The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PenaltyKiller17

Don Waddell New President and GM of Carolina Hurricanes

I also predicted the Waddell hire and am devastated that it actually happened. He didn’t just get the Thrashers moved. They were rarely relevant, and when they did make the playoffs, they never won a single game. Goalieman beat me to it. I’m afraid he’s not the GM. He’s the YM (Yes Man). And he brought in his 69 year old friend who was his assistant in Atlanta. I hope he proves me wrong. I also hope Dundon took into consideration that since the end of his tenure as Thrashers GM, no one has hired him for even close to a comparable job. My understanding was that as president of the Canes he was in charge of PNC issues and selling tickets. No responsibility for personnel decisions at all. 

Okay, trying to look for a silver lining. I think Waddell drafted Kovalchuk when he was Atlanta GM. Apparently Kovalchuk is going to hit the FA market July 1st. Might Waddell have inroads there, and is Kovalchuk even someone we would want? On a related note, maybe he does not have any anti-Russian bias so will be positive on taking Svech with the #2 pick. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

"After an extensive, no expense spared search, we have decided a couple of guys we had hanging around were the best candidates for the two most important positions in the organization"

Searches headed by Waddell, lol

No worries. We WILL make the playoffs next season. Rod will make sure all players are trim and fit for the start of the season. Darling...Put those french fries down now!!

Brindy has received plenty of support in the media.  Waddell's naming of "GM" has not.  People are bringing up his screwing up of the Thrashers time and time again. An exciting hire with promise would have gone a long way with helping to get a certain big FA's attention.  Instead we go the complete opposite.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Brindy has received plenty of support in the media.  Waddell's naming of "GM" has not.  People are bringing up his screwing up of the Thrashers time and time again. An exciting hire with promise would have gone a long way with helping to get a certain big FA's attention.  Instead we go the complete opposite.

Gotta figure inexperience on the owners part is playing into these decisions. Also, PK is still advising him, so there is that as well.

I'm warming to the Brindy decision, but I am having more trouble swallowing the Waddell decision. They just feel very different, almost opposites.

Brindy was a winner on the ice with a winning history as a player, who was right up front about wanting the job. Waddell has no wining history to speak of, was brought here for business reasons, and adamantly declared he was not in the running for the job. The announcement of Waddell was slipped in with the megaphone announcement of Briny as coach.

The problem with Waddell is not only the whole Atlanta "moving to Winnepeg" thing, but his record as a GM (with the same assistant they just brought in (Rick Dudley). These guys ran Atlanta and produced one playoff appearance in 9 years. (OK bettter than none, but not a high bar). I now (slowly) realize that Waddell was the man when the announcement of  the decision to bring in Rick Dudley was made. Rick Dudley has no particular history of success either. I get that they had that experience with a small market, budget team, but didn't they sort of spectacularly fail at it?

The way it looks is that Tom Dundon found two guys very long on NHL experience, and very short on actual NHL success. I am not a billionaire business mogul, heck, I didn't even get the GM job, but that just does not seem like the recipe for massive success to me. These guys (especially Dudly) have been around literally forever with very little to show for it. And the fact that Dudly has repeatedly shown a big affinity for trading down in the draft  :facepalm2:.....I just can't help but remain unsettled about the way upper management is shaping up.

I have a secret hope that there is a long term plan. Let the heat come off the way this GM thing was handled, or at least portrayed by officially ending the search. Then, in a bit, when things have settled, put some feelers back out there and try for a real GM.

I can live with Waddell-Dudly (yeah, what choice do I have really) if they do two things absolutely; 1. Find a goalie 2. Do NOT trade our draft pick: