The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CarolinaFan2002

Are we the new Atlanta Thrashers?(The hard truth)

I keep trying to have hope, but with this team trying to make the playoffs with rookies and vets no one else wants.  I see no hope.  All the while watching the team over the mountain winning playoff games and reminding me alot of the franchise we used to be, Go Preds!!!

No one wants to play here.  We are seen has a dead end franchise, players don't want to play here because we are seen has a losing franchise , permanent rebuilders the list goes on.  Which is why something needs to be done about the free agent rules, because how can a bad team get better if free agents will take less to play for better teams.

If we don't start winning soon, and if we don't start filling up the seats, admit it or not, we will be sold again , and probably to someone who wants to move.  The cup win in 06 is ancient history, and means absolutely nothing now.  But the problem is, it would take a magician to get talent on the ice and talent in the front office in order to become contenders again, because the previous ownership has run this club into the ground.  Erik Cole was right, you can't win if you aren't willing to pay for the talent and experience to win.   

I hope I am wrong, and I hope the new owner is the magician we need, but right now I have no hope for this franchise.

but with that said, I will be a canes fan untill there are no canes!!!!!!!

Welcome CF2002.

Great first post, it exposes what I'm sure is in the back of many fans' minds. But I think you'll find most if not all on this board are cautiously optimistic about Dundon. Maybe its just irrational exuberance at finally being rid of PK. TD looks like he's feeling his way, and I'm not sure he isn't. But he's also proven to be a quick study in all his prior endeavors, and absolutely has something PK lacked: youthful enthusiasm. Few things are more contagious. I'm looking forward to a very interesting summer.

First I need to go make sure that BD didn't re-register as someone else. Second, if not, welcome to the boards CarolinaFan2002. Third, the points you raise are valid, though in all honesty a bit deflating when they are strung together. Fourth, respectful dissent makes the boards more interesting. Fifth, have you met BD58?

But seriously, this franchise has to be at it's nadir. Will we stay down and start to become the Cleveland Browns? No one knows for sure. I don't think so, but I've been wrong about the overall team for a while now, so I don't really know either. All I can do is look at what we can see and try to decide if we are doomed, or if we are about to begin our move back up.

I think we have a core here that can win. Aho was revealed as a star, and if he stops waiting 15 or so games to start scoring the puck, he has 35 plus goal potential and does lost of other things too. Almost lost in Aho's unveiling was TT who is putting his uber skill game together too. The D will improve, it has been very young. I think we have a good coach (if he stays). Really, to be at least in the playoffs, we just needed Scott Darling to be someone else. This is both good and bad. The good, one player is all we need. The bad, we've been chronically unable to find that guy forever.

Personally I think that the plan really is not that complicated. We need to move some dead weight out (see my ranking list). Find at least one D for O trade for a talented forward, and, of course, find a serviceable #1 goalie to replace Darling. (And that will be the hardest part clearly). If by some miracle, we can sign, say JVR, from UFA, that would also help a lot.

But if we trade Faulk or Hanifin for a serious forwards: ROR, Stone, Hoffman, or better.....and trade the other one for a goalie?

That would be enough.

We also have talent pushing up from below. People tend to overlook it, but Zykov and Foegele looked like top 9 NHL forwards, and led the AHL in goals. And Kuokkanen, who looked near ready at the start of this past season, seems to be finding his game of late. Martin Necas has star potential, and then there is a bevy of other guys who could breakout next  year.

Yeah, I'm painting the glass half full. But it is a legit way to look at a half full glass.

The real questions will be the actual moves. Is Dundon able to re-set, and get a good GM? Are he and that GM et al able to coax a UFA here? Can they find us a goalie? Can they trade a D man for a real productive forward? Can they move out the dead weight? If Peters leaves can they get a good coach in here? If he stays can they make enough changes to the team to create positivity next year? I think they can and will.

It is going to be a challenge, but after years of Francis doing the good hard work of building something without many super high picks, and then years of him unable to get off his hands and make a trade type move, the base he built is here for the right deal maker to move a few parts around.

It is a very very dark time watching everyone else in the playoffs (seems like everyone else), and for me, it also sucks that we always seem to be in maximum pain territory stuck just out of the playoffs but picking (probably) around 11-12. I'd like to see something done with the draft. We have a nice farm system, if we want to trade some picks/prospects as part of a deal to upgrade that forward: Hanifin plus our second rounder ....or something, or my wish, move up the draft board and grab a future star.

Anyways, as I was typing Top rang in. I agree with the basic idea for this offseason. At least this time will be different. So there's that.

