The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Dundon in Charge

Guys unconventional doesnt mean wrong. I am a Browns fans also and saw this with their last FO. While in 2 years the team didnt seem to get any better ( a lot has to do with awful coaching moves) that unconventional FO laid the ground work for what looks like it could be a changing of the guard. Even national rags have taken notice and 1 article  I read today said they could be a dark horse of a wild card. Of course the outgoing group will get zero credit for this and were trashed everyday by the national media, but it was because they went against the grain and challenged the good ol' boys network. Its the same thing happening here. The media is feed by their "contacts" in the league who dont want to be shown up by outsiders. It very well may fail we will have to wait and see, but I wouldnt worry about the media and their thoughts I would just wait it out and see what happens.

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Someone told me today that Dundon is building a practice facility somewhere.  Can anyone verify this?  I don't remember reading or hearing anything about it.

There is a multi sport complex currently  being built by Jeff Ammons in Morrisville that will include two ice rinks.  Only new facility featuring ice rinks I have heard of being built.  Maybe that is what they were thinking about.

Outside of Justin Williams building a 3.6 million home in Cary, I dont see anything hurricanes/hockey related on the list of building permits for wake county.  

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Someone told me today that Dundon is building a practice facility somewhere.  Can anyone verify this?  I don't remember reading or hearing anything about it.

Sure, here are directions to the site:

You'll need a kayak. Paddle east to Rem's Island. If you find that, you'll also find it easy to see the two-sheet rink being built on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Outside of Justin Williams building a 3.6 million home in Cary, I dont see anything hurricanes/hockey related on the list of building permits for wake county.  

Hmmm. Sounds like J. Willy is planning on sticking around a while.

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Sure, here are directions to the site:

You'll need a kayak. Paddle east to Rem's Island. If you find that, you'll also find it easy to see the two-sheet rink being built on it.

How'd you know that? I've been keeping it secret!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hmmm. Sounds like J. Willy is planning on sticking around a while.

I wish that they didn’t post the address on residential property permits. Luckily our fans aren’t that ridiculous.  

10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I wish that they didn’t post the address on residential property permits. Luckily our fans aren’t that ridiculous.  

Too much information out there for the crazies to act on.  But anyway, that's great to hear!   The area is slowly building a committed group of resident alumni.

Deeper in Elliot Friedman's 31 points piece (which had the really good Brind'Amour stuff) was this from the GM of the LA Kings:

"We do a lot of manual tracking. When a goal is scored, how did it originate? Now, we are studying that with other teams. What we want is to have someone streamline all of that, make it easier to read and define, more user-friendly." (Bold is mine).

This is the kind of "advanced stats" I'm hoping Dundon was talking about. We've been at the top of advanced stats that use proxies like shots generated and suppressed, but what that really is, is advanced treatment of old and arguably bad stats. What the Kings, and hopefully, we will be doing, is getting advanced data first, then working with that.

When Aho makes a sweet play, takes a hit and send the puck off the boards up to set up a 2 on 1, and two passes later there's a goal, but Aho doesn't get a point...that type of thing. Conversely a guy takes a harmless shot from the point and it deflects twice off defenseman and goes in, and that guy gets a goal, downgrading that data. Basically trying to figure out who is truly affecting the game by directly observing it and creating separate categories, like a guy skating back hard after a long shift and disrupting a 2:1 the other way, stuff like that. They actually have people watching the games keeping track of this stuff.

The data gathering is actually so remarkably low tech, I'm sort of surprised this is a new thing. But we surely need to be part of that. This not only helps us decide which player to keep, but which player to target, and especially a guy worth more than his point production that might be available.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, remkin said:

The data gathering is actually so remarkably low tech, I'm sort of surprised this is a new thing. But we surely need to be part of that. This not only helps us decide which player to keep, but which player to target, and especially a guy worth more than his point production that might be available.

As someone that worked on one of the original online gamecasts for hockey back in the stone age (2000) , I can tell you that collecting data from hockey is very difficult without a significant amount of manual effort.  The big issue is unlike every other sport, the players on the ice are continually changing.    Usually, you need one person per team to keep track of who is on the ice and a third person to keep track of play and not worry about who is on the ice. This is not an easy problem to solve.

2 hours ago, ironman87 said:

As someone that worked on one of the original online gamecasts for hockey back in the stone age (2000) , I can tell you that collecting data from hockey is very difficult without a significant amount of manual effort.  The big issue is unlike every other sport, the players on the ice are continually changing.    Usually, you need one person per team to keep track of who is on the ice and a third person to keep track of play and not worry about who is on the ice. This is not an easy problem to solve.

I am far from an expert on this. I'm basing my thoughts on an interview I heard with someone from a company that collects this data and sells it to NHL teams. I don't know the details, but I think they use mostly game video and people with a DVR just watching and recording things that affect play. I don't know exactly, but I think it's more about documenting "significant plays". They are not doing plus-minus necessarily keeping track of everyone on the ice, but keep track of good plays and bad plays whether they immediately lead to points or not. They are finding guys that make high impact plays either good or bad.

An example would be a certain D man gets out of position then gets beaten like a rented mule, resulting in a grade A chance, but the goalie makes a highlight reel save, so no points and no affect on plus minus. This company dings that D man big time where as traditional stats completely let it go. If a player has a great goalie or keeps getting bailed out by a strong D man or back checking center, these guys would still catch it and mark him down much more than his actual plus-minus. And similar examples all over the ice both good and bad. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking 95% or more of those plays are right there on camera. Need to create the system of what categories and how to rate them, and that part is probably tricky, and then need to validate that there is some correlation with points, but the actual sitting there rewinding and re watching and jotting things down is pretty low tech.

But that sort of information could reveal guys who are better or worse than their numbers reflect. A guy who might break out, or a guy to avoid that is likely overrated.

Here's an excerpt from an article describing a talk Teofilo was giving at a Euopean hockey forum.  Tells a lot about what we might be expecting him to do.  It would be interesting to see how he and Tulsky interact, although I doubt we ever will.

http://www.eurohockeyclubs.com/news/synergy-sports-bob-teofilo-to-address-video-analytics-at-e-h-c-forum

To address analytical innovations specifically designed to hockey, the E.H.C. Alliance is happy to announce Bob Teofilo of Synergy Sports Technology as a confirmed speaker at the Hockey Business Forum on 11 November at the Globe Hotel in Stockholm.

Teofilo will speak about “video and analytics coming to European Professional hockey”. Synergy has built a versatile analytics and video platform across multiple professional sports. Synergy advanced video and analytics software is currently used on a global level, which includes usage on six continents and in over 100 countries. To connect the hockey events to the video, Synergy creates the data, then corresponds that data to the video.

Edited by LakeLivin

Sounds a lot like what I'm talking about. May even be the exact company. If so, very good move long term IMHO.