The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PenaltyKiller17

Don Waddell New President and GM of Carolina Hurricanes

this was supposed to be the biggest decision for the offseason and we dont!  Sad, just sad.  We cant get a guy to buy into the GM doesnt have singular decision making authority (rightfully).  So we go with Waddell who doesnt mind being told what to do.  Big time let down.

My head is just spinning from these events. And if Waddell trades away or anyway changes out top pick, I'm thinking long and hard of not continuing as a STH.

So it appears certain people were able to bend the ear of T.D. and get a promotion... Good for them and as said before,ITS put up or shut up time in Carolina

"After an extensive, no expense spared search, we have decided a couple of guys we had hanging around were the best candidates for the two most important positions in the organization"

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Guys, our Kinetico commercials are about to get INSANELY BETTER!!!

maybe we switch to protein bars or health foods?

I'm not saying that this is a great move. Time will tell.

It's unconventional, to be sure, but the conventional hasn't worked out very well for us the last several years.

Very disappointed with the GM appointment.  

Nothing has seemed like an improvement in the running of the club since JR's departure.  Ron the Ref, the DJ, Parking, food, you name it.  I was willing to give it a try when we hired someone from the Thrashers but I can't hang my hat on a single thing I believe is an improvement.

This is a small time move and not befitting a big time long term investment.  Maybe someone is planning to buy and hold until such time they can sell the franchise and reap the reward 5 or so years down the road.

As for people willing to become GM I don't buy that the salary OR TD's insistence that an owner can call the shots when he choses was the problem.  If a GM is confident in their abilities AND the owner will open the checkbook it shouldn't matter.  Just because the press thinks an owner should not be able to call the shots on his own club IF he feels the need doesn't mean that's how it really should be in the business world.  A competent GM with confidence would be up to that challenge, a budding assistant GM wanting to prove themselves would also.  I wonder if the reality was we were trying to make it LOOK like a search.  

As for the Coach - I am a mammoth fan of Brind'Amour.  I just hope they give him the tools to succeed - Assistants, players etc...

Regardless, nothing about these two decisions motivates me to buy a ticket.

Obviously not pleased with the GM hiring, but I doubt he’ll be any worse than the disaster that was JR post-2006

I'm less than enthused about both of today's moves but they're done and now i'm ready to pull for the Waddell-managed Brind'Amour-coached Hurricanes.  Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 5

So I didn't get the job for this?

Everything stays in house. I can't help but not feel great about this. It fits in with Dundon wanting to run the show and not wanting dissenting voices and or being utterly unable to hire anyone else.

I can live with Brind'Amour as coach way better than this.

It's nice that the two most qualified people in the world for the two most important jobs in the organization were just down the hall.  That's convenient.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

It's nice that the two most qualified people in the world for the two most important jobs in the organization were just down the hall.  That's convenient.

the most qualified GM that doesnt mind being a secondary opinion for personnel decisions.

Much to my dismay the writing has been on the wall for the past couple of weeks. Waddell was acting every bit the GM. He gave media interviews, attended meetings, helped hire the committee and always with an air of denial that he would be the next GM. What more could you want?

His job under PK was to put the figures in line and get the best price for the sale. Mission accomplished. Whats not to like?

Yet in my mind he is the GM responsible for helping move a franchise.

You have to wish him well, at least I do,

• Like 3