The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Brind'Amour New Head Coach

25 minutes ago, remkin said:

OK. After some reflection, I have mixed feelings. I am feeling a bit better about Brind'Amour, (and a bit worse about Waddell see the other thread).

This is totally projection, and may not apply at all, but that's never stopped me. I was reading a piece about the Red Sox and their rookie manager Alex Cora. Last year the Red Sox were one of the worst hitting teams in MLB. They persued a strategy of taking lots of pitches. They were at the top of the league or near it, in strikes taken. And they had bad power numbers. Enter Alex Cora, a rookie manager, who BTW played for the World Series winning Red Sox team, who analyzed that, and other team's including the Champs and completely flipped the script. Now player are encouraged to cut at any juicy pitch anywhere in the count. The Sox are now dominant and one of the most powerful hitting teams around. Mostly same players.

So when the announcement came, one point made was this. Brind'Amour pours over the strategies. He is not just a rah-rah spiritual leader. He did have a lot of respect for Bill Peters hockey mind, but then again, he's his own man too. We all know he has the heart and guts thing down. If he has a good strategic plan, he could be very good. He was brilliant at gaining edges as a player (see face-off stats), so why not as coach? Also, he's been brutally honest in those in game interviews, so that could be interesting. Like Cora, he might see things he can only enact if he's coach.

I had hoped he'd go take over Charlotte and get some HC experience, but a hockey legend probably isn't going to do that, and it's a bit of an ask I guess. I would have also hoped he'd at least be an assistant in a different, but high success operation, but that was Peters, and while it's not all on him, that didn't work out. And Brindy has put in his time in the assistant slot.

I am ready to wait and see on Brindy. I think he's hard working, and prepares for coaching with the intensity he prepared for playing. He is not going to just dump the pucks out there at practice and have guys figure it out. He will come with a plan and he will expect a lot. And in this game that goes a long way.

This team has more sneaky talent than some think. As we've already noted, even an average #1 goalie and last year's team makes the playoffs. This year, we hope to add Necas, Svechnikov, and hopefully at least one legit veteran top 6 forward. It's really going to come down to finding a goalie more than anything else.

For me, these are some curious decisions. I will question them at first, but eventually, as a fan, give the guys in these positions the initial benefit of the doubt. Rod's been wanting this (a lot of star players don't), and I have no doubt he'll give it his all.

I started typing an almost identical post but I wanted to let others weigh in as it's early and will be a long time before we actually get the answers.

The main salient point to me being, Rod seems to be a team guy all the way, and probably was as assistant coach as well.  We have no idea what he will do as the leader, i.e. as far as style goes.  He played from the spectrum of 5 guys back Mo to 5 guys forward Lavioilette and many points in between.  I have hopes he has his own theories on what works and what doesn't, the means to communicate it, and the style will be both more enjoyable to be a fan of, in addition to being more successful.

• Like 1

Brindy doesn't think a huge system overhaul is needed, just higher standards. 3 year deal. Thinks coaches shouldn't play favorites, then named Williams his favorite 2.5 seconds later. Which is fine cause I think he's most fans favorite.

Waddells answer to what changed about what made him want the job sucked. He said getting the #2 pick changed his mind which likely would have changed alot of outsiders minds, but if your apart of this organization shouldn't you believe in it with or without the pick?

Doesn't seem to sound like Steve Smith's bags are packed, Brindy said he's good friends with him and that he's a winner/what we need to be successful.

Those are my few highlights.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

My impression is Rod mostly said the right things. He knows changes are coming but in the event they don't he has to show confidence in the players he has and the belief they can be more than they have been.

It does look like decision by committee as far as the GM. Enough said.

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

minus the incestuous comment.  :)

Well of course. He knows which side (of the border) his bread is buttered on...

20 hours ago, ja1964 said:

I donot care whos the coach is, if we don,t  have good enough players this move is worth nothing

And specifically goaltending. Risking broken record status, I'll say it again: With average goaltending in the season just ended, we're in the postseason.

Upthread spyglass said Waddell is a placeholder, and I think he's right. I am hoping that Vellucci  grooms a successor from within his assistant ranks in CLT next season, then takes the GM chair. Waddell can close out his career as Prez of Hockey Ops.

You need a line of succession with players (a depth chart based on experience and ability), and the same goes for management. I'm not the least bit surprised that TD wants to be hands-on about ensuring that is put in place, and at just 51, Vellucci could be an effective GM for a long time.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2018 at 8:33 AM, bluedevil58 said:

Hey I just want to go on record for stating it.  Rod forced TD's hand.  We should have gone with a proven coach this time around.  Starting to seem a lot like our goaltender situation.  I hope he does well.

Totally agree...we went from Mo to Lavi to Mo to Muller to Peters to Brindy. Translation: We went from guys with head coaching experience to an assistant under an "okay" coach (Muller), to an assistant (Peters) under a really good coach (Babcock).

Now we're going with an assistant (Brindy) under a coach that previously had no head coaching experience (Peters)....and Brindy himself has ZERO head coaching experience at any level. There is no debate to Brindy's "work ethic" and drive as a player, but does that equate to an effective offensive system? Gretzky was one of the greatest players on the planet. He was touted as "seeing the game" better than anyone alive....and he was a terrible coach. Of course I hope Brindy kills it and does a great job, but once again it seems like this team handles their business like a minor league team giving shots to guys because they have been loyal to their organization, etc. I actually would felt a lot better had they tapped someone like Jeff Daniels for the job if they were going to stay in house and didn't want to spend any money. He built this team in Charlotte....well, some of it. Only time will tell I guess. Go Canes!      

