The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Should we put Gordie Howes number in the rafters ?

When i think of legendary players that has played in the nhl ,  to this day it still irks me that we dont see Howes number in the rafters  , even though  he was a whaler  , it's still  the same organization  .  and i think  if there was anything  more classy , it is for next season  have Howes number retired even for the canes  and have it shown in the rafters . it's not so much as a play for attention but  as a sign  of respect for the man . after all it was retired in hartford , why not here also ?

• Like 1

I was actually thinking about this yesterday.  Dundon made the big move of bringing Whaler sweaters to The Eye - the next step would be putting #9 in the rafters.  I'm not calling for it either way mind you - it was just going through my mind.

I say no, he has nothing to do with the Carolina Hurricanes.  Just like the Whalers have nothing to do with our franchise.  Let the whale be the whale - that's who they are.

Yes, Howe briefly was a Whaler.  What hockey fan associates Howe with the Whalers?  He was a Red Wing for 25 years.  He played one season in a Whalers sweater as a 50 year old man.  He is a player I grew up watching and admiring, however...

NO

He has nothing to do with the Canes, and barely anything to do with the Whalers.

• Like 1

Rafters no.  But I did think it would have been great if the Canes wore a No. 9 Howe patch the season before last in remembrance of his passing in the summer of ‘16 which would honor his Whaler tie (however brief) and contributions to this great game.  Opportunity missed.  Frankly, the league could have done better with remembrances for Mr. Hockey that season too...

• Like 3

Well here's my yearly rant opportunity, the rafters are cluttered enough with NC State less then noteworthy accolades on top of the ridiculous amount of retired jerseys without the Canes going and looking for ways to add banners.

Plain and simple, WHY? Because he had a FLEETING association with a team that we succeeded? Doing something like that makes it appear that we are attempting to glorify our team with past legends, when they are not us. IMHO, if you hang that jersey from the rafters, Jorge Alves jersey should be hung there also.

Um, NO. Gordie was a Whaler for three years and after he officially called it quits the Whalers retired his number more in honor of his life time achievements than what he accomplished for the club. I can see no reason why that should carry over to the Canes since they had absolutely nothing to do with any of it.  

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I say no, he has nothing to do with the Carolina Hurricanes.  Just like the Whalers have nothing to do with our franchise.  Let the whale be the whale - that's who they are.

Hello no why even go there

1 hour ago, Whaler1 said:

Um, NO. Gordie was a Whaler for three years and after he officially called it quits the Whalers retired his number more in honor of his life time achievements than what he accomplished for the club. I can see no reason why that should carry over to the Canes since they had absolutely nothing to do with any of it.  

Based on his username and avatar, I defer to  Whaler as the ultimate expert on this.

Next!  :D

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

Frankly, the league could have done better with remembrances for Mr. Hockey that season too... 

I agree with this 1000%!

As for having #9 in the rafters, I dunno. We don't have #99 in the rafters, yet that number's been retired league-wide (at the very least, teams aren't allowed to issue #99 anymore), right? Was Gretzky that much better than G. Howe, really? (ducks and covers)