fun.

• Like 2

There have been behind the scenes stuff on Forslund and what he puts in time-wise and it's kind of crazy, especially with his national assignments. The prep is intense. The hours are very long. The travel is insane. Just read a nice piece on Doc Emerritt in the WSJ, and he is pretty amazing too. He's in his 70's, so he could cut back at some point, but it didn't seem like that was imminent.

Forslund seemed to miss more Canes games at the end of this year for national assignments, and I pointed that out, but if that started the rumor, then no reason to fear. Just seemed that he was doing more games at the end, and wondered if anyone knew why.

7 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Your rumor?  Source?

Didn't start this rumor.  Just reposting what I read from a dude who apparently has an inside source.  Not sure if it's true or not.  I hope not since I really like JF.

Nice to see a hire even if it isn't a GM. At least Paul Krepelka the new Vice President of Hockey Operations can negotiate contracts with our UFA and RFA .Maybe even a free agent pickup.....maybe.

We all want him to stay, who wouldn't?  National gig isn't every night anyway, so he likely still keeps the local gig plus the national.

10 hours ago, hockeybaby said:

Forsland will stay with the Canes. He has too. He needs to hear what Tripp had for dinner every night. :facepalm2:

But the down side is he will have to deal with Pierre and his inane statements. Especially ones like he said during game 3 of the Leafs - Bruins series .

• Like 1

I was thinking (I know dangerous right).  It appears some here overlook that Dundon is an admittedly successful businessman. 

They don't get that way without have detailed short and long range plans.  You can bet he has a road map laid out with contingencies.  But maybe that just me thinkin.

Ciao CC

• Like 1

I don't know what the fuss is over a little thing like an owner being the GM of the Hurricanes. It's already happened - when PK bought the Whalers in 1994, his partners were Thomas Thewes and JR - and that worked out well, didn't it? ;):lol:

Time to get moving TD. We don't just need a new GM in place to make player acquisitions of trades. There is much work to do internally, (more than previous seasons). Some of UFA's/RFA's may be part of trade discussions but it needs immediate focus. I posted this elsewhere but probably better suited here. Obviously no time to underestimate the need for a qualified GM or to penny pinch the position.

2018 Draft Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th (CAR and VGK)

Unrestricted Free Agents: Cam Ward, Lee Stempniak, Derek Ryan, Jeremy Smith, Brenden Kichton, Andrew Miller, Philip Samuelsson, Patrick Brown, Dennis Robertson, Jake Chelios

Restricted Free Agents:  Elias Lindholm, Joakim Nordström, Noah Hanifin, Andrew Poturalski, Klas Dahlbeck, Trevor van Riemsdyk, Phillip Di Giuseppe, Valentin Zykov, Lucas Wallmark, Trevor Carrick, Greg McKegg, Tyler Ganly, Keegan Kanzig, Sergey Tolchinsky

On 4/18/2018 at 4:54 PM, wxray1 said:

If you mean Forslund's job, then I really don't want to hear your call Goalieman!  It is not a part time job.  It reminds me of people who see a pastor preach on Sunday and think: "Gee, write a sermon and you are done."

Nope.  John puts a lot of preparation into those games.  It is one reason he is so good.  He knows a bit about every (yes, every) player in the league, and even the up and coming.  He can identify them on the fly by their characteristics.  This doesn't just happen.

And like any other job, those guys have production meetings and all the crap we all have behind the scenes that make our jobs just enormous fun.

Just throwing some humor out there! Didn't mean for anyone to take me seriously. :wacko:

Interesting ESPN article on TD...either a fluff piece, or he's legit: http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23296392/nhl-carolina-hurricanes-owner-tom-dundon-coaching-general-manager-search-more