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Highlights?

Adding to Legend.

Paraphrasing...  Brindi said something like "you aren't going to fool me.  If you are supposed to stand at netfront and I see you move away I am going to know why.  I have been there and I know what is going on.  Guys are going to be accountable, and that's what the guys want."

My translation:  Guys aren't doing their job, and it frustrates other guys.  The "that's what the guys want" means that there are guys on the roster who want other guys *edit* kicked because they aren't doing their job, and in order for all of it to work everyone has to do their part.  In turn, its hard to motivate yourself to go the extra mile when other guys aren't even going the first mile.  

Other translation.  As a player you aren't going to BS Brindi.

On the culture, he talked a lot about how we had good people who weren't necessarily the highest skilled players in the league, but they were all in for each other.  Somewhere along the line we still kept getting good people but they have lost the all in for each other part, and he believes they can find that again.

My interpretation...   we used to have guys hiding puking in the locker room just to stay in the game with a concussion, lying down in front of pucks and getting broken wrists, coming back to play with a broken neck, and that was just in the stanley cup finals alone, and that is a long way from how hard these guys lay it on the line now.  That is the level he wants the culture to get to again.

• Like 3

Hopefully Brindamour can get that level of accountability. At least he must have a clear idea of who the problem children are, and maybe has more input on the Committee than Peters did with Francis. Seems that to have any hope of accountability the coach needs support from higher up in terms of dealing with the guys not doing it. Cut ice time, bring up other guys, press box, and finally trading guys. I just don't think Brindy staring guys down is a long term fix. Has to be more behind it.

• Like 1

I think a in your face attitude at camp can get some complacent players to get it together. It's going to be what happens after game 20 and complacency attempts to rear it's ugly head that will be telling what the new regime is all about.

1 hour ago, Altaholic said:

Now we're going with an assistant (Brindy) under a coach that previously had no head coaching experience (Peters)....

Actually Bill Peters had no head coaching experience in the NHL, but he was a head coach in the WHL and the AHL.

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And specifically goaltending. Risking broken record status, I'll say it again: With average goaltending in the season just ended, we're in the postseason.

Ron Francis should have been FIRED after the signing of scott darling

scott daring so far is one of the biggest bust the hurricanes have made in there short history in the Carolinas . I hope daring proves me and hurricanes fans wrong.

bill peters also needed to go .

2 hours ago, reelpirate5 said:

Actually Bill Peters had no head coaching experience in the NHL, but he was a head coach in the WHL and the AHL.

I feel our new ownership will give brindamour all the tools he needs

I,m also on the Memphis grizzlies fan message board under the name lions

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

On the culture, he talked a lot about how we had good people who weren't necessarily the highest skilled players in the league, but they were all in for each other.  Somewhere along the line we still kept getting good people but they have lost the all in for each other part, and he believes they can find that again.

This is the thing I took away from the interview and in my mind the biggest challenge.  But, having said that, ask yourself who is the better person to have a chance to pull it off?  I hope the comments about accountability to your teammates and having a green light to hold people accountable is true.  Peters said kind of the same thing but never really swung [or was allowed to] a big hammer to any great extent.

As far as the x's and o's and I want to see who Brindy surrounds himself with behind the bench.

Finally got to watch the presser...HOLY CRAP!

I am EXSTATIC with what I heard...I just pray he follows through on it and they players respond positively.

Still shuddering at Waddell being the GM, though...

7 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Waddells answer to what changed about what made him want the job sucked. He said getting the #2 pick changed his mind which likely would have changed alot of outsiders minds, but if your apart of this organization shouldn't you believe in it with or without the pick?

I'd fire him just for that comment. Either your committed or ya ain't.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ja1964 said:

Ron Francis should have been FIRED after the signing of scott darling

I completely agree RF should have been fired sooner than he was, but Darling was the logical choice when he was signed last summer, based on both his previous record and who was available. Good GMs play the percentages, and RF did. That doesn't mean he was an effective GM, just that Darling was the problem in this particular case, not Francis' choosing to sign him.

When Ronnie should have gotten the ax was after he failed to address the goaltending problem at the trade deadline, by acquiring Mrazek (or some other keeper) for the stretch drive. He had the roster pace and sat on his hands. The Flyers meanwhile went and got a keeper, at the ridiculously low price of a fourth-round pick, and made the playoffs because they did.

4 hours ago, reelpirate5 said:

Thank you. And, he led his WHL club to the Memorial Cup, and his AHL club to the playoffs two of three years--where he also coached eight future Stanley Cup winners. Brindy will be better for having worked with Peters, and if Dundon lets Brindy bench guys who earn it, Brindy should be fine. If not, it'll be the same-old same-old. For me, that will be the determining factor in whether PK is given too much influence. I think under PK-JR-RF, coaches did not have complete final say on who dressed, and if that continues, it's NFG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I'd fire him just for that comment. Either your committed or ya ain't.

Agreed, and that answer is what makes me think he's temporary. But it also scares me, because it was the one question he should have expected and been prepared to answer. Waddell strikes me as a fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants kinda guy, but the reason I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt is that whatever else we know about him, we also know his fiscal and administrative oversight over the past three years, when PK was distracted by lawsuits and had clearly lost interest, probably helped keep this team here until a new owner could be found. 

• Like 2