Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Free Agency

Recommended Posts

So  the market is not so far in the distant future  and out of a list of players  that is coming out of free agency   here is a list of guys that could help turn around things going forward for the canes  ,   given what the team needs vs team wants   is to be thought of first and foremost !  

 

they are centers  , wingers , defense ,  goalies ,   and lastly leadership ....  

 

so who is up for grabs ? 

here is a small list  of guys who could go to a team and make an impact  for their club .   most of these guys want to win a cup if possible !!! 

 

Tavares 

Nash

Green 

Carlson 

Perron 

Halak 

Bernier 

 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

So  the market is not so far in the distant future  and out of a list of players  that is coming out of free agency   here is a list of guys that could help turn around things going forward for the canes  ,   given what the team needs vs team wants   is to be thought of first and foremost !  

 

they are centers  , wingers , defense ,  goalies ,   and lastly leadership ....  

 

so who is up for grabs ? 

here is a small list  of guys who could go to a team and make an impact  for their club .   most of these guys want to win a cup if possible !!! 

 

Tavares 

Nash

Baley 

Green 

Carlson 

Perron 

Halak 

Bernier 

 

 

Bailey is no longer available. He re-signed with NYI during the season.

 

Tavares and Carlson are easily the two biggest names.  Those 2 and JVR have a good chance at signing terrible contracts.  WHAT?!?!? TAVARES?!?  If any team pays more than 11 million AAV for JT they will severly hurt their cap.  I suspect JT will get around 11.5 to 12 million.  12-15% of your cap on one player is rough. We'll see the full affect on that with Edmonton this coming season.  We have seen the same effect with Chicago for a couple of seasons.  They have ridden Toews hard and left him out wet.  He is only 30 but has played like he is mid 30s since last season.  They use him a lot with little depth and it is starting to wear Toews down.  Toews almost has a negative value at this point.  Carolina may be able to absorb a player that eats that much of the cap because of the outstanding depth we have at forward and defense that will play on ELCs and/or cheaper bridge deals over the next 5 years. 

Teams like NYI, TOR, MON, and EDM will be bidding against themselves to get Carlson.  They either want to win now or need to sign a big name and it will drive his cost up there.  He'll get something crazy like 8 for 56 million or 7 for 50 million.  The last 3 years of his contract will be a drag.    Subtracting Faulk and adding Carlson would make our D pretty substantial for the next 4 years but I cant see paying that much. 

JVR would be a nice goal scoring add for about 3 years, maybe 4.  He wants a 6 x 6 deal.  His production will take a dive during the deal. In the end the last 2 years will be a drag on the cap, if not the last 3 years.  Is the risk worth the reward?  Yes, maybe no.  

Green- will be the recipient of a nice deal to whichever of the 4 teams mentioned with Carlson doesnt win the Carlson race.  I wouldnt mind Green as the greybeard on defense for us.  I dont know that he will be willing to take a 2, at most 3 year deal with a few big teams jumping in the bidding war with us.  Again move Faulk and add Green.

The goalie situation is really bleak.  We might be stuck with either signing a strong backup, like Allen, or overpaying for a guy like Holtby.  Raanta would've been the number one goalie target coming into the class.  He goes ahead and cost himself a few million by staying with the worst franchise in the league.  Still dont understand that.  

Statsny is my pick for a FA target.  A veteran that could play along side Necas to give us another FO presence and another veteran, like Williams, on O to show what it takes to win night in and night out.  Lindholm is the eternal candidate for the same slot but he needs a change in scenery.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

 

 

Statsny is my pick for target.  A veteran that could play along side Necas to give us another FO presence and another veteran, like Williams, on O to show what it takes to win night in and night out.  Lindholm is the eternal candidate for the same slot but he needs a change in scenery.  

A few months ago I was all in for us to target Statsny. Now I'm not so sure. At 32 I'm wondering what he will bring in he UFA market. He might be an over pay type of hit. With Aho going to center, where do you put Statsny?  Lindholm is only 23 and puts up equal  numbers.

 

 

2015–16 St. Louis Blues NHL 64 10 39 49 26 20 3 10 13 16
2016–17 St. Louis Blues NHL 66 18 22 40 36 7 2 1 3 2
2017–18 St. Louis Blues NHL 63 12 28 40

 

 

Season Team GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FO%
Career - 374 64 124 188 -70 76 18 58 1 6 13 2 720 8.9 52.7
2013-2014 CAR 58 9 12 21 -14 4 4 7 0 0 2 0 70 12.9 46.29
2014-2015 CAR 81 17 22 39 -23 14 4 15 0 0 4 1 170 10 52.27
2015-2016 CAR 82 11 28 39 -23 24 2 16 0 0 3 0 176 6.3 49.08
2016-2017 CAR 72 11 34 45 -2 16 2 11 1 5 0 0 151 7.3 55.59
2017-2018 CAR 81 16 28 44 -8 18 6 9 0 1 4 1 153 10.5 54.48
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On top UFA is RFA.

 

Teams will keep a majority of the top RFAs.  

Stone from Ottawa- I would love to get him.  Him and Svech on the right side for years would be great.  It also take our org weakness and turn it into a strength.  I dont know that we would be able to get him.