Short answer: no

Reasons why not:
1. We're not located in Georgia 

2. Our mascot is waaaay cooler than that stupid bird they had

3. We actually did stuff when we made the playoffs...like win a cup

4. We have ownership who actually seems to care about the organization

5. We have Rod Brind'Amour

Next question ;)

• Like 1

Welcome CarolinaFan! As usual, Rem said it all, and he nailed it. But most importantly just look at our goalie situation. The guy we brought in to be our #1 won 13 games in 40 starts. Also pushed our #2 who was doing well in that role into much more work than he is still able to deliver. If Darling wins just 1/2 of his starts, that’s 7 more wins and takes us to 97 points. Of course this means nothing if our new owner and management don’t fix it. But Dundon has left behind “we like our group” for “changes are coming.” Keep the faith. And just to address the Thrashers comparison, on the rare occasions they made the playoffs, they NEVER won a single game. Though it’s been a while, the Canes have a Stanley Cup, a SC finals appearance, and an Eastern Conference finals appearance. Our fans have tasted the best of playoff hockey in a way the Atlanta fans never did.

CF2002, Welcome

Not sure really where to begin this rebuttal, but just off, curious, does your logo imply that you began to follow Canes hockey that year? If so, just skip over the rest of these thoughts, because I'm about to launch in on those formative years, the Thrashers and this franchise's status, AS I SEE IT.

The points top, rem, AWACSooner, bdc and others have made are all valid, largely addressing the TD evolution I'll call it. My take, and I'll preface it by admitting up front that I continue to be a hockey neophyte even as a fan of this team for some 16 years now, but as my logo implies, I'm a Cajun from the Deep South thus more adept at crawfish eating than catfish hurling. But my take is that from its inception, this franchise has had to battle overt elitism of the Canadian and Original 6 clan, smugly critical of any team not of their group. With the constant media snickering about Mayberry and pot shots at NASCAR, this team has labored for 20 years with low crowd leftovers from college sports. This fact makes the Canes an easy target for those, particularly Canadian, teams whose fortunes have been on the wane for a bit, so as to deflect from their misery?

So, how does that address your concerns, very little, but it does at least give you some of the nuance from where "fears or hopes", depending on where your alligance might lie, comes from? But my confidence in this matter comes from 2 places. 1st, as a hockey venue, Atlanta and Raleigh comparisons are "apple and orange" comparisons, as this site has thoroughly explored thru many years. Namely, the financial arrangements of the 2 venues greatly compromised the Thrasher organization who became victims of ownership infighting. Not so much here as I think most agree that the Canes do enjoy a "sweetheart deal" shared with only one other tenet.

But more than anything, I take some comfort, both from Gary Bettman's staunch support for what appears his brain child placement of our team here, as well as the realization that a team in this location helps to bridge the northeast venues, including New York and New Jersey, with the 2 sites in Florida. As much as anything, I am reassured in the viability of this venue from the drive to capture and be competitive with other major sports. Now maybe I'm being naive, but I believe that Raleigh is a key cog in maximizing viewership along the coast and in the east, particularly with the way that the Research Triangle continues to grow.

Rem, this statement rules out BD58...

but with that said, I will be a canes fan untill there are no canes!!!!!!!

...he is never that supportive.

CF2002, I understand your concerns. I used to live in Macon an hour south of Atlanta. While they didn't have as much competition from college sports as we do, just Tech and "To Hell With Georgia" (I was a Ramblin' Wreck) nearby, they had NFL, NBA, and MLB all in town for direct competition plus Tech had it's own venues and could have games same night.

The Canes have no in-town competition since State shares the venue, so sports fans have less options on any given night. The Canes also have huge advantages over the Charlotte teams in being significantly more conveniently located for fans in Eastern Carolina, no way can I go to work the next day driving back from Charlotte to the coast. 

Add to that the fact that you have more displaced northerners in the Carolinas, lots of military, and the growth of hockey in other areas we have a more knowledgeable market for NHL. 

The only thing the Canes are lacking is a consistent product to sell. If this team fails here it isn't because of the market, it is because they have been selling garbage to long.

A BIG problem we have is a serious rival. There isn't a team where Canes fans jam the stands to watch them win. If we can build a rivalry, then we might have a shot at remaining in Raleigh.

46 minutes ago, winger52 said:

A BIG problem we have is a serious rival. There isn't a team where Canes fans jam the stands to watch them win. If we can build a rivalry, then we might have a shot at remaining in Raleigh.

Need to win first and spend money to get more talent in here.  Anything less well result in the same outcome.

15 hours ago, winger52 said:

This is true. We have had the makings of a few over the years but they never really kept. The Devils when Brodeur was in net seemed like we needed to get by him in the play offs and those games were always chippy. The Caps is a natural one because of proximity. The one I would like to see become big is the Bolts, because we both are southern teams, both have won and both have been around about the same amount of time but they never seem to be good at the same time. Another direction would be the Preds if Seattle gets a team, they go into the Pac, move either Vegas or Zona to the central and bump Nashville to the Met. But none of this matters if we and whatever other team can not compete at the same time.  

Well, just read this quote on NHL.com so it looks possible to me!

"Dudley will report to Hurricanes president Don Waddell, furthering a relationship that dates to 1986, when Dudley was coach of Flint in the International Hockey League and hired Waddell as an assistant. They worked together most recently with the Atlanta Thrashers when Waddell, then general manager, hired Dudley as assistant GM in 2009."