The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Derailed75

The official/unofficial WWYD? Thread

Congratulations,

Mr./Mrs.___________,

You have been named new GM of the Carolina Hurricanes. Whats your move? You don't have to name players or coaches specifically you can just mention types of if you want to but feel free.   

Honestly...if it were entirely up to me...here come all my unpopular decisions:
1. I gauge Dave Tippett's interest.  If he's not interested, Rod gets a 2-year "show me" contract as our HC.

2. Cam gets re-upped for 2 more years...paid backup numbers.  Of course that’s AFTER we buyout Mongo and sign a halfway decent UFA goalie to a three year “show me” contract.

3. Faulk, Rask, and Hanifin are sent packing.

4. Waddell gets the Gerard Galant treatment out of PNC Arena.

5. Parking goes back down to $10/15.

6. Ron the Ref gets re-hired, if he wants the job.

7. We gauge JVR's and ROR's interest, and trade/sign them...no way we can afford Tavares, so I'd go down a level or two.

8. Re-sign Brock RIGHT FREAKING NOW...and get more players like him who can hit.

9. Find an actual enforcer...someone not afraid to bash Malkin's face in.

10. Fire myself after the first 9 things are done, so the team can actually find a REAL GM!

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 1

New GM Derailed75's first move is to find a new coach. In my coaching search I am open to old coaches, assistant's getting their first shot or AHL guys moving up. My demands of my coach are as follows.

1. I get the players, you have complete control of the ice. Let me know who you want called up or sent down, although if it requires a guy going on waivers we will have an open discussion before the move is made.

2. I will take your input on where we need to improve but ultimately I make the call. You tell me who you want as assistants coaches, strength coaches, and equipment guys and I will get them.

3. I dont care one way or the other what your coaching scheme is as long as it produces wins, also I hate coaches saying they need "their" type of player a coaches job is to make the guys he has buy into his plan and tailor his plan to their talent a coach who can not adapt to his players never wins for long because the rest of the league will catch up to his system regardless of how good it is.

As for players I have a few targets in mind some are hope for's others are we should be able to get

C

John Taveres Hope

Andreas Athanasiou decent shot

LW

James Van Riemsdyk decent shot

RW

Devante Smith-Pelly decent shot

D

Alexei Emelin decent shot

Calvin De Haan decent shot

G

Kari Lethonen

Johnathan Bernier

Micheal Hutchinson

As for RFA that I would look to make an offer for

G

Petr Mrazek

Robin Lehner

D

Ryan Murray

Brady Skjei

RW

Anthony Mantha

C

Dylan Larkin

As for our current guys

Aho, Staal, Teravianen, Slavin are the core and are not going anywhere

Skinner, PDG, Lindholm, Pecse, McGinn, Williams, Van Reimsdyk, Dalhbeck are guys I would have to be blown away to move

Hanifin, Nordstrom are guys I would actively listen to offers on

and Faulk, Rask, Stempniak, Ryan are guys I am trying to trade or are not bringing back

As for the goalie situation I just dont see being able to bring in 2 new guys so.

I sit down Cam and tell him I plan on trying to upgrade the spot. I will not be looking to bring him back and hope he finds a contender to go to, however I would rather he stay if I can not find a suitable replacement if he is ok with that. If not I would understand him wanting to leave and wish him the best. I dont see being able to ditch Darling and am not ready to buy him out yet so the perfect world would be one or two of the guys above along with Darling and Alex Nedeljkvic fight it out in camp and the losers end up on the Checkers.    

Obviously Im not making all the moves above but since we know the Canes are not the only team looking to upgrade this off season I figured I would lay out my plan with contingencies 

Wooooo! My Twitter resume finally got some eyeballs!!!

Im going with Necas and Aho as my centers while stacking them with solid wingers.

Im seeing Ottawa’s interest to Faulk and Skinner for Stone + a prospect

Ottawa wants O and a replacement for Karlsson.

asking about Holtby’s availability. Im willing to do a 1st round swap with holtby included, about 15 spots.  They need money to re-sign Carlson.  May offer TVR and Kuokkanen instead. 

Going to Montreal about an offer around Lindholm and Gauthier for Patches.

i give away Rask to Arizona for Hjalmarsson 

lastly I offer Stastny a spot on Necas’ right side for 2 years about 7.5 million total. 4 million next, 3.5 million the 2nd. If he says no I seriously consider offering Ward a one year offer to see if he fits (I highly doubt a team will give him a long term deal).

Give Hanifin a bridge deal. Ask Aho and Turbo what they want. Re-sign Wallmark, Zykov, and Nordy.  

Have a heart to heart with Darling and say we are giving you one more shot. You’ll be battling ned for the 2nd slot as a goalie.  If not you’ll start in Charlotte.