JT Miller- Unless Yzerman is able to get him to sign well below his worth (like very other player it seems), JT Miller should be available.  TBL will have 11 million in cap space and little other talent to re-sign BUT they have Kucherov and Vasilevskiy needing extensions next season and the following, respectively.  They need to save money. We have talented dudes on ELCs that they will want.  An option.  Same age as Lindholm but a more polished scorer.  I believe he has averaged 10 more points per season over the last seasons than Lindholm

Trouba- The Jets have about 21 million in cap but have a buch of talent to decide on. They need to re-sign their starting goalie this year, have to decide what to do with 5 of the 6 starting defensive positions, and Connor and Laine will need new extensions next year.  21 seems like a lot but when you have to re-sign a 57 point guy and 40+ goal scorer, your money is tied up quickly.  

Larkin- Is he available? 60 point scorer. Red wings are in cap constraint with a bunch of bad contacts.  They should have 21 million in cap space but have a few actually talented forwards to re-sign, Larkin included. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

A few months ago I was all in for us to target Statsny. Now I'm not so sure. At 32 I'm wondering what he will bring in he UFA market. He might be an over pay type of hit. With Aho going to center, where do you put Statsny?  Lindholm is only 23 and puts up equal  numbers.

 

 

2015–16 St. Louis Blues NHL 64 10 39 49 26 20 3 10 13 16
2016–17 St. Louis Blues NHL 66 18 22 40 36 7 2 1 3 2
2017–18 St. Louis Blues NHL 63 12 28 40
 

Fair point.  I think if he is willing to sign a two year deal then I am in.  Anything more than 2 years, and I pass.  He doesnt add any more scoring that we have but, he does add another veteran element that this team needs, desperately.  You could see it in Williams during his exit interview.  The guys didnt have the right mentality and it looked like he was exhausted from being the one to always provide it.  Statsny could bring more of that.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Fair point.  I think if he is willing to sign a two year deal then I am in.  Anything more than 2 years, and I pass.  He doesnt add any more scoring that we have but, he does add another veteran element that this team needs, desperately.  You could see it in Williams during his exit interview.  The guys didnt have the right mentality and it looked like he was exhausted from being the one to always provide it.  Statsny could bring more of that.  

I agree and it was one reason I wanted him. He has been injury prone as he has played 64,66,63 games the last three years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

people who i just dont see  leaving their clubs are guys like  joe thornton  or the sedins 

The Sedins retired.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd still sign Tavares if he'd come here. He instantly changes everything. The cap is going up. One can point out Chicago, but Pittsburgh has Crosby, Malkin and Kessel, we can afford one guy. Yes, there is risk to the back end of a massive deal for him, but teams win cups with superstars and 1C's and they pay them. Tavares is different. He's a game breaker. He makes everyone around him better. We add him and bring in Svech and Necas? We would be scary good for at least 4-5 years.

 

JVR is the guy I want but feel the risk on. 

 

Outside of those two, seems we're around the edges and we have those guys already in the system. In fact going with Foegle and Zykov can help us afford Tavares or JVR, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have no issue making Tavares one of the top 10 highest paid players in the league and frankly I think I'd have no problem if Dundon made him the highest paid player. Is he worth it based on production? Not entirely he's not McJesus but is he worth it to Carolina to save our ship? Yes....hell yes....

Edited by legend-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I would have no issue making Tavares one of the top 10 highest paid players in the league and frankly I think I'd have no problem if Dundon made him the highest paid player. Is he worth it based on production? Not entirely he's not McJesus but is he worth it to Carolina to save our ship? Yes....hell yes....

So Tavares would be our #1C, Jordan #2C, Aho #3C and Linholm #4C or would you keep Aho on the wing and move Lindholm back to #3C?

Edited by hopper915

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

So Tavares would be our #1C, Jordan #2C, Aho #3C and Linholm #4C or would you keep Aho on the wing and move Lindholm back to #3C?

If Tavares comes, I highly doubt we keep Lindholm and Rask (I know you didnt mention him).  

With 12 million, 6 million, and soon to be 7+ million or ELC with bonus attached at center , we cant afford Lindholm. Will need a low contract like Wallmark there at 4C.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

 

 

man that must be hard for the canucks !  how are they going to replace them ?

 

 

They losing Swedes so they probably want Swedes.  Rask is a Swede.  Let's do something here...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I put this together earlier but something to consider during FA consideration:

Cap hits and future cap hits of Aho and Turbo.

 

Assuming Hanifin gets a 2 year bridge deal of 7 million (3.5 AAV) and TVR gets a couple year deal of 1.5 million AAV

We take Svech's and Necas' cap hits with performance bonuses in mind (about 3.5 and 3 million, respectively)

Zykov is re-signed for about 2 million for 2 years (1 mil AAV) and Foegele making the roster.

Im giving Lindholm a value of 4 million

 

We have about 66.681 million tied up in cap for next year or about 13 million left in cap space.  Of course know that we will not actually pay that next year because of Svech's and Necas' bonuses are based on performance.  It is good to consider it as already spent money so that it doesnt hurt us next year.  

