The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Brind'Amour New Head Coach

?HELL YAHHHHHHHHHHH?

But I know this means one day he’ll be fired...and a lot of you aren’t happy either...

• Like 4

So, this reminds me of an observation I overheard the other day attributed to a minister, but I'll apply it to Rod's position now. He'll get up and point blank state that his hire will miraculously please everyone!! Yep, he'll go on to state, his hire will please 1/3rd of Caniacs, his coaching will please 1/3rd of Caniacs, and his firing will eventually please 1/3rd of Caniacs1 Such is the life of a coach.

4 minutes ago, Caniac-Ironman said:

I hope someone in the presser has the guts to ask “how do you plan to change the culture here when you have been entrenched as one of the coaches the past several years?”

I hope someone goes a step further and asks the coastal point.  How are do you hire a coach before the GM?  What will the GM actually do if he cant make personnel or coaching decisions?

Edited by gocanes0506
welp scratch that.

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

I hope someone goes a step further and asks the coastal question.  How are do you hire a coach before the GM?  What will the GM actually do if he cant make personnel or coaching decisions?

Simple gocanes, Assist TD making personnel and coaching decisions.

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

I hope someone goes a step further and asks the coastal point.  How are do you hire a coach before the GM?  What will the GM actually do if he cant make personnel or coaching decisions?

I agree completely with Coastal’s point. I think it may also be an indication that Dundon is going to try to empower his coach in more personnel decisions of what he needs to make things work on the ice.

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

Simple gocanes, Assist TD making personnel and coaching decisions.

had to scratch it since TD basically did that.  Had Waddell sit in the position to "make decisions."

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

I think this was a very bad move.

Dude, you think everything is a bad move...even the ones you say are awesome ones you come back and say they were crap moves 6 months later when they turn out to be duds

• Like 1

I had hoped we'd go outside, and hoped we'd go GM first. I would have liked Brind'Amour to have tried HC in Charlotte first too. I have to think we are narrowing our options at GM. On top of everything else the new GM will not have a say in HC, AND has to deal with his new coach also being a local legend.

On the flipside the new GM can't be blamed for the coach, so he gets a bit of a pass and can focus on player moves. Also Forslund thought he'd be a good choice.

In my mind this makes the GM hire essential. It cannot be Don Waddell. That would signal that the new owner thinks that his in house people have it all figured out. New ideas and voices from other successful operations is important. So far we have the guy who's been here forever, the other guy whose been here forever and the brand new guy who is just learning hockey. Bringing in an outside voice will make that committee better.

I agree.  

Right order would have been to give Roddy an AHL \ OHL  type of team and let him get a bit of time  under his belt.  I wish him the very best and hope the GM and Owner give him the tools to succeed.  

One thing is for certain... Roddy knows nothing short of 100% effort.  ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

I had hoped we'd go outside, and hoped we'd go GM first. I would have liked Brind'Amour to have tried HC in Charlotte first too. I have to think we are narrowing our options at GM. On top of everything else the new GM will not have a say in HC, AND has to deal with his new coach also being a local legend.

On the flipside the new GM can't be blamed for the coach, so he gets a bit of a pass and can focus on player moves. Also Forslund thought he'd be a good choice.

In my mind this makes the GM hire essential. It cannot be Don Waddell. That would signal that the new owner thinks that his in house people have it all figured out. New ideas and voices from other successful operations is important. So far we have the guy who's been here forever, the other guy whose been here forever and the brand new guy who is just learning hockey. Bringing in an outside voice will make that committee better.

but it is

This is what I get for posting at work. I saw this before the other thread. Not a fan. Either move, but not both.

Can only hope that since both Rod and Waddell have been around they have a good finger on the pulse of who should stay or go.  At least that portion of the team evaluation is done and we can move on to the draft /free agents versus new personnel spending valuable time figuring things out.

Brindy has the credential and has put in his time. You can't question his desire, no nonsense approach or understanding of the game.He has put himself in a position to need to prove he can succeed as a head coach but I don't think he shrinks from any challenge. Best Luck Brindy.

• Like 3

Now all he has to do is come out of retirement and become the C...and show them some real leadership 

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Can't wait for the gnashing of teeth about his eventual classless firing.

LOL, literally. Glad you're thinking ahead.

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't like it because it seems like not enough of a culture change.

I really wanted Vellucci, but hey. Roddy changed the on-ice culture as a player, and this much is for sure: Guys who take shifts off will not last on his roster. I hope there's no lingering bad blood between him and Jordan, but have to doubt it. Jordan is a completely different player and personality, with a totally different work ethic than his brother--i.e., Jordan has one.

Have to think Willy's exit interview played a role in this appointment. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Also Forslund thought he'd be a good choice.

John Forslund will never say any Hurricanes management or coaching move is a bad one, Rem, at least not as long as TD signs his checks. He gets more leeway on players, although I'm sure a few of them are off-limits too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Roddy changed the on-ice culture as a player, and this much is for sure: Guys who take shifts off will not last on his roster.

Personally I would prefer Rod with more coaching experience or a seasoned coach from outside. But Rod definitely has qualities to be successful as others mentioned. My only hope, coming from Top and SD1 comments earlier, that he will be allowed to hold players accountable, because Rod himself will surely do.

• Like 2

Yall a bunch of whine a babies.  Judges ,Jurys and executioners without a crime being committed.  Bunch of jokers yall are. 

My impressions, and I stress "impressions" because they're based only on what I see from my couch.

My impression of Brindy's best assets is that they're great for a player, but wonder how transferable they are to others as a coach?  I see some the most important qualities for great current day coaches to center around creating great systems and structure (along with great evaluation ability).  Think Belichick, Popovich, etc.  Having said that, presumably Peters biggest strength was systems and structure, so hopefully Roddy picked up that part from him, and with the qualities he brings, can turn the Canes around. 

I was for Vellucci over Brindy, but now that Brindy's the man, I'm behind him and can't wait to see what happens. 

20 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Sweet baby jeebus...look at those biceps!  Put that man back on the ice!

• Like 1

Welp, thats that. Another inside job on a non playoff team with a horrible powerplay. I guess after this we will have tried every experiment possible with coaching besides hiring a winning NHL coach.  Here’s to Rod proving me wrong and showing that it does not matter he bad been part of the mediocre years, he can take this and turn it around now that he can do things his way.  I sure hope FA and trades are more exciting than this move or we are in for another 85point year.  I kind of have a good feeling that things will come together this year. 

I guess Rod gets svechnikov and an even better TT/Aho combo.  That there should make things easier.  Now what to do about our 33year old goaltender and our signes long term starter who looked about as good as a high school goalie last season. 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

In my mind this makes the GM hire essential. It cannot be Don Waddell.

From NHL.com:

Brind'Amour, 47, an assistant and development coach for Carolina since June 7, 2011, will replace Bill Peters, who resigned April 20 and was hired as coach of the Calgary Flames three days later.

Don Waddell was also named Carolina's president and general manager.

So there's that.....