The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Free Agency

3 hours ago, remkin said:

I hope you're right! But I do seem to remember reading something remarkably similar to this last year on Rask...:letssee:...:D

I'm fine with you pointing it out. If he can get back to this, neither of us will be complaining.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I agree with your assessment.  Knowing that Tavares, Aho, and Turbo are going to increase the cap hit by 21.25 million, we have to shave as much salary as possible.  

It all depends on whether we waive Darling and someone takes him, we buy him out, and what Lindy is willing to acknowledge in this year's contract negotiations. If he's willing to take $2-3 million for three years, I'm willing to see if he can parlay his net-front presence into becoming the old-school scoring center that his size and toughness would allow him to be.

20 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm fine with you pointing it out. If he can get back to this, neither of us will be complaining.

I'm just messin' with you Top. Lord knows I've been wrong about more than one guy. I predicted Lindholm would have a 65 point year. Not so much. Maybe next year.

But Rask did have an amazing roughly three month run to start two seasons ago. At or near a point per game for a while. But it's been over a year and a half of "not so much" from him since. His salary and surgery probably makes him tough to trade, so he probably gets another shot. I hope he gets back to form, but I'm more skeptical about it.

Dundon pretty much said rebuilding the team through free agency was not something he intended to do. You don’t pass on a Tavares at a reasonable price, but I don’t see any chance he comes to Carolina absent a massive overpay. I foresee changes coming through trades. And somehow, somewhere we have to find a goaltender. I’d love to think Darling can figure out what went wrong, but I don’t want to bet the season next year on him doing it.

not much talk about goalies up in here for obvious reasons  due to it being slim pickings  of nothing noteworthy  , but i did mention 2  that might fit our bill  , bernier  and halak , what do you guy think ?

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

not much talk about goalies up in here for obvious reasons  due to it being slim pickings  of nothing noteworthy  , but i did mention 2  that might fit our bill  , bernier  and halak , what do you guy think ?

I was going to say Bernier may be out of job in Colorado now. Second thought would be trying to pry Holtby or Grubauer from Caps. 

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It all depends on whether we waive Darling and someone takes him, we buy him out, and what Lindy is willing to acknowledge in this year's contract negotiations. If he's willing to take $2-3 million for three years, I'm willing to see if he can parlay his net-front presence into becoming the old-school scoring center that his size and toughness would allow him to be.

Lindholm plays on the PP, on the PK, and takes a lot of important draws 5 on 5. He is putting up 40+ points a year and has the potential for more at 23 years of age.

Having him sign for half/less than half of Staal money (Lindholm had 2 less points), almost half/less than half of Skinner money (I would rather have Lindholm), and less than Rask money (again I would rather have Lindholm) isn’t going to happen.

Frankly, offering under 3 million a year would be a slap in the face. After his ELC, he signed for two years at 2.75 million AAV. He has played above his contract while others have played below theirs IMO. Our total payout to Lindholm over his five year career to this point is less than 8.5 million iirc. Staal and Skinner make 6 and 5.75 million a year respectively.

6 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Lindholm plays on the PP, on the PK, and takes a lot of important draws 5 on 5. He is putting up 40+ points a year and has the potential for more at 23 years of age.

Having him sign for half/less than half of Staal money (Lindholm had 2 less points), almost half/less than half of Skinner money (I would rather have Lindholm), and less than Rask money (again I would rather have Lindholm) isn’t going to happen.

Frankly, offering under 3 million a year would be a slap in the face. After his ELC, he signed for two years at 2.75 million AAV. He has played above his contract while others have played below theirs IMO. Our total payout to Lindholm over his five year career to this point is less than 8.5 million iirc. Staal and Skinner make 6 and 5.75 million a year respectively.

I disagree on your thoughts on Skinner and Staal. I dont think they underplayed their contracts. Staal is much more to this team then his points although quiet I get the feeling from watching the team a ton of players look up to him. Skinner as someone else said was second in the league in take aways. Yes his goal and point total were not what was expected however his coach stuck him with the least amount of help he could have gotten considering his line mates. And as I have said in more then one thread the 2 games he played with PDG and Lindholm he played very well and would have met expectations based on his numbers. 

Derailed, you mistook what I was saying. That’s my fault. I didn’t mean them specifically when I talked about playing under their contract value.

I wasn’t taking at shot at Staal or even Skinner, just pointing out how they compare to Lindholm and the thought of offering him 2 to 3 million AAV.

I used to post more, and for the most part I have been a defender of Staal. In fact I have said on several occasions that Staal is more than his point total so you are echoing what I have said in the past. Unlike Skinner (now I’m taking a shot), I think Staal makes his line-mates better.

As for my thoughts on Skinner playing with Lindholm, this is an inside joke between me and top-shelf that goes back some time. For Lindholm, Skinner is a minus magnet and a point vacuum. It happened in the past and again this year. Lindholm was even when he was reunited with Skinner, he ended up -8 with no goals during his time with Skinner.