Turbo-Aho-Stone

Patches-Staal-Williams

Zykov-Necas-Statsny

McGinn-Wallmark-Foegele

Nordy

Slavin-Pesce

Hanifin-Hjalmarsson

Fleury-McKeown

Dahlbeck 

Holtby

Darling/Ned

4 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

gocanes, are you the coach too? Bold move for a team in the place the Canes are in.

Was so excited to get the job I forgot to get a coach. Yep fired already.  

GM Remkin keeps it uncharacteristically simple:

Hire the best GM money can buy. Do this before anything else.

Tell that guy he has four major jobs:

1. Find the best possible goalie*.

2. Find the best possible coach.

3. Find the best possible scoring forward, ideally a 1C.

4. Trade Faulk.

After that, it's all fine-tuning.

*yes, the best goalie is more important than the best coach. We've had multiple coaches fail with our bad goaltending. We'll just add one more coach to the pile of failed ex-coaches that succeed elsewhere if goaltending is not fixed. Heck, I'd let the goalie BE the coach if an elite one would come here.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Tell that guy he has four major jobs:

4. Trade Faulk.

*yes, the best goalie is more important than the best coach. We've had multiple coaches fail with our bad goaltending. We'll just add one more coach to the pile of failed ex-coaches that succeed elsewhere if goaltending is not fixed. Heck, I'd let the goalie BE the coach if an elite one would come here.

Um, Rem. Sorry you are the GM not Dundon. 

2 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Um, Rem. Sorry you are the GM not Dundon. 

As GM I would:

4. Trade Faulk.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Sounds like a plan to me, Rem. Negotiate yourself a GM contract with a nice guarantee, then get yourself fired so you actually have time to enjoy that guaranteed money.

:lol:

• Like 1

if i could pull it off   , trade faulk   for raanta .   trade skinner for jonathan drouin .    bring up bean   ,  go after jvr  , sign   carlson  , and tavares ,  draft svechnikov ,  sign ward for another year  , buy out darling  bring up  necas   and zykov   problem solved ! we are a dynasty team !!!   then go after Charlotte checkers coach for the canes .   

Edited by Canesfanforever

7 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

if i could pull it off   , trade faulk   for raanta .   trade skinner for jonathan drouin .    bring up bean   ,  go after jvr  , sign   carlson  , and tavares ,  draft svechnikov ,  sign ward for another year  , buy out darling  bring up  necas   and zykov   problem solved ! we are a dynasty team !!!   then go after Charlotte checkers coach for the canes .   

I doubt any of those trades happen. Raanta just signed an extension in Arizona.  Montreal needs centers not more left wingers.  Plus that entire lineup of moves adds about 35 million to the cap without re-signing any RFAs.  

JVR- 6 mil

JT- 12 mil

Carlson- 7 mil

buy out Darling-  saves 2.7 mil

Ward- 2-3 mil

Raanta- 4.25 mil

Svech- have about a 3 million cap hit

I think Velluci has earned a shot as coach of Canes. Give Brindy the Checkers job. Bring in another goalie to fight for number 1. Do not trade 2nd pick! Bring in some talented, gritty players.   Beyond that I don’t know-I am not GM material. ??

• Like 2

Getting the #2 pick just makes this job better. I really think an up and coming GM could come in here and make a name for himself, then move on if Dundon is too oppressive or stay if he isn't.

The Canes are basically the bottom of the league in payroll (#30). I have a contract guy, and a numbers guy working with me, so if I get to the cap or bust the future cap, they can reign me in, because I don't have the inclination to figure out everyone who needs to be paid 4 years from now. Plus the cap is going up, and will in the future too. So with that in mind:

Job 1 is to find a goalie. This is especially true now that we are adding Necas and Svech up front, which we are since I'm GM. All I'll say, is that we can throw just about any prospect, and a pick, and players to be traded below at whatever team has a guy in waiting. A crazy thought too might be to pick up a huge contract on an aging guy to try to fill the gap. Goalie is so vexing, as long as we are hiring lots of assistant GM's hire me one who's main expertise is finding goalies. I'd trade a lot for a proven guy who is in a goalie battle or had an off year. Schneider, Aaron Dell, Antii Raanta, even Phillip Grubauer if Holtby is back on top. I don't know, but I have to fix this or it's all for naught. The new team can't skate back on the ice in training camp to see Ward and Darling taking pucks.

Job 2: Draft Svechnikov. (and the rest of the draft). I'd be open to trading 2nd and lower round picks if it got us the goalie.

Job 3: See if we can land Tavares or JVR. Yes, UFA's are risky. They often don't work out. But Tavares is outside the mold, he is a top 20 player not slowing down. These guys almost never make it to UFA and so can't really be lumped into the group of past UFA fails. JVR is more risky, but he is an elite finisher, and ready to do so from the drop of the puck. Svech will be 18, and Necas a rookie. We need some veteran help besides J Willy, especially next year, and as GM I am not taking chances that we don't pull out stops to get in NEXT year. Momentum is slipping away around this team. Getting #2 is the first step forward, a good start and making the playoffs NEXT season is key.

