The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Needed A New Bench Boss

18 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Peter DeBoer, Kevin Dineen or Peter Horachek ?

Yes OBXer, thanks. Kevin Dineen was who I was thinking, wonder where he is? What do others think about him?

53 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I seriously don't understand the anti-Rod stance. 

If Rod is being considered why not Steve Smith? Smith has more credentials than Rod.I'm not totally anti Rod, I just think it's time to go outside of the family and to acquire someone who has proven head coach experience with a winning record. It's time to get away from 1st time candidates, !st time head coach (Peters) first time starting goalie(Mongo). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Flames are said to be considering Tippett too. Certainly an option for us if he is available.

Not sure Tippett would be a match for analytical driven Dundon. After his firing last year, Tippett laid low, waiting for the right situation and is "rejuvenated" to return to the bench. His departure from Arizona was said to involve a difference in philosophy with Brad Chayka, the young, analytics-driven general manager. Tippett preferred a veteran roster; Chayka wanted to move on from players such as Shane Doan who didn't factor into the team's long-term future.

4 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

As far as I could appreciate TD unorthodox approach to business, let's find GM first. ;)

That's the thing if TD is unorthodox and is impatient does he hire Roddy quickly to nail down that void and then continue to look for a GM? Gm's would probably want to bring in their own coach and may reduce the candidates if Rod is already in place. If Rod is in place I would bet Steve Smith stays as well. A new GM would probably clean house. Interesting to see how this develops.

• Like 1

Tom Dundon: Please hire a GM first and don’t meddle in his choice of a coach. If Dundon hires a coach before a GM, I don’t see any credible GM candidate coming here. The die will already be cast that the owner will override the GM on even the most important decisions whenever he pleases.

If we are going to give an ex-player a shot at coaching I'd prefer Martin Gelinas' personally.  He was always smart, professional and did the little things all over the ice to win.  He has also been out long enough as a former player in my opnion to have absorbed what coaching would be all about and he already knows the player development role.

Still if a former head coach is out there that has already been the HC I would prefer them over even Gelinas'.

• Like 1

After firing Ronnie Franchise, does Dundon want to put himself in the position of eventually firing another legend? I guess it doesn't matter if he's the right guy for the job.

Reason to hire Brind'Amour: legendary work ethic, widely heralded as a very strong leader, knows our system if we stay with it. 

Reason not to hire him: no head coach experience at any meaningful level, part of the staff during a lot of losing, been with this organization much of his hockey and all of his post hockey life. Mixed results on PP. Hard to fire. Not sure, but not thinking a great X/O coach. 

I think part of the problem with a legend like Brindy is would he go down to the AHL and learn the head coach craft? Not used to lots of long bus rides and minor league stadiums. But shouldn't a guy do that before stepping up to head coach NHL? Also, another guy trying out the head coach job for the first time is not ideal. 

I want us to go outside and ideally snipe a guy with NHL head coaching experience. 

I think Dundon's out is the GM. Bring in the new GM and give him the final say on the new coach. 

I fully realize I could be completely wrong and maybe motivation and leadership trump all. But I want a coach's coach. A guy that has lived it and been the HC at different levels with success along the way.

OK, I guess Luke peeks here, and I suspect other boards are of the same mind.

I woke up at 3 AM today and actually had Rod as coach on my mind.  I may be coming around to the idea.  I guess my fear is the experience with Gretzky and others.  But Roddy is a different kind of player.  He had to earn his way in the league.  He has good God given talent, but he had to work to make it Great.  He wasn't just annointed Great, and judging by the stupid Hall of Fame, he still isn't Great in their minds.  (A whole different mess, and just shows how incestuous the hockey community is.)

So, yeah, maybe.  I'm coming around to the idea more and more.  He certainly is very different than Ronnie Franchise.  Heck, he may just work well with Tommy.

But, but... You got the whole GM thing pending.  Is Tommy going to do this backwards?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think Dundon's out is the GM. Bring in the new GM and give him the final say on the new coach

It appear to me he is not looking for an out but quite the opposite. WRAL

Waddell: "We’re going to run both searches. We're not going to wait for a GM to start the coaching search. If you hire the coach first, the GM comes in, he'll know who the coach is and know some of the staff that’s been put in place, and he's either going to accept that or he's not going to take the job."

