The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Brind'Amour New Head Coach

Wondering what the fresh ideas are? He certainly can motivate and control a locker room.

Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said in the team release:

"Rod is the greatest leader in the history of this franchise, and has earned the opportunity to take charge of our locker room. We spoke to a number of candidates for this position, but our conversations with staff and players consistently returned to the same person. Rod's fresh ideas, ability to motivate and understanding of what it takes to bring a championship to Raleigh will help our young team take the next step toward competing to bring the Cup back to North Carolina."

Probably in the minority here, but I like the hire.  As I continued to think about it more since RB threw his hat in the ring, I was actually hoping they would hire him.  It is a risk, but anytime you hire a new HC there is some risk.  I think he might be just what this franchise needs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

John Forslund will never say any Hurricanes management or coaching move is a bad one, Rem, at least not as long as TD signs his checks. He gets more leeway on players, although I'm sure a few of them are off-limits too. 

I agree, but he went out of his way to say it and sounded pretty sincere. I think his bias is mostly that he's known and respected Rod for so many years, more than the paycheck thing.

Well, as many, I am on the fence (Luckily it's not a pointed one!) After reading many post, I too want to see Roddie make good on this opportunity. I think the first year we will not make the playoffs but maybe the second. It all depends on if the players see Roddie "really" mad!

I stand behind the move and just hope we stop dumping and chasing!

I feel the canes new owner is all busness . I except GREAT things to happen

Edited by ja1964
makes more sense

As I posted in the GM thread, almost everything TD has done since he became the new owner has been unconventional—but the conventional has not gotten us anywhere the past nine years. 

DW is mostly a placeholder—TD is going to take an active role in managing this team, as he already has shown, and I think he'll do that primarily with RB's input. That might be a smashing success or it might be a trainwreck. Time will tell.  

While I might have preferred someone with head-coaching experience, RB will make the team work harder, play with more grit, and he'll command the room better than most. When everything else is peeled away, RB is a winner. That's the one thing I'm counting on to make him and this team successful going forward.

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Didn't realize Rod got a ringing endorsement from Justin Williams.  Our unofficial captain approves.  Now we get to move forward with the rest of the offseason.

How many days until our new head coach names the unofficial captain the official captain?

7 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

How many days until our new head coach names the unofficial captain the official captain?

Hopefully tomorrow!

6 hours ago, remkin said:

I had hoped we'd go outside, and hoped we'd go GM first. I would have liked Brind'Amour to have tried HC in Charlotte first too. I have to think we are narrowing our options at GM. On top of everything else the new GM will not have a say in HC, AND has to deal with his new coach also being a local legend.

On the flipside the new GM can't be blamed for the coach, so he gets a bit of a pass and can focus on player moves. Also Forslund thought he'd be a good choice.

In my mind this makes the GM hire essential. It cannot be Don Waddell. That would signal that the new owner thinks that his in house people have it all figured out. New ideas and voices from other successful operations is important. So far we have the guy who's been here forever, the other guy whose been here forever and the brand new guy who is just learning hockey. Bringing in an outside voice will make that committee better.

Well, yes it can be Don Waddell. Loved Rod as a player. If we were staying in house, Vellucci had so much more on his resume to be the guy. Successful in juniors. Successful in Charlotte. Not an assistant for 7 years of futility under 2 different coaches. Having said that, nothing to do now but get behind Rod. It’s going to be a lot harder to get behind Waddell. I wanted him fired the day PK hired him to sell tickets. But that’s another thread.

7 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Rod is the greatest leader in the history of this franchise, and has earned the opportunity to take charge of our locker room. We spoke to a number of candidates for this position, but our conversations with staff and players consistently returned to the same person. Rod's fresh ideas, ability to motivate and understanding of what it takes

There is also the touching article by Mike Sundheim on the Canes page. Good luck, Rod!

1st home game Rods name is announced as coach, MASSIVE cheer. I think the fans will be behind him. In fact if we start sucking I don't think the arena fans would boo HIM.

8 hours ago, remkin said:

I agree, but he went out of his way to say it and sounded pretty sincere. I think his bias is mostly that he's known and respected Rod for so many years, more than the paycheck thing.

Forslund began laying the groundwork for this announcement within a day of BP's departure, as I recall. I'm confident this decision was made before BP even arrived for his final presser.

Edited by top-shelf-1
extraneous word

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Forslund began laying the groundwork for this announcement within a day of BP's departure, as I recall. I'm confident this decision was made before BP even arrived for his final presser.

I think you are right.

