The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Needed A New Bench Boss

Agree the first step is to get a GM but for discussion some NHL coaches available

Lindy Ruff
Dan Bylsma
Darryl Sutter
Alain Vigneault

11 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

As far as I could appreciate TD unorthodox approach to business, let's find GM first. ;)

Yeah, that.  Find the GM and then let him hire his own coach.

14 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

As far as I could appreciate TD unorthodox approach to business, let's find GM first. ;)

Although I agree we should hire a GM first the team release indicates the team will immediately begin the search for a new coach. That could be indicating they will begin looking and wait for a GM to make a decision or it could mean TD is not waiting on anyone.

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

it could mean TD is not waiting on anyone

oh,definitely it could be an option for TD.

TD: "New coach, this is new GM. New GM, this is new HC. Now go to your recently-vacated, freshly repainted offices and tell me how you are going to bring SC back in Raleigh". :) 

• Like 1

Aggressive offensive style.   Enough with the defensive system coaching.   Worst mistake we ever made was moving on from Lav after he had 2 seasons with injury decimation.

I would like a similar minded stylistic approach.  After all, this is supposed to be fun, and winning games 2-1 beats watching paint dry only by a nose.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Agree the first step is to get a GM but for discussion some NHL coaches available

Lindy Ruff - NO
Dan Bylsma - NO
Darryl Sutter - YES
Alain Vigneault - YES

Fixed that for you! :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocheccw said:
2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Lindy Ruff - NO
Dan Bylsma - NO
Darryl Sutter - YES
Alain Vigneault - YES

Fixed that for you! :) 

What you can say about Dave Tippett?

I'd hate to try to make the captain role mine when I've got Roddy looking over my shoulder, which I think has been an issue to begin with and will continue if he stays behind the bench.

Edited by legend-1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Lindy Ruff- Nope...Slugs connection aside, he couldn't cut it in Dallas for three years with all that talent?  Think of how badly he'd do here with a lot less talent.
Dan Bylsma- OH HELL NO!!!  His tenure at the Evil Empire was a pure product of the talent on the ice, not his coaching ability.  He stank it up ever since then.
Darryl Sutter- Everything I've ever heard about his tenures in Calgary and LA involved him running players into the ground...his way or the highway.  I think we've had enough of the "Play to my system" type coaching.  Pass.
Alain Vigneault- Intriguing...but after his time with the Rags, I don't know if he can get us to where we need to be to remain consistently a playoff contender.  It seems like he did well with Vancouver because the cupboard was stocked and he just needed to make a few minor adjustments.  As soon as the bigger players started leaving, he started faltering.

Calling Dave Tippett...Dave Tippett, you have a call on line 1.

1 minute ago, legend-1 said:

I'd hate to try to make the captain role mine when I've got Roddy looking over my shoulder, which I think has been an issue to begin with and will continue if he stays behind the bench.

In Rod's defense, at least you know he'd hold players accountable...and he'd make sure whomever wore the C actually had some real leadership talent...

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Calling Dave Tippett...Dave Tippett, you have a call on line 1.

Flames are said to be considering Tippett too. Certainly an option for us if he is available.

I seriously don't understand the anti-Rod stance.  I can't imagine anyone here has any knowledge how he would be as a head coach, positive or negative.   He was a stellar leader on ice in 2006.  The team almost universally says he willed the guys to the cup.  He was coached by Laviolette during that period, for all we know that is his favorite style.  he has coached as an assistant for other head coaches.  

He has no head coach experience, but has played for head coaches and/or worked for them his entire life.  He must have his own opinions about what worked and what didn't.  I can understand being worried about it, but being certain he is a bad move is what I don't get.  When he did his chalk talk on the PP I was astounded on how much he educated us on the PP, but I should not have been.  Duh, he played for over half his life and coached  as well.  I think he has seen a PP or 2.

Lack of head coaching experience I get. 

He may very well go the way of other players made coach, but sometimes they work as well.  We won't know until someone tries him.

• Like 4

hag, IMHO the angst over Rod, or any other "unproven entity" has more to do with our lengthy absence from significant hockey (playoffs), than from any "anti-Rod stance". My unrest, and that's all I can attest to, is due to our time challenged patience level, and the need to "get it right" this time around, a sure thing if you will, as if that's possible. Of those coaches mentioned above, I really do not particularly like any. My preference, and I forget his name now, but he coached the Fla Panthers about the time I think we had Mueller? But I think it's highly possible that Rod could be successful.

Well, I do get that another fail would be monstrous.  No denying that.

I read a lot about Tippett and I just feel like if he is pursued by multiple clubs we have no shot.  He is also going to command a crapload of $.  I honestly think he is exactly the kind of guy we need, just don't see how we get him if someone like the Rangers want him, for example.  He would be perfect for what they need as well.

21 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

hag, IMHO the angst over Rod, or any other "unproven entity" has more to do with our lengthy absence from significant hockey (playoffs), than from any "anti-Rod stance". My unrest, and that's all I can attest to, is due to our time challenged patience level, and the need to "get it right" this time around, a sure thing if you will, as if that's possible. Of those coaches mentioned above, I really do not particularly like any. My preference, and I forget his name now, but he coached the Fla Panthers about the time I think we had Mueller? But I think it's highly possible that Rod could be successful.

Peter DeBoer, Kevin Dineen or Peter Horachek ?

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

Aggressive offensive style.   Enough with the defensive system coaching.   Worst mistake we ever made was moving on from Lav after he had 2 seasons with injury decimation.

I would like a similar minded stylistic approach.  After all, this is supposed to be fun, and winning games 2-1 beats watching paint dry only by a nose.

And hoping the oppositions back up goalie doesn't play like a Vezina candidate.

Listened to XM at the top of the hour, and they had Bob McKenzie on.

Basically, Bob is observing as he calls this "unconventional" in every way.  He was respectful, but you could tell he was also a bit baffled and out of his comfort zone with Dundon.

His take is that we just need to watch and see what happens.

For Tippett, he was thinking Dallas may be in the mix.

• Like 1