• Like 1

I'm coming around to the idea of Roddy as I shared on the other thread.   It was pre-ordained that Roddy some day will be let go simply because he is already in the eye.  So, I'm not worried about that eventuality.  It happens to ALL coaches and GMs.  Heck, it could happen tomorrow if Roddy is let go as assistant.

The reason I'm coming around is because Roddy is not like many other pretty-boy-anointed players (Gretzky, etc.).   He will demand A LOT out of his players.  That's for sure!  As for "systems", well, I'm not sure.  But then again, the right assistants can go a long way toward that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

The problem is that any top GM candidate is going to sign up if they don’t bring in their own coach.

im finally starting to get nervous...

Well, I'm nervous too about doing things backwards.  Like McKenzie said, this is unconventional.

It *can* work.  But, man, this is going to be tricky.   In business, there have been corporations that have done well with a new CEO inserted from outside, while keeping the c-suite in place.  I think this is where Tommy is coming from.

But there are other examples of it going bad where the CEO is forced to work with those in place.  And there are other examples of CEOs who came in, cleaned house, and it still went bad.  

So, hell, I don't know.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

After listening to TD's interview from yesterday, I do feel some kind of reassurance.  I believe there's only four coaching vacancies (three if you exclude BP going to Calgary), and we're the only team I think without a GM.  I think as long as we hire someone reputable, it shouldn't be a problem.  If we get a Daryl Sutter or Dave Tippett, maybe even an Alain Vigneault, I can't foresee a good GM being upset about that.  And to add on further, it's not like most of the potential GM's didn't know there was an opening for the role.  We've been without one for over a month now, and it's not really fair to handcuff the team's progress over their hesitancy.

Since Day 1 of me going to Hurricanes games, I haven't held back my man-crush on Brindy.  I've met him more times than I can count, and I think the world of him.  Having said that, I'm neither pro or against him as a head coach.  I can see both good and bad of him doing it, but I definitely think it'll be a tough sell for an outsider to come in and inherit him as the bench boss.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17
  • Like 1

OK, I'm reacting to what I'm hearing on here and not from primary sources, but...

I think that Dundon and Waddell have proven with failed GM search v.1 that they are not exactly killing it with their atypical approach. Hiring the coach then telling the GM to learn to live with it if he wants the job? If I'm a sought after future GM, I look at this job and have to be ok with:

Small market

Low Attendance

New Owner, completely new to hockey

New Owner who wants to publically be involved with micro and other issues

Last GM still lurking about (may be a non issue soon, but still)

New Owner having put himself outside the traditions of the NHL

New Owner just fired GM and coach.

New Owner previously low balling me or others on salary

New Owner publically stating that he wants decisions made by committee

New Owner actually suggesting maybe he doesn't even NEED a GM

And now, new owner hires coach before me that I have to work with. That coach is a Hurricanes legend. This implies in some ways the coach is firmly ensconced between me and the owner. 

Why add that last part to an already challenging search? 

Dundon may really really want Brind'Amour as his coach, but sometimes it might be better not to get everything you want. 

I remain on the side of let the new GM at least give a dang opinion about the next coach. There are going to be some very accomplished coaches out there looking for jobs. 

Rem, you nailed it. At least what we are seeing publicly does not make this look like an attractive GM job. And Waddell’s statement that if we hire a coach a GM candidate doesn’t like, he can decline the job smacks to me of arrogance, and maybe an overestimation of how attractive our job is . 

3 hours ago, iceman11 said:

If any coach is hired before the next GM iOS announced  the Canes are in trouble

If Dundon has the final say, what does it matter? That's what scares me.

Edited by caniac6
adding content

2 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Also, I do find it encouraging that Waddell already received 7 calls from candidates in such a short amount of time.

Yah, but I find it discouraging that Waddell is still with this organization!

• Like 3

Another point to consider is that there are a few good  coaches looking for work and may be gone before we find a GM. Not saying we should hire the coach first but our selections may be limited by the time the GM is in his chair.  I know some do not like Vigneault, but his record is worth considering. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Vigneault

• Like 1