Early on TD mentioned talking to the smart hockey people on the team, and one has to wonder if he didn't make some pretty early quick decisions based on that, if nothing more than to shake things up and provide a long term interim (i.e. a year or two versus day to day) situation.  The interviewing was more to find a diamond in the rough.

I don't know.  Can't figure this guy out.

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I think you are right.

Early on TD mentioned talking to the smart hockey people on the team, and one has to wonder if he didn't make some pretty early quick decisions based on that, if nothing more than to shake things up and provide a long term interim (i.e. a year or two versus day to day) situation.  The interviewing was more to find a diamond in the rough.

I don't know.  Can't figure this guy out.

I think you're spot on. The best strategy for any new leader in a dysfunctional org is exactly the one TD has pursued: Talk to everybody, decide who you trust - and who you need in the short term, while you get up to speed - and act on what the majority of people are telling you.

It's pretty clear that TD heard negative stuff about RF. It also seems he was prepared to stick with BP if BP wanted to stay, but also that he knew BP would likely bolt for a longer-term deal if one was offered. 

We already know this guy has world-class business management chops. He only looks clueless if you consider his moves within the bubble of the (incestuous) hockey world.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I

We already know this guy has world-class business management chops. He only looks clueless if you consider his moves within the bubble of the (incestuous) hockey world. 

EXACTLY-  I could not agree more.

• Like 2

Caught the end of Dan Rosen on XM this morning and he basically was speculating exactly what top-shelf described above ... minus the incestuous comment.  :)

RALEIGH, NC – The Carolina Hurricanes will hold a news conference on Wednesday at noon in the Media Lounge on the Arena level of PNC Arena. Hurricanes Owner, CEO and Governor Tom Dundon, President and General Manager Don Waddell and new Head Coach Rod Brind’Amour will be available.

The team will stream the event live on CarolinaHurricanes.com.

RALEIGHFOX Sports Carolinas will deliver live coverage of the Carolina Hurricanes press conference introducing new Head Coach Rod Brind’Amour on Wednesday, May 9, at noon ET. Hurricanes owner, CEO and Governor Tom Dundon and President and General Manager Don Waddell are also scheduled to be in attendance.

Programming Alert  @NHLCanes Press Conference today at 12noon announcing Rod Brind'amour as their new Head coach to be carried LIVE on @999TheFan Stream @WRALSportsFan WRALsportsfan App

OK. After some reflection, I have mixed feelings. I am feeling a bit better about Brind'Amour, (and a bit worse about Waddell see the other thread).

This is totally projection, and may not apply at all, but that's never stopped me. I was reading a piece about the Red Sox and their rookie manager Alex Cora. Last year the Red Sox were one of the worst hitting teams in MLB. They persued a strategy of taking lots of pitches. They were at the top of the league or near it, in strikes taken. And they had bad power numbers. Enter Alex Cora, a rookie manager, who BTW played for the World Series winning Red Sox team, who analyzed that, and other team's including the Champs and completely flipped the script. Now player are encouraged to cut at any juicy pitch anywhere in the count. The Sox are now dominant and one of the most powerful hitting teams around. Mostly same players.

So when the announcement came, one point made was this. Brind'Amour pours over the strategies. He is not just a rah-rah spiritual leader. He did have a lot of respect for Bill Peters hockey mind, but then again, he's his own man too. We all know he has the heart and guts thing down. If he has a good strategic plan, he could be very good. He was brilliant at gaining edges as a player (see face-off stats), so why not as coach? Also, he's been brutally honest in those in game interviews, so that could be interesting. Like Cora, he might see things he can only enact if he's coach.

I had hoped he'd go take over Charlotte and get some HC experience, but a hockey legend probably isn't going to do that, and it's a bit of an ask I guess. I would have also hoped he'd at least be an assistant in a different, but high success operation, but that was Peters, and while it's not all on him, that didn't work out. And Brindy has put in his time in the assistant slot.

I am ready to wait and see on Brindy. I think he's hard working, and prepares for coaching with the intensity he prepared for playing. He is not going to just dump the pucks out there at practice and have guys figure it out. He will come with a plan and he will expect a lot. And in this game that goes a long way.

This team has more sneaky talent than some think. As we've already noted, even an average #1 goalie and last year's team makes the playoffs. This year, we hope to add Necas, Svechnikov, and hopefully at least one legit veteran top 6 forward. It's really going to come down to finding a goalie more than anything else.

For me, these are some curious decisions. I will question them at first, but eventually, as a fan, give the guys in these positions the initial benefit of the doubt. Rod's been wanting this (a lot of star players don't), and I have no doubt he'll give it his all.