The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Dundon in Charge

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Yeah, interesting to see his spin/take on the salary question. To him, it's a matter of not overpaying for talent. To everyone else who knows that he has no experience with owning a hockey team, it's low-balling (if he doesn't know anything about hockey, how can he determine how much talent a GM candidate has and how much that talent is worth?).

I apologize to anyone who surfaced/discussed the idea of TomD low-balling GM or coaching candidates.

4 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

(if he doesn't know anything about hockey, how can he determine how much talent a GM candidate has and how much that talent is worth?).

He might be a fast learner. At first, he didn't seem to have any problems letting Peters impress him ... 

22 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

(if he doesn't know anything about hockey, how can he determine how much talent a GM candidate has and how much that talent is worth?).

I understood him as it doesn't matter (much, in his opinion) hockey or not. IMO, he thinks that hockey is not that specific industry and completely accept that the person maybe outside of a hockey org. as far as he is talented and successfull, saying: "But I do think it would be surprising if there were only 30 people in the world who could do these jobs. We're looking for the talent, not the résumé."

48 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

48 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

He is a businessman. Successful ones understand how and when to enlist others knowledge in making decisions.  If they don't they wont be succesful for long.

• Like 1

I now have a fear that Don Waddell, whom I initially expected to be fired by mid-summer, is going to be made permanent GM, because our owner after searching could not find anyone more talented. And Tom, maybe there aren’t a lot more than 30 guys who can do that job WELL. Heck, Toronto employs 3 or 4 of them. Maybe the practices that made you a successful sub-prime lender and golf shop owner do translate directly to professional sports. I hope you are right.

I'm going to scare you all.  I'd prefer Waddell over Tommy continuing to run the show and shoot his mouth.

I'm no Waddell fan for sure.  But I'm also not so sure some of the things he's been known for through the years are a direct result of HIS management's direction.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

cc, I don't know where you got that second quote from me, as I can categorically state I DID NOT post it.

Had a problem with the website yesterday.  it did odd things, that is my quote .  Sorry for any confusion.

11 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I'm no Waddell fan for sure.  But I'm also not so sure some of the things he's been known for through the years are a direct result of HIS management's direction

Dumping Ron the Ref while raising parking prices sure as hell were!

14 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Dumping Ron the Ref while raising parking prices sure as hell were!

Dang!  I was trying to be optimistic, and you have to go ruin it and bring in reality.  Thanks!!!!

Does anyone have a pointer to the commercial where Waddell got sprayed in the face by a water bottle?  I need to put that on a gif loop.  I think I'd feel better.  Maybe we could have a fan contest to spray him live.

On 4/25/2018 at 6:52 AM, cc said:

Had a problem with the website yesterday.  it did odd things, that is my quote .  Sorry for any confusion.

I'm still having a few issues with the update, myself. Sorry if I was heavy-handed.

Trying to be optimistic.  Sunshine, rainbows and lollipops, you know. ☀️??

But we are running out of ?

Tommy I'm sending up a semaphore.  ????

OK.  I admit it.  I just wanted to test out the new message board features.  ?

• Like 1

Canesfanforever wrote:

As a canes fan   i can only hope that you  do what must be done  in order to make the hurricanes a successful franchise .   i dont assume to know the reason for why you chose to fire ron francis   nor do i care to find out .  i would however want you as owner of the hurricanes to do your part in damage control as a means to help the franchise in going forward to reassure other people  who may have their doubts about your approach to hockey that would settle their minds at ease .   i might be only be speaking for myself or i might not when i say this but , right now as a canes fan i have never been more afraid  .   im actually terrified that things might not go well  for this clubs future .   we need the best people  who will see that not only hockey at the highest level needs to be played here in north carolina but to also be respected  as much .   what i guess im really trying to say here is that   i want what's best for my carolina hurricanes  , this team  is more than just a team to me , it's like a family  that i care deeply about   and  like a family i want it to live on  and be happy and succeed at life .   so please Mr. Dundon   i beg of you , please reassure us that  you are willing to commit to this  club for the better .   thank you for your time   and GO CANES !!!

I suspect you'll get your answer from Tom when a GM and/or Coach is hired.  Until then, I suspect he'll lay low.

Expect push back from the media no matter who he names.  Even if he resurrected Gordie Howe from the grave, the Toronto based media (Especially Mr. Jeff O'Neil)  will criticize harshly.  Tom is an outsider and they don't like them.  It didn't help that he lit a match and exploded the fumes in his first month.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 3

I have been an out spoken critic of TD unorthodox approach but I gonna give TD and the Committee an A on the trade decision.  I don't know if the trade will work out but I am sure Kruger wsan't going to be back with us and I couldn't figure out short of buyout or a coupling him with one of our better players you could pull of a swap. Yeah we retained salary but that is better than a buyout. Martinook immediately makes us gritter. Maybe I should consider giving TD an A+

I wonder if the Francis office conversion to a conference room includes a round table?:letssee:

Playing off OBXer’s comment anything going on talk/trade wise with Rask and or Lindholm? For what they earn v what the produce in goals they would make good bait to do work with. 

