The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Dundon in Charge

Anyone out there that would, oh, I don't know, maybe lick some guys faces to show how tough they are? No that would be stupid. No one would do that. Never mind.

He's taken "pest" to a whole new level, I'll give him that. And now he's got all summer to lick his wounds. 

Maybe it's the org's turn to pester Li'l Brad: Buy a one-time use license from the Rolling Stones for their iconic tongue logo and unfurl it from the scoreboard when the Bruins next take PNC ice, just before puck drop.

I think maybe he misinterpreted Knute Rockne's inspirational speech when he said "They can't lick us". 

• Like 1

He's on par with Avery, where he's leaving if not leaping past pest territory and entering embarrassing to the game territory.

I will give you this Tom Dundon. You aren't boring and you are making it difficult for the hockey world not to sit up and take notice.

• Like 3

Dumb moves TD...What does Waddell have on you? Did you not look at his previous employment???

During his tenure as general manager of the Thrashers, the team recorded a 308-401-45-66 record and made their lone playoff appearance after winning the NHL's Southeast Division in 2006-07. That's 10 years of NO PLAYOFFS out of 11 years!

Brindamour probably need to be the HC in Charlotte first.

We will know how truly dumb you are if you let Waddell trade the #2 pick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Dumb moves TD...What does Waddell have on you? Did you not look at his previous employment???

During his tenure as general manager of the Thrashers, the team recorded a 308-401-45-66 record and made their lone playoff appearance after winning the NHL's Southeast Division in 2006-07. That's 10 years of NO PLAYOFFS out of 11 years!

Brindamour probably need to be the HC in Charlotte first.

We will know how truly dumb you are if you let Waddell trade the #2 pick.

Dude, don't hold back now...

9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Dude, don't hold back now...

I won't...I could live with Brindamour, but I see Waddell as a huge mistake...I could be wrong...maybe he learned from his mistakes in Atlanta...Guess we will soon see with the upcoming offseason moves...They have a lot of work in front of them! I hope for the Caniacs that I'm wrong about Waddell.

Heck, I was wrong about JR in Pittsburgh!

Now that we have the internal management decisions out of the way the ball is in TD's court. He's made a lot of statements about giving everyone the tools to succeed and it's time to start producing. Time to unload some pawns and acquire a few bishops and Kings. 

• Like 1

The thing I wonder about is this. We are forming a committee. We already have Don Waddell as President, what harm would there be in getting another outside voice, maybe a younger analytically oriented GM to join the committee rather than giving Waddell two jobs?

53 minutes ago, remkin said:

what harm would there be in getting another outside voice, maybe a younger analytically oriented GM to join the committee rather than giving Waddell two jobs?

No harm and maybe TD would even prefer such a team member, but he probably got stuck with search/hiring or running out of candidates and definitely running out of time to have personnel in place for draft and beyond.

Edited by Caniac514

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

The thing I wonder about is this. We are forming a committee. We already have Don Waddell as President, what harm would there be in getting another outside voice, maybe a younger analytically oriented GM to join the committee rather than giving Waddell two jobs?

Perhaps the committee concept/salary is the sour note on all previously interested parties. Even a younger candidate would want some form of autonomy. Would I want a job if the majority of my ideas had to pass through a committee? If my ideas and plans were continually overturned by the committee with the owner making the final call, I'd resign or be fired. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Perhaps the committee concept/salary is the sour note on all previously interested parties. Even a younger candidate would want some form of autonomy. Would I want a job if the majority of my ideas had to pass through a committee? If my ideas and plans were continually overturned by the committee with the owner making the final call, I'd resign or be fired. 

That's why my job sucks!  Now I get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Very true. This Waddell thing could be after a series of "thanks, but no thanks" from potential GM's. But still then you have the risk of hockey neophyte TD making decisions in an echo chamber. I think that actually overstates things, but it reflects the downside of this decision. I still have to think there is someone, somewhere with ability that would take the job even as described and still add more than not having that person and Waddel, his 69 yo buddy and TD making all decisions.

• Like 4

The more I think about this, the weirder it gets.

We don't know the terms of DW's contract, right?  Maybe 1 yr?  Maybe filled with bonus clauses?  Unconventional, right?

What just happened here, TD??????

8 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Now that we have the internal management decisions out of the way the ball is in TD's court. He's made a lot of statements about giving everyone the tools to succeed and it's time to start producing. Time to unload some pawns and acquire a few bishops and Kings. 

I'd be content with a practice facility. That'd go a long way in allaying fears over The Grim Reaper's Waddell's elevation. The #2 pick is yuuuuuge, and any move that costs it is not worth doing IMO. Add a bonafide #1 keeper and we're good to go.

SeaBass and Turbo lead all scorers at the IIHF with 11 and 10 points respectively in - wait for it - THREE games. And you gotta love the pic atop this story. That's Aho in the slot, protecting his noggin from a puck whizzing by his shoulder. I've been critical of RF and deservedly so. But both Aho and TT were genius moves. These two are going to be good together for a very long time.

Maybe Joni Pitkanen wants to be a GM...

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo

8 hours ago, remkin said:

And would this hypothetical candidate happen to frequent these boards? And have a handle that is "nikmer" when spelled backwards??

Rem. They didn't like your resume. Accept it and move on, big fella.

8 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd be content with a practice facility. That'd go a long way in allaying fears over The Grim Reaper's Waddell's elevation. The #2 pick is yuuuuuge, and any move that costs it is not worth doing IMO. Add a bonafide #1 keeper and we're good to go.

SeaBass and Turbo lead all scorers at the IIHF with 11 and 10 points respectively in - wait for it - THREE games. And you gotta love the pic atop this story. That's Aho in the slot, protecting his noggin from a puck whizzing by his shoulder. I've been critical of RF and deservedly so. But both Aho and TT were genius moves. These two are going to be good together for a very long time.

Maybe Joni Pitkanen wants to be a GM...

This probably belongs in the IIHF thread at this point, but excellent pic!  I still don't get how Finland and Sweden are such hockey hotbeds while the other country on their peninsula is barely an also-ran.

11 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And would this hypothetical candidate happen to frequent these boards? And have a handle that is "nikmer" when spelled backwards??

Rem. They didn't like your resume. Accept it and move on, big fella.

?. I don't get it. I've watched a lot of hockey and have an embarrassingly large number of posts here. Sure I've been wrong about some things, but I've been right too. How am I not qualified? I even told them I'd just sit quietly in the corner and spoke only if spoken to. Just don't get it. :letssee:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, remkin said:

?. I don't get it. I've watched a lot of hockey and have an embarrassingly large number of posts here. Sure I've been wrong about some things, but I've been right too. How am I not qualified? I even told them I'd just sit quietly in the corner and spoke only if spoken to. Just don't get it. :letssee:

They heard something about an island you built in a known tsunami zone, or something.  Rumor has it that it once existed, but does no more.  I think that spooked them off.  Not exactly a record of success. ?

... Of course, that didn't stop TD from hiring DW!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

They heard something about an island you built in a known tsunami zone, or something.  Rumor has it that it once existed, but does no more.  I think that spooked them off.  Not exactly a record of success. ?

... Of course, that didn't stop TD from hiring DW!

That was a long time ago! Of course so was Waddell's time in Atlanta.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

That was a long time ago! Of course so was Waddell's time in Atlanta.

:)