The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Charlotte Checkers Playoffs

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Haha, It shows I've been hanging around these boards Tooooo Long, Lake. Just wondering?

Well, LV had the second best record in the AHL (Chex were 6th), so it's not a surprise that they're a tough opponent.

Hate that it looks like Ned got lit up in this one (19-24 = 79%).  Worn out from the 5OT marathon, perhaps?  My understanding is that he's relatively small for an NHL goalie, but very athletic.  I wonder how that might affect his durability over the course of an entire season?  (question, not a projection)  He played in 38 pro games this year, and still had injury issues.  Don't mean to be pessimistic, but seems like we may not want to put too many eggs in Ned's basket until we see sustained success over much of the course of a full season. 

I also noticed that the line of Zykov, Wallmark, and Miller were on the ice for 4 of LVs 5 goals.  We need Zykov's scoring, but he's one of only two Chex with a regular season double digit negative +-.  All due caveats regarding that stat, and RB cracking the whip likely imparts a lot of responsibility, but that's part of the reason I'm predicting that Foegele makes a big impact before Zykov.

Just 1 game, of course, all of which could mean nothing.  And congrats to the Chex on a very good season.  They lost the series 4-1, but one of those came on a PP within the last 2 minutes of the game, and another on that 5 OT heartbreaker.  The series was a lot closer than the 4-1 result might indicate. 

It will be really interesting to see how Checkers fare trying to crack the big club next year. It could be tough, and they can't all make it.

While it would be nice in some ways for Necas to get some AHL time, I am thinking he pushes hard to make the big club. He hung around a lot longer last year than most thought he would. His speed and pushing back the D has been noted in the World Championships, and also in the World Juniors. But he was doing that in the NHL pre-season last year too. I'm thinking an Aho-like second year NHL to stay thing is very possible, if not likely.

And assuming we get Svechnikov, this is the level of talent that is almost always NHL ready year one.

Depending on who we trade and sign or don't sign, there are not many slots up front, or on D. Ironically, there is a slot in goal, but is Ned really ready? His save % in the AHL does not seem to demand NHL time.

I want us to make another move for a vet forward, either UFA or trade. But even without that, if Necas and Svech make the top 9, and assuming McGinn is our #9 forward, there would be no spots in the top 9 for anyone, and that puts Rask as the 4th line center. And on D, depending on what happens with Faulk could be like-wise. Given that we have Foegele and Zykov and possibly Walmark really ready for action, and Kuok and more below that, we either put them on the 4th line (which is not at all standard, and we already picked up Marinook and currently Rask too), or there is not room for them either. This is part of why I can't see PDG unless he'll sign another two way, but at some point don't we still have to waive him to send him down?

Aho, Teravainen, Skinner, Staal, Williams, Lindholm, Necas, Svech, McGinn, Rask. That's 10 right there. Add Martinook at #11 and there is one more spot.

I could be wrong. Perhaps that log jam starts Necas in Charlotte. And if we pick up a JVR or similar it almost demands we do it even if Necas is ready. But Svech cannot play in Charlotte. He is a given. Sending him back to Junior hockey would be a waste. He has nothing more to learn there. He has already dominated it.

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I also noticed that the line of Zykov, Wallmark, and Miller were on the ice for 4 of LVs 5 goals.  We need Zykov's scoring, but he's one of only two Chex with a regular season double digit negative +-.  All due caveats regarding that stat, and RB cracking the whip likely imparts a lot of responsibility, but that's part of the reason I'm predicting that Foegele makes a big impact before Zykov.

I made the comment after Zykov's first game with the Canes this season that i thought he wasn't backchecking very well.  I only made it to one Chex game this season, but at that game i thought he was in extreme cherry-picking mode.  These observations, combined with said double-digit negative, tell me he isn't very defensively sound.  I like his desire to go to the net, but i've been underwhelmed with his defensive game.  Of course i'm just another guy sitting on the couch typing on his laptop, but in an admittedly small sample size, i'm seeing an area of his game that still needs work.  Doesn't mean he won't get the chance to start the season in the NHL, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Charlotte with the 'shore up your defensive game a bit and we'll see you back up here' pep talk.