The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Charlotte Checkers Playoffs

And it was a come back from 0:2 hole. Though PP is gotta be better than 1 of 7.

Looking at the box score, I noticed Jooris played for Penguins. 

But it belongs to "once they were Canes and glad they are not anymore" thread...

Edited by Caniac514

Tight game until the last few minutes.  1-1 after 1, 1-1 after 2.  Chex didn't get a PP until the 3rd period and when they got a couple, they were about as threatening as the Canes tend to be on their power plays.  Nedelkjovic looked solid when he was in the crease, but they need to give him a shock collar to keep him from trying to play the puck anywhere else - he darned near gave the Penguins a couple easy goals, once by trying to play the puck behind the net, losing the battle, and being saved by a teammate (i think it was Miller), and the other by trying to race a Penguin to a loose puck between the dots and barely getting a stick on the puck at the last second.

Fleury looked like the NHLer down to play with the kids, but Kichton was by far the defenseman that grabbed my attention.  And a righty at that.  I like.  Aside from the goal, Didier was kind of meh.  Carrick didn't look half as good as he did last time i saw him play, and Samuelsson was really kinda rough.  McKeown was OK.  Not great, not bad.  Just OK.

Even before the goal, i thought Bishop was the best-looking forward out there, especially on the PK... yowza.  Next-best forward IMO was McKegg. Miller, Brown, Kuokkanen looked pretty good.  Wallmark, Roy, Gauthier, Poturalski, Saarela were all forgettable.  Foegele had a couple moments but didn't really jump out otherwise.  Zykov looked OK but was back to cherry picking - a fair amount of hovering in the neutral zone while his 4 teammates were in the defensive zone playing defense.  Kruger didn't play.  All told the team didn't look great offensively - they didn't take the lead until 6 minutes left in the game, and then they added a couple empty-netters.  Last EN was particularly stupid... Jarry decided to head for the bench right about the time Fleury cleared the puck and it just trickled... trickled... trickled into the net.  With a head up, he should have stuck around to stop that because i swear he was moving faster to get off the ice than the puck was moving to get into the net.  He looked good for 54 minutes and then pretty much gave the game to the Chex in the last 6 minutes.  I expect he's sitting alone on the bus right about now while there are 3 guys somewhere all crammed into 2 seats somewhere because everyone refuses to sit with him.

• Like 2

Oyah - i hate the Penguins.  Doesn't matter which ones.  Jooris was useless out there, but it did remind me that i miss K-stop.  He isn't an NHLer anymore, though.

One last addition - i was impressed with Dea from the Penguins.  Looked up his stats and saw he had played 6 NHL games and had 1 goal.  And i knew... knew... knew... just like every one of you do, who that goal was against.  And sure enough...

• Like 1

That's 10 straight wins for the Chex.  They haven't lost since March 30th.

Not sure exactly what happened (no write up available yet), but Fleury with a 10 min misconduct for Continuing Altercation. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Checkers will be playing the Phantoms in the 2nd round of the playoffs, as the Phantoms sent the baby Bruins home last night, winning Game 4 in OT.

Round 2 schedule!

5*
6*
7*
Friday, May 4
Saturday, May 5
Tuesday, May 8
Wednesday, May 9
Saturday, May 12
Monday, May 14
Tuesday, May 15
7:05 p.m.
7 p.m.
7 p.m.
6 p.m.
Lehigh Valley
Lehigh Valley
Bojangles' Coliseum, Charlotte
Lehigh Valley
Lehigh Valley

31 minutes ago, remkin said:

I wonder if there is space for them to get any ice time. Love to see both of these guys get some AHL time before next year.

Well Krugs is gone. That opens up at least one spot. I really don't know what the criteria is for AHL playoff rosters

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Well Krugs is gone. That opens up at least one spot. I really don't know what the criteria is for AHL playoff rosters

Me neither, but I do know they sent Fleury down on paper quite a while back in order to make him eligible for the playoffs.  On the other hand, a couple of years back Werenski joined his AHL team with just a couple of games remaining in the regular season and paced them to a Calder Cup win.  So the rules seem like they're different for players coming from the NHL and college (or presumably minors).

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I wonder if there is space for them to get any ice time. Love to see both of these guys get some AHL time before next year.

Just there for practice time and see how a AHL team prepares 

6 hours ago, OBXer said:

It might not.  I don't know the reason, but Kruger did not play in the first round.

30 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

It might not.  I don't know the reason, but Kruger did not play in the first round.

If a trade was in the works I wonder if the Canes might have shelved him?

Or, did he bow out due to the sports hernia he was reportedly playing with this year?

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1