The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jbrickell

A little funny

Amen! I can't stand country music either, I dont know why. (Rap/hip hop is just as bad but thats off topic). Im surprised they're not playing it down here considering we are technically the south. I just hope those poor canadians arent too traumatized :P

Hey, there's a lot of great hip hop out there...it's just not on MTV or those radio stations that play the same five songs all day long.

Why do so many hockey players like country music? I know they have devoted their whole lives to hockey so they don't have time to like, you know, find decent music to listen to...but still. Why country? Scott Walker's favorite "musician" is Toby Keith. That right there made me lose a lot of respect for him. But don't tell him I said that--he might punch me in the face repeatedly.

If you like country music, please just read my post and laugh...I'm not trying to start a fight.

I like country music because usually it tells a story. Sometimes the story is funny, sometimes it's sad. Rap is just an excuse to repeatedly chant expletives and try to pass it off as 'art' to the unsuspecting public. Rock can be completely pointless but sound interesting, like the Ramones. Everyone likes different things.

I can't stand country music. It's funny because that is all I ever heard growing up. I do like the old stuff but this new country is just horrible. I like classical rock myself with some new stuff like Linkin Park. I listen to mostly to 96 rock and 107 the river.

My wife listens to country and we used to argue over the radio. Now she understands that if I'm in the car, I will not be subjected to "country music" and that it's my music or no music. "Country music

I've always been open to new kinds of music and have recently started being more open to country music. Now, I don't listen to the old-time "classics" that are Hank Williams Jr. or Johnny Paycheck, but I am really getting in to the new stuff. I think the appeal for it, or at least for me, is that it's very simple. Most songs now a days don't so much tell a story, but they give a briefing so to speak and when you find that one song that sums up how you're feeling at a particular moment, that's why I listen. Don't get me wrong, I'll never be a huge fan of the country songs that tell a story so that if you rewind the song you get your dog, your truck, and your girl back. Too cliche :D .

Yeah but ones like "Some Beach" by Blake Shelton are how most of use feel some days. =D

That sums up a typical day for a lot of folks for sure, but I think why people listen to songs like that is cause once they hear it sung, it's comforting to know you're not the only one dealing with BS daily :lol: .

Let me preface this by saying I am a music snob. I love many types of music, but there is one thing I just don't get and that is country music. I don't begrudge anyone their twang and drawl, I just don't dig it.

That being said I'm watching "Defining Moments" on NHL Network and it is Game 2 of the 1993 SCF between Montreal and LA. After taking a penalty, over the Montreal sound system comes the dulcet tones of Billy Ray Cyrus singing "Achy Breaky Heart".

It seems not even the French Canadians could escape the horror of that song in 1993. I'm thinking the real question is...how many years did it take them to stop playing it after penalties?

It was actually a jab at Kings' coach Barry Melrose. Don Cherry kept referring to him as Billy Ray Cyprus because of their bad mullets and they just rubbed it in over the PA when the games were played in Montreal.

I listen to mainly rock and goth/industrial. Wow, imagine that one. Occassionally, I pull out the hair bands, but I love older Metallica and not the newer stuff! There is nothing more enjoyable than watching Chad LaRose sing "Pour Some Sugar on Me."

It was actually a jab at Kings' coach Barry Melrose. Don Cherry kept referring to him as Billy Ray Cyprus because of their bad mullets and they just rubbed it in over the PA when the games were played in Montreal.

Ohhhhh! Well that makes sense. I couldn't get over country music, specifically Billy Ray Cyrus, being played in Montreal, but now that you've cleared that up, I can give them back a little of the respect they lost.

Scott Walker's favorite "musician" is Toby Keith. That right there made me lose a lot of respect for him.

Maybe because Toby is an in your face, take no prisoners type of entertainer, like Walker is an in your face, bust up your face, kind of player. Seeing Toby sing Courtesy from the Red, White, and Blue to the troops is quite emotional. He actually make numerous trips to see the troops. Also, nothing like the lyrics: "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was". Cracks me up everytime I hear it.