The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dinz

Francis

40 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Coaches and GMs very rarely go out on their own terms. Even Tom Landry got fired. If Ronnie didn't have such a long history with this team, this wouldn't seem so stinky. Eventually, Brindy will get fired. That's the big risk of hiring a fan favorite for a coaching or management job. 

Agree.   As someone else mentioned earlier, we knew it would stink when this day came.

And in business, an unbelievable number of founder CEOs are fired by the board after a surprisingly short amount of time.  Even Steve Jobs was fired from Apple. 

Ron Francis was a class act, a hockey hall of famer, and an icon of this organization. If he and Dundon were not seeing eye to eye, Dundon had every right to let him go. But this was handled in a ham handed way from the beginning by our new owner. Someone with class, even Karmanos, would have worked out a severance package and allowed Francis to resign with dignity. Does anyone see a pattern. We don’t need free agents. They are all overvalued and wouldn’t be available if their old team wanted them. We don’t need a real GM. We need a guy who will have the title but run every decision by the owner, while collaborating with a cadre of assistant GMs and assorted other management employees. Well so far we have put the GM search on hold twice. I’m sure free agents will be lining up to come here. Obviously, Ronnie needed to go, maybe just on performance alone, or just because the owner has the right to hire or keep the employees he chooses to keep. But there is a way to let someone go with class (especially a legend) and this wasn’t it.

a lot of people are upset about this all .  i can understand why .  francis  who  was  in a way the teams father  has been made as an example of  in a fashion that is not so nice .  but ask yourself as a fan .    were you wanting  francis to be let go  as soon as the team got a new owner  or would you have preferred that he was  let go like he was  after the season was over ?    when you have fan attendance  low as it was  anyone  surprised  as to why he got fired  ?  lets take a look at some of the things that has happened that  hurt the canes over the years  shall we ?  eric staal traded away for peanuts ,  singing alexander semin   ,   singing  scott darling ,  deciding on not picking who the captain should be ultimately  causing a rift in the team .  missing the playoffs for 9 years while under  management  of rutherford / francis 

look at nashville , look at tampa bay , look at the las vegas knights ,  they seem to be doing something different than the hurricanes ,  so why couldnt carolina  be successful like them ?   blaming karmanos  would be easy  but if francis challenged  peter for better players and not let go of some players , things might have panned out better .  instead of francis risking his job   in the past he sat idle  and did nothing  but play nickle and dime games through the draft alone . name me another team that did what francis did and was successful  cause i bet you cant !!!    one  final note on francis  though .    the man will not be forgotten  for what he did that was good for the canes  on and off the ice ,   and if Tom Dundon wants to get people interested in management he needs to do some serious damage control TODAY  or else he wont be getting anybody that  has any self respect  that will give tom  the time or day !  DUN DON DON !

Edited by Canesfanforever

11 hours ago, g105 said:

So where does all this leave us?

A new owner who knows nothing about hockey

No Coach

No GM

Draft and FA coming soon.

I think this is an organization in a state of disarray.  Hope something comes together soon.

Ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

if Tom Dundon wants to get people interested in management he needs to do some serious damage control TODAY  or else he wont be getting anybody that  has any self respect  that will give tom  the time or day !  DUN DON DON !

With only 31 NHL GM jobs in the world, and 31 NHL HC jobs in the world, I think a few people will be able to handle their self respect issues if they want a job.

10 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Ron Francis was a class act, a hockey hall of famer, and an icon of this organization. If he and Dundon were not seeing eye to eye, Dundon had every right to let him go. But this was handled in a ham handed way from the beginning by our new owner. Someone with class, even Karmanos, would have worked out a severance package and allowed Francis to resign with dignity. Does anyone see a pattern. We don’t need free agents. They are all overvalued and wouldn’t be available if their old team wanted them. We don’t need a real GM. We need a guy who will have the title but run every decision by the owner, while collaborating with a cadre of assistant GMs and assorted other management employees. Well so far we have put the GM search on hold twice. I’m sure free agents will be lining up to come here. Obviously, Ronnie needed to go, maybe just on performance alone, or just because the owner has the right to hire or keep the employees he chooses to keep. But there is a way to let someone go with class (especially a legend) and this wasn’t it.