What if we went after Carlson?

Maybe things aren’t as bad within the organization as many are making it seem. Dundon’s exit interview with Williams was probably very interesting. Maybe Williams was the one who first suggested Brind’Amour as HC. Maybe Williams reaches out to his old teammate and does some convincing?

That would free us up to move Faulk for another forward or potential 1G. Alright I’m done speculating. 

2 minutes ago, virtus said:

What if we went after Carlson?

Maybe things aren’t as bad within the organization as many are making it seem. Dundon’s exit interview with Williams was probably very interesting. Maybe Williams was the one who first suggested Brind’Amour as HC. Maybe Williams reaches out to his old teammate and does some convincing?

That would free us up to move Faulk for another forward or potential 1G. Alright I’m done speculating. 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:54 AM, gocanes0506 said:

Teams like NYI, TOR, MON, and EDM will be bidding against themselves to get Carlson.  They either want to win now or need to sign a big name and it will drive his cost up there.  He'll get something crazy like 8 for 56 million or 7 for 50 million.  The last 3 years of his contract will be a drag.    Subtracting Faulk and adding Carlson would make our D pretty substantial for the next 4 years but I cant see paying that much. 

17 hours ago, remkin said:

I hope he gets back to form, but I'm more skeptical about it.

Skepticism should be the default position, no doubt about it. At this point he has to convince us he belongs here.

I do temper my skepticism a bit, having tried to play with a long-term rotator cuff issue myself, albeit at a far (far far far far, far far) less demanding (beer swilling) level. Victor clearly had the skills, the question is whether he still does. Assuming it's the same shoulder that he's now dealing with, it sounds like a botched surgery, which is pretty hard to blame on its victim.

But even if it's the other and he was playing with it most of the year (we will likely never know), it might explain his even-more-sluggish-than-usual skating. It is exponentially harder to develop speed on skates without swinging the arms from the shoulders at least a little, and a cuff injury makes every other swing, not to mention every cross-check received, painful--and cross-checked is what you get if you live in the slot. It might also explain his tentative stick work, which requires two arms. 

Either way, were an $8-million-year boat with two project players - he and Darling - no matter how you slice it. 

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Skepticism should be the default position, no doubt about it. At this point he has to convince us he belongs here.

I do temper my skepticism a bit, having tried to play with a long-term rotator cuff issue myself, albeit at a far (far far far far, far far) less demanding (beer swilling) level. Victor clearly had the skills, the question is whether he still does. Assuming it's the same shoulder that he's now dealing with, it sounds like a botched surgery, which is pretty hard to blame on its victim.

But even if it's the other and he was playing with it most of the year (we will likely never know), it might explain his even-more-sluggish-than-usual skating. It is exponentially harder to develop speed on skates without swinging the arms from the shoulders at least a little, and a cuff injury makes every other swing, not to mention every cross-check received, painful--and cross-checked is what you get if you live in the slot. It might also explain his tentative stick work, which requires two arms. 

Do we know when the injury occurred or if it is the same shoulder? I just wonder if the problem hit him when his play fell off (half way through two years ago) why didn't he get it fixed this off-season? I thought I heard something about him being injured towards the end of this season, but I might have dreamt it.

If the injury is a big part of the issue, that might be the best possible thing.

15 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Our total payout to Lindholm over his five year career to this point is less than 8.5 million iirc. 

I'm actually fine with paying him more, although I don't think a bridge deal at $3 million is exactly a slap in the face, given where he went in the draft and what others in the same draft class have already achieved. It's a $300k raise... that's almost a GM in Dundonland :)

That being said, he's not to blame for the org shoving too many minutes down his throat far too early in his development. My feeling has always been that between him and Rask, at least one can become a #1. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
factual error

37 minutes ago, remkin said:

Do we know when the injury occurred or if it is the same shoulder?

Of course not. This is 2018 and we're talking about the NHL. Thanks Lou Lamoriello...

Here's what we do know: Rask had his first rotator cuff surgery in the summer of 2016, and hasn't been the same since the injury occurred, which I'm 99 percent sure was mid season of 15-16.

Here's Chip's lede re Pesce and Rask, from this March:

BY CHIP ALEXANDER

calexander@newsobserver.com

March 21, 2018 06:07 PM

Updated March 22, 2018 04:33 PM

RALEIGH 

The Carolina Hurricanes announced Wednesday that defenseman Brett Pesce and center Victor Rask would miss the remainder of the season, both with shoulder injuries.

Canes coach Bill Peters said Thursday both could undergo surgery, saying, "Both guys have been playing with it for quite a while."

Well quite a while could be that long. Pesce too, had come off his game some, and will probably be back to his normal self at some point.

Surgeries are tricky, especially when low blood supply structures come into play.  Took Tiger Woods 4 tries for his back.

I doubt you'll ever hear about a failed surgery.  As I mentioned before, if you live through the surgery, it is a "success."  In sports terms, I think we are seeing Rask's surgery was a failure.

• Like 1