4 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Playing off OBXer’s comment anything going on talk/trade wise with Rask and or Lindholm? For what they earn v what the produce in goals they would make good bait to do work with. 

LIndholm, i would be crushed if he was dealt.

• Like 1

Lindholm is an RFA. It is my hope that due to his so-so year, he can be signed for a reasonable deal. Had Lindy broken out this year one would think he'd need to be paid big time. I don't know what the right number is exactly, but keeping Lindholm's deal in a reasonable range based on actual production, could allow him to be a valuable piece moving forward.

Lindholm is still a very good player, even with his 27 game scoreless streak. He is frankly a miss at #5 overall though. He is #133 among forwards in points last year but he was #145 in goals (same number of goals as Brock McGinn). This is mid to bottom half second line.  It is top 6, but not top line. At the $2.7 million he was making, it was good value.

He should be paid that way moving forward too. And if he is, then the only issue becomes the draft order miss. It will probably always hurt that we missed Monahan, but every team can point to guys they missed in the draft, and a true miss is, oh, Boychuk or say Murphy. Guys taken in the first round that essentially amounted to zip.

The other thing about signing Lindholm for a reasonable deal is upside. I know, it's kind of tough to predict a big future production from a guy who is entering his 6th NHL year and put up 45 and 44 points, career highs, in the last two. And I know, I was wrong about him breaking 60 points this year. But this guy has been on paces of much higher for long stretches, so it is possible.

So, to me, the key on Lindholm is not signing him to a deal that reflects his #5 picking order anymore, but is fair based on productivity. This will allow him to be a good value with the upside of great value. Because if he's paid right, he's a guy I'd like on this team. Also, given his actual productivity, what trade value would make a trade for him really make sense? No trade, yes careful contract.

• Like 2

I’m in general agreement with that but based on where he seems to have slotted himself in the mix after 5 years he will always (imo) be a trade talk candidate. He has real solid puck/stick skills but is simply not a finisher at this level. He could also be bumped down a line by an up and comer Checker who can score at the NHL level. Rask? Move him or buy him out. If we move him we’ll be eating some salary. Hope he isn’t on the roster next Oct. 

I think another key in the situation is not giving Lindy a NTC/NMC.

When I say Lindholm should be paid that way, I don't mean his current salary, but paid like, say the number 5-6 forward on an average team. If we can to that, give him term but avoid a NTC, then hopefully we could at least trade him if he regresses, but keep the upside.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

give him term

I've got a feeling that TD is going to younger guys who have been here a while and who remain in October a clean slate. In Lindy's case, I think that means two years at something a little more - 500K to $1 million - than he's making now, as an incentive to earning a longer-term deal. He's only 23, which is easy to forget; and Dundon is a bottom-line guy who is going to demand performance before he'll pay. Under Dundon, I don't think guys who are inclined to bump up their efforts in contract years only will be around long. 

I doubt Rask is moved either. Beyond the difficulty of doing so given his injury, contract, and numbers, I think Dundon's own newness will "buy" Victor one and maybe two years, which frankly is only fair is in fact his shoulder issues have been chronic for the past two seasons, as the known facts seem to indicate.

It's great to think that Necas and other prospects can step right in and be top-six guys without missing a beat. But the NHL grind and game count are so much greater than anything they've seen in Europe that trying to force them into those roles too quickly--well, just look what it did to Lindholm. That said (and I've said this before) I do hope we start using the third and especially the fourth line to groom guys who are NHL ready but not top-six ready for those larger roles. Great offense starts with guys who are defensively responsible, and between their regular duties and PK time, there is no quicker fast track to teaching that. RF's notion of not bringing guys up until they can slot where they are ultimately expected to is foolhardy. It means established guys face no pressure to earn it every night, from hungrier guys on the roster. It also assures a revolving door of short-timers, which detracts from long-term team cohesion.

I'd rather draft guys second overall and forego all the fourth line grooming.  ?  Go get guys for the fourth line like Martinook.  Wallmark may be nothing more, but he's already better than the last two fourth line centers the team has brought in.  If good prospects can't play in the top-6 don't make them fourth liners.  Ronnie No Trade liked that approach.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

I get not give Lindy term, and making him prove it makes sense. But I'm sacrificing salary for term and no NTC. So if I give him 5 years at less money, I can always trade him. We have to have the cap space to fit Tavares in! ?

11 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Go get guys for the fourth line like Martinook.  Wallmark may be nothing more, but he's already better than the last two fourth line centers the team has brought in. 

I agree, and think having, at all times, one prospect on the fourth who you've got ticketed for bigger things is just sound development. I'd love to see Wallmark at 4C when the season opens.

Would still like to see a tougher edgier Canes squad next year. Someone who can play the game but is willing and has everyone’s back along with the McGinns who will throw their weight around in the corners where we remain very soft. Canes haven’t had that game for years and that has contributed to a general lack of respect for the team. Scott Walker was the last forward we had that played a tough game. The team at this point remain just another game on every teams schedule, nothing more. 

Edited by raleighcaniac
  • Like 1