Your opinion is noted.  When we forget that professional sports are a business we get our feelings hurt.  Kinda like when you think the company you work for really does care about you.  They DONT.  They care about making money.  And thats just MY opinion.  LOL

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet

What he said X  Deux.  Look what NOT breaking eggs has gotten us.  .... going hungry at breakfast.

54 minutes ago, cc said:

Your opinion is noted.  When we forget that professional sports are a business we get our feelings hurt.  Kinda like when you think the company you work for really does care about you.  They DONT.  They care about making money.  And thats just MY opinion.  LOL

That is darn true.  And Dundon wants to win.  He isn't interested in creating statues of our "father figure."  

Start winning, and this will be ancient history.

14 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Maybe the Canes needed to cut permanent ties for a new Pres of Hockey Ops?  IMO, none of this stinks, its just business when somebody forks out to buy a team.  Nobody held Ronnie's arm behind his back and forced him to take a job where he would be fired some day.   Many of us mentioned the same at the time he was hired.  

Dundon says hi NHL.

• Image result for rodney dangerfield

Perfectly put, and I'll just add that if RF was as top-down as has been reported, good riddance. That is the worst kind of cancer to have in any org, but especially one in which playing as a team is the whole point.

That Francis was fired is not an issue in my mind. How he was fired is.

Sent to time out, Sent home from school, Expelled from school.

A Hall of Fame player, A link to our history. A guy who filled our cupboards with players almost everyone on this board are touting as our saviors, but unable to change his approach. I have no argument with Dundon wanting to put his Dream Administrative Team in place but how you do something is as important as what you do.

How it played out stinks

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That Francis was fired is not an issue in my mind. How he was fired is.

Sent to time out, Sent home from school, Expelled from school.

A Hall of Fame player, A link to our history. A guy who filled our cupboards with players almost everyone on this board are touting as our saviors, but unable to change his approach. I have no argument with Dundon wanting to put his Dream Administrative Team in place but how you do something is as important as what you do.

How it played out stinks

Yeah, but we don't know what was going on behind the scenes. The "promotion" was a firing in and of itself.  Maybe RF wasn't taking that well and was stinking up the joint.  I'm sure it had to be uncomfortable for everyone.  Sometimes you have to rip the band aid off.

Edited by super_dave_1

29 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Yeah, but we don't know what was going on behind the scenes. The "promotion" was a firing in and of itself.  Maybe RF wasn't taking that well and was stinking up the joint.  I'm sure it had to be uncomfortable for everyone.  Sometimes you have to rip the band aid off.

I agree with all of this. My discomfort is how it was done. In the end we will move on. I hope when we do there is some room for embracing the history of the Canes. It is difficult to remember after 9 failed years the accomplishments of this franchise in Carolina. There are many and that includes the Francis.years.

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Yep.  It appears that the promotion was an attempt to end it with a bit of dignity.  But for whatever reason, some bad stuff lingered and it had to end.

I'm hoping real hard that RF wasn't the source of the bad stuff.    It more likely was just toxic office.   Also, that $400k number better not have come from the staff...

Something went wrong.

Edited by wxray1

15 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

It appears that the promotion was an attempt to end it with a bit of dignity

I was just listening to TSN discussion. They seemed to think the promotion and then work from home was not an attempt to end it with dignity but to embarrass Francis in an attempt to force him to resign. Instead Francis held firm. The indication is that he forced TD hand and was fired

True or not it worked.

That's a good theory from the Canadian boys, and maybe it's true.  What is not factual, that Francis was forced to work from home.  Francis himself asked to work from home.  I'll try to dig up the tweet, it was from a team source. 

Here it is, from an N&O article - " Waddell confirmed a Friedman report that Francis has been working primarily at his home rather than PNC Arena, saying Francis made that request."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article210019534.html

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yeah. I remember that from the N&O. Oh well done is done no matter how it played out.

And not to drag this on but how can the Canadian boys not understand his contract was terminated yesterday to bring Dudley in today.  Too dumb to follow the logical bread crumbs I guess.

Yeah it just seems that having him still on the letterhead could not be helping with the get a new GM thing.