The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Brind'Amour New Head Coach

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I find it very interesting Steve Smith didn't stick with BP. A bit of reassurance for myself the coaches decision was the best one if I don't find the same solace with Waddell. 

And we know this how? Have seen nothing on Steve Smith, either going or staying. Just curious as I really thought Smith was good even though the D seemed to have regressed. Not sure that was the fault of their coach, or counting on their supposed leader( our touted away C ) once the veteran in the group( Hainsey ) was traded?

Smith is listed as Assistant Coach on the team website. I have always liked Smith. He presided over a historically excellent PK, even if it slipped a bit last year, and seems steady and smart.

It does show a tendency to "we've really been pretty close to having this thing figured out", though as very little outside influence has been brought in. Not even sure, heck the forwards assistant might come from inside the way this is going. Maybe this is one place we could find a guy not on the Cane's payroll. Or Waddell could take one more job.

wralSPORTSfan

Why Rod Brind'Amour is the right choice to lead the Hurricanes By Adam Gold

Go back and look at the teams that had success in 2002, 2006 and 2009. Sure, there was talent – every team has talent. But it was leadership and accountability from within

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

wralSPORTSfan

Why Rod Brind'Amour is the right choice to lead the Hurricanes By Adam Gold

I'm waiting for "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" by Adam Gold. At least he'd be writing about something he knows.

Making Roddy the coach was an obvious shout-out (and "come back" plea) to former Canes STHs and fair-weather fans. That doesn't mean it was the wrong decision, however, and though I opposed it based on his lack of HC experience, there is no denying that everyone will be expected to put on their big-boy pants and will be looking for work if they don't. Which, in this org, is very long overdue.

Edited by top-shelf-1
grammar

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm waiting for "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" by Adam Gold.

I only post them. You don't have to read them. 

• Like 1

Is Adam Gold the guy during games who gives his thoughts on the game? He always sounds like the satellite connection from Mars has a few loose screws.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Making Roddy the coach was an obvious shout-out (and "come back" plea) to former Canes STHs and fair-weather fans.

I don't see this as so obvious. My opinion just like this comment.  If an organization makes this large a decision using even a small part of it based on fan preferences I personally would be appalled.  I want decision made on the best change to improve the team and win.  What the fan base wants is secondary unless it is "improving the team and winning."   The as we have been sucking for 9 years.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cc said:

If an organization makes this large a decision using even a small part of it based on fan preferences I personally would be appalled.

I agree totally, but don't think it was made on fan preference. I think it was a business decision. Dundon knew Roddy wanted a shot, and that his popularity would buy him more time to succeed than would pretty much any other choice--plus add to the gate revenue to boot. That's the obviousness I was referencing, i.e., from a purely cost/benefit point of view, which is how I believe Dundon is going to make all his decisions. As he should.

What I've seen so far is that Dundon has taken stock of all of the guys around here and decided which ones are on board with his plan and is sticking with them. Bind'Amour was asked how he would change the culture and he said making everyone feel like they are an important part of things and have a voice. That sounds an awful lot like Dundon could have said it. Seems like Dundon has not made much of any connection with anyone outside of the organization for one of our key jobs. I also doubt Dundon is trying to placate fans with the Brind'Amour pick. I think Dundon is truly enamored with Rod.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:17 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

Making Roddy the coach was an obvious shout-out (and "come back" plea) to former Canes STHs and fair-weather fans.

I highly doubt that.  That's my opinion.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2018 at 3:15 AM, KJUNKANE said:

And we know this how? Have seen nothing on Steve Smith, either going or staying. Just curious as I really thought Smith was good even though the D seemed to have regressed. Not sure that was the fault of their coach, or counting on their supposed leader( our touted away C ) once the veteran in the group( Hainsey ) was traded? 

I visited the team's website and looked under Team/Staff Directory.  It lists "Steve Smith" as Assistant Coach.

I hope Smith stays.  If Peters does want to try to poach him, he likely wouldn't ask permission to speak to him until after the Worlds are done. But with Brindy taking the reins, that seems like much less of a threat than if Smith were looking at a new "external" coach coming in (unless Brindy has someone else in particular in mind).

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Pretty sure Brindy said he had a great working relationship with Smitty, but was open to maybe adding another assistant to cover any blindspots he might have. My takeaway was that if Steve is the one who will decide if he is sticking with us or not.

1 hour ago, DevildogKodi said:

Pretty sure Brindy said he had a great working relationship with Smitty, but was open to maybe adding another assistant to cover any blindspots he might have. My takeaway was that if Steve is the one who will decide if he is sticking with us or not.

I agree. Rod’s comments at his presser made me think he intended to keep the staff he has been working with, i.e., Smith and the goalie coach. If we want a new goalie coach, I think I just read that the goalie coach in Columbus was parting ways with the Jackets after 7 years. 

38 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think I just read that the goalie coach in Columbus was parting ways with the Jackets after 7 years. 

Can he bring a goalie with him B)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Sorry for my confusion, but are y'all saying you heard RB indicate he might only go with 1 assistant coach?

I didn't hear him address the coaching staff at all except for some nice words about Smith. I can't imaging he would go with only one assistant.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Sorry for my confusion, but are y'all saying you heard RB indicate he might only go with 1 assistant coach?

Disclaimer, I am not a transcriptionist. But this is what Rod said about 10 minutes into the presser after complimenting Smith and Bailes (sp?)

"I'll probably add somebody maybe we'll talk about it"

My impression was that he is happy with the rest of the coaching staff and any addition would be geared toward covering any gaps they feel he has.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Rod can be his own assistant this year then hire J-Willy when he retires after this season ;)

Why else would you buy a multi-million dollar house.

given brind'amours track record  of what he wants out of a team and what he is will to do to improve that team , im thinking he will want guys who will play their hearts out and play a full 60 game in and game out ,  what the hurricanes have right now id be will to bet safely we have  at least some  guys who fit that mold ,  but out of those  guys  it's  not the full  core that we assume to have ,  it's guys like  slavin , skinner , taravinen , van riemsdyk , ward ,  nordstrom  ,  mcginn , staal , taravainen ,  williams , aho , rask .   , everyone else  is partial to being gone  . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Looks like we could have a new assistant coach soon! Maybe this week

Brind'Amour closing in on hiring an assistant coach to complete his staff

A pressing matter for Brind’Amour is hiring an assistant coach to complete his staff. He said an announcement likely will come this week, saying it will come after meeting with a large number of candidates.

• Like 1

I wonder what system  Brind'amour will use for the canes , a more forechecking system or more of a trap  system that  allows for a quick transition .

some ideas  would be   2-3  on offense  and  use a 1-2-2 on the blue line ,   it helps generate pure offense that allows the canes to not only contain the puck but  open up offenses for a quick strike  for high scoring chances ,   

if we were to play a more defensive  system  we can run a  1-2-2 passive   with a 1-3-1   trap  that would   allow us the contain the puck  but allow the team to shut down  teams trying to get pass the canes  , there would be fewer shots  against us but we would be sacrificing   a lot of offense  scoring  chances  and shot chances on net .