Job 4: Trade Faulk. I'm sorry. I know that he's the whipping boy, but this is the guy that IMO needs to go, and since I'm GM, he goes. We will miss his Howitzer from the point. We will miss his puck moving. But moving him solves two problems: 1. Lots of goals in our net. 2. The two headed Co Captain debacle. McKeown will not move the puck as well or score many goals, but he will easily not give up just as many. If Faulk can bring back a big, physical winger who can score, our forward core could be downright scary. If he could bring back a solid goalie: three problems solved.

Job 5: Sign Lindholm to a team friendly deal with NO NTC. Same with TVR. Same with Hanifin, though that might be tricky. Hanifin might do best on a bridge deal.

This is my 1st GM job, and I'm going to break one mold. I'm not re-signing Nordstrom, Kruger is gone, and while it's a tough one, I let PDG walk too. I want a 4th line of Checkers. Foegele, Wallmark, and Zykov. If those guys start scoring, I start rolling 4 lines with intention for the guys playing right and producing getting the ice time. If that Chekers line is peforming, whatever line is not loses the ice time to them. Martinook can be the healty extra, but get time when guys are scratched, or earn his way in.

Of course I have to get a coach too, but I've gone long here, so I'll let the committee work that one out.

#1: Name Vellucci HC.

#2: Offer Roddy the bench in CLT. If he demurs, thank him for his service (see #4 for reasons why), wish him luck, and send him on his way.

#3: Ned battles for the crease with Darling and a proven #1, acquired by trade. The loser goes to CLT and, if picked up off waivers (in the case of one of the two NHLers), that works too. If it's Darling and he is not picked up, we offer him two options: to re-negotiate his deal to an appropriate number for an AHL keeper with NHL potential, or take a buyout--his choice. His decision will tell us real quick if he's willing to put in the work to get all the way back. He - and only he - squandered that opportunity last year.

#4: Invite Cam to join the big club as an ambassador, not a coach. That practice must stop. The ONLY criteria for hiring the people who guide our players' development should be their success in having done so already. If former Canes players want to get into coaching, fantastic: They get to start with the Everblades and work their way up, and if they don't think that beats starting in Juniors, they're welcome to test the market elsewhere.

#5: I sign a greybeard D - preferably Dennis Seidenberg - to a one-year deal to play with McKeown and lead the PK, and to help season and lead the rest of our young D... 

#6: ...which no longer includes Faulk, nor Hanifin.

#7: Those two top my list of NHLers available for the right return, which is a proven #1 keeper. Other assets we should make available to bring that return: Rask, PDG, and/or some combination of picks/prospects.

#8: In the draft, select and sign Svechnikov, and be sure to get a young keeper to re-stock the opening created by Ned's elevation.

#9: On the FA market, make a play for (in this order): JVR and Stastny. If we don't get one of them, that's fine; given Zykov and Svech and our boatload of other great forward prospects, we really don't need them, and we've got three vets to lead the forward ranks, in Staal, Willy, and Skinner, who get the C, A, and A respectively. 

#10: Under no circumstances overpay for anybody in FA (read: Tavares). Let other teams waste their summers fighting over him. 

• Like 1

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperadoes, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, *edit* kickers, *edit* kickers, and Methodists...and a goalie

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperadoes, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, *edit* kickers, *edit* kickers, and Methodists...and a goalie

My wife and I can't stop laughing at this SD. Well done. Classic.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, coastal_caniac said:

First thing I would do is fire the above two posters as GM and hire me.

I'd **** everybody off but we would win.

6 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

My first cheap hire is SD as President of Things That Matter, Scouting, and Marketing

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

My first cheap hire is SD as President of Things That Matter, Scouting, and Marketing

I probably don't know squat about scouting, but I am cheap and get Things That Matter and Marketing.

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

Nashville says, Pekka Rinne for the 2nd pick in the draft.   WWYD?

I stick with the pick. Rinne's 35, Ned is feelin' it, Darling has something to prove, and if we offer a combo of Faulk, Hanifin, Rask and picks/prospects there's bound to be younger #1 acquirable. 

• Like 1

no way I even think about a #2 for Renne.  As TS said he is 35.  If they want him for a couple of futures, sure I have a serious talk.  The number 2 with serious comparisons to top 10 guys in the league isnt being traded for a goalie that may play for another 3 years.  

The biggest stretch I make for a 35 YO goalie tender is Kuokkanen and a 2nd.  Even then Im not sure I like that. Next year he could hit the wall and not be much of anything.  He could be top of league for 5 more years.  It is a risk.  A risk not worth the 2OA.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1