The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PenaltyKiller17

Don Waddell New President and GM of Carolina Hurricanes

37 minutes ago, one-timer said:

As for people willing to become GM I don't buy that the salary OR TD's insistence that an owner can call the shots when he choses was the problem.

Anybody who doesn't get that front line managers always report to the owner (or shareholders) is either oblivious or hasn't worked long enough to have seen the truth in the old adage, "(bleep) runs downhill."

I have no problem with Waddell as GM. I have tremendous trouble with Roddy's anointment, and hope (1) it means that Vellucci was asked and said he doesn't want the job, and (2) that my concerns are baseless. It'll be interesting to see if Rod rounds out the coaching team with his old teammates. Have to think Wesley gets the D, at least.

This is just getting weird.

We thought everything would be new.  Nope.  A little retrograde action.

Now, if Rod and Glenn are behind the bench, then it is like deja vu all over again, in a kind of bizarre way.  Sort of like ending up working with your friends from high school 25 years later.

Edited by wxray1

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Cue loudmouth crybabies Jeff O'Neill and Mike Commodore begging for jobs...

Just going on a limb knowing how Brindy holds himself to the utmost standards I this it's a fair assumption he like most Canes fans thinks he's a jackwagon. Letting go of O'Neill was our Duchene move.

Commodore hated the captaincy choices/co-captaincy and Williams not even getting a letter which you say was all RF so he would be in your side of the ring? Why the friendly fire there?

TD gets a strike on this one. Bizarre happenings since the off season. Failed GM search leads to the in house guy who is far from my first choice. Today must be official inbreeding Tuesday. 

Image result for inbreeding

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Commodore hated the captaincy choices/co-captaincy and Williams not even getting a letter which you say was all RF so he would be in your side of the ring? Why the friendly fire there?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I just see Comms as a bozo who uses Twitter to stir the pot and try to stay relevant. He's already got the hair. Add a little greasepaint and a red rubber nose and nobody'd know the difference.

(But I better be careful. Mrs. Shelf has his sweater.) 

I don't like this because the arena experience has sucked for a long time, and Waddell was in charge of it.

I also don't like the optics of having the guy who moved Atlanta, never have liked him anywhere near this franchise.  As long as he is around that stupid speculation will linger, its already being said all over these forums.

If he does great, my mind can be changed.  I still hold to the opinion that we don't know crap on the inner workings of a sports franchise.  How could we, we see 25% of what goes on and infer the reasons from the end product and what they want us to see.  That's what we do, because we got nothing better to do... can't watch any damn canes playoff games to occupy our time.

Good luck, I hate this.  I really really hope to be wrong on this one.

Rem: what did you like about Waddell?  I mean, every move he seems to have made seemed to be very anti-fan.  (See many posts previous.)

But you liked his elevator talk.  Why?

TD and DW seem to be a kind of reincarnation of JR and Kid Rock. 

40 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I don't like this because the arena experience has sucked for a long time, and Waddell was in charge of it.

I

Losing for 9 years makes everything suck.

2 hours ago, rocheccw said:

Welcome to the Carolina Thrashers...How long before we start hearing moving to Quebec rumors???

Why would that be the case now? TD just bought the team. He doesn't want to move them. I'm as pessimistic as the next guy, but anyone believing those rumors (or even spreading them) is beyond dumb at this point. 

33 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Rem: what did you like about Waddell?  I mean, every move he seems to have made seemed to be very anti-fan.  (See many posts previous.)

But you liked his elevator talk.  Why?

TD and DW seem to be a kind of reincarnation of JR and Kid Rock. 

I am not a fan of this move. My posts have all reflected that. It was fun talking to Waddell for about 45 seconds, and I like that he talks to fans a lot, but I did not favor this move. I wanted us to go outside the organeyezation. I could well be wrong, but that's been my position since the day Franics was moved aside.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

I am not a fan of this move. My posts have all reflected that. It was fun talking to Waddell for about 45 seconds, and I like that he talks to fans a lot, but I did not favor this move. I wanted us to go outside the organeyezation. I could well be wrong, but that's been my position since the day Franics was moved aside.

Got it.  You liked talking to him for a few minutes and that's it.  Understood.

And I meant that DW/TD is like PK/KidRock.  Not JR.  Although that would be just as surprising.

19 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Why would that be the case now? TD just bought the team. He doesn't want to move them. I'm as pessimistic as the next guy, but anyone believing those rumors (or even spreading them) is beyond dumb at this point. 

It was a joke

5 hours ago, hag65 said:

I also don't like the optics of having the guy who moved Atlanta, never have liked him anywhere near this franchise.  As long as he is around that stupid speculation will linger, its already being said all over these forums.

If he does great, my mind can be changed.  I still hold to the opinion that we don't know crap on the inner workings of a sports franchise.  How could we, we see 25% of what goes on and infer the reasons from the end product and what they want us to see.  That's what we do, because we got nothing better to do... can't watch any damn canes playoff games to occupy our time.

Good luck, I hate this.  I really really hope to be wrong on this one.

I'm actually optimistic about the fan experience because of Dundon. What he'll bring will more than trump Wadell's history imo.  I wasn't for Waddell either, and after TD bought the Canes I posted that I thought he'd be the first to be gone.  But here's what I'm hoping now, and it's not inconsistent with what's played out since TD came on: that DW is a good lieutenant, i.e., good at carrying out his superior's orders.  Hopefully that was his role for the owners in Atlanta, and I get the feeling that PK gave the orders to minimize spending and try to maximize revenue after DW came on board with the Canes.  If TD wasn't going with the "collaborative" approach I'd be a lot more worried about Waddell; as it is I'm more guardedly cautious than pessimistic.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I wasn't for Waddell either, and after TD bought the Canes I posted that I thought he'd be the first to be gone.

Many of us shared that view.  Oh the irony.

Well, Out with the old and in with...the old! 

At least TD will not have any arguments with decisions! Waddell is his "yes" man.

TD: Jump

Waddell: How high?

Brindy: Too Slow!

Brindy, I am willing to give a shot. Two years, make it or bye-bye! 

Waddell: Well, just a greased monkey to me!

Let's Go Thras....um....CANES!

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

. It'll be interesting to see if Rod rounds out the coaching team with his old teammates. Have to think Wesley gets the D, at least.

So does that mean we'll see Ronnie too? Maybe run the PP?

Edited by hopper915

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It'll be interesting to see if Rod rounds out the coaching team with his old teammates. Have to think Wesley gets the D, at least.

26 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

So does that mean we'll see Ronnie too? Maybe run the PP?

Why not?  Heck, maybe they’ll bring in Nic Wallin for OT, Scott Walker for Fighting, Sami Kapanen for Skating.  Maybe be innovative and bring back some “anti-coaches” for how not to do it like Anton Babchuk for Blasting from the Point!  There has to be plenty of others—add some more! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Why not?  Heck, maybe they’ll bring in Nic Wallin for OT, Scott Walker for Fighting, Sami Kapanen for Skating.  Maybe be innovative and bring back some “anti-coaches” for how not to do it like Anton Babchuk for Blasting from the Point!  There has to be plenty of others—add some more! 

Chad LaRose for shots-to-logo accuracy coach!

• Like 2