We still need a goalie. We have 11.083 million tied up in Rask, Lindholm, and Kruger and 2.333 million in HWSNBN.  

We could afford a Tavares if we were able to move Lindholm, Rask, and Kruger with little additional charge to the cap.  Add in lower contracts like Nordstrom and Wallmark for 2-2.25 million total to fill the ranks and our cap hit only goes up ~3 million to 70 million.  That isnt bad.  

 

 

The following off-season we will have an anticipated +9.15 million cap hit for Turbo and Aho with future values of 6 mil and 7 mil AAV,  respectively.  I am not sure what value to put on McGinn but his cap hit will go up.  We potentially have 10.225 million come off with Williams and Skins.  

 

As I said, we can absorb a Tavares much easier than most teams as we could offset his cost right now with the subtraction of our bottom 3 centers. We have the ability to keep the core together for many years while back filling with skilled ELCs.  Paying any more than 12 million for JT and the cap gets a little dicey. Keeping JT at 12 and we may be able to afford to keep Skins long term.  Although, I feel like a Saarela or Kuok could come in on a ELC and keep the team moving at a much lower cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If Tavares comes, I highly doubt we keep Lindholm and Rask (I know you didnt mention him).  

With 12 million, 6 million, and soon to be 7+ million or ELC with bonus attached at center , we cant afford Lindholm. Will need a low contract like Wallmark there at 4C.  

 I think we try to move Rask regardless, but post surgery and a bad year, will be tough. But eventually move Rask. Lindholm to me depends on his deal. One of the potentially good things about Lindholm having a down year this year, is that we hopefully can get him on a relatively good deal. This could be a huge hidden value because he could easily outperform a team-friendly contract. I like Lindy at center, but he and Aho and Necas can all vie for center and the rest play wing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

man that must be hard for the canucks !  how are they going to replace them ?

With guys 15 years younger and 10 mph faster! They're 37.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, remkin said:

But eventually move Rask.

You realize of course this will be the year he comes out on fire and never looks back. Typical Canes "luck." Although if it actually happens, too many centers is a far better problem to have than too few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, remkin said:

He instantly changes everything.

Without goaltending, nobody does--end of story.

 

With goaltending, this year's team makes the dance.

 

That fact makes our off-season priority much easier to set: fixing the crease. Tavares would not only be a huge fiscal drain on his own, but a limiting factor in trying to acquire a #1 keeper, especially if we end up buying out Darling. Meanwhile, Aho is maybe a year, perhaps two, away from being much, much better than John Tavares--and seven years away from being as old.

 

I am fine with continuing to let our current stable of centers fight it out, especially now that we're picking second. Even if we move that pick, paying John Tavares what he is going to demand for as long as he's going to want it is a fool's errand in my book. If we learned nothing else from the Eric Staal handcuffs contract, I hope we at least learned that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You realize of course this will be the year he comes out on fire and never looks back. Typical Canes "luck." Although if it actually happens, too many centers is a far better problem to have than too few.

I hope you're right! But I do seem to remember reading something remarkably similar to this last year on Rask...:letssee:...:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Without goaltending, nobody does--end of story.

 

With goaltending, this year's team makes the dance.

 

 

True of course. At this point though it's so patently obvious I get tired of including it in every post.

 

The thing is that the line up we could throw out there with Tavares, especially in a couple of years could win 6-5 most nights. But even marginal, say, not league-worst goaltending could get it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

If Tavares comes, I highly doubt we keep Lindholm and Rask (I know you didnt mention him).  

With 12 million, 6 million, and soon to be 7+ million or ELC with bonus attached at center , we cant afford Lindholm. Will need a low contract like Wallmark there at 4C.  

I really think  LIndy can get even better in coming years, good set up man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dinz said:

I really think  LIndy can get even better in coming years, good set up man.

I agree with your assessment.  Knowing that Tavares, Aho, and Turbo are going to increase the cap hit by 21.25 million, we have to shave as much salary as possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would like for the canes to make a bid for tavares but if he wants to stay with the islanders  then who's next ? nash could come to us but that is entirely up to him  , from what i have heard is that he wants to go to new york  .    dont even get me started on  evander kane ,   im thinking  that we will most likely re-sign ward  cause i cant for the life of me see a team wanting to spend more than what he is worth  and given that he likes playing for the canes  he might want to play out the rest of his career here in carolina .     we do have 32 mill   to spend i think  i could be off .   but  this year is the time we either get someone and show  that we are willing to break ways from that karmanos era or pretend that we are  still in it ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

i would like for the canes to make a bid for tavares but if he wants to stay with the islanders  then who's next ? nash could come to us but that is entirely up to him  , from what i have heard is that he wants to go to new york  .    dont even get me started on  evander kane ,   im thinking  that we will most likely re-sign ward  cause i cant for the life of me see a team wanting to spend more than what he is worth  and given that he likes playing for the canes  he might want to play out the rest of his career here in carolina .     we do have 32 mill   to spend i think  i could be off .   but  this year is the time we either get someone and show  that we are willing to break ways from that karmanos era or pretend that we are  still in it ! 

see about 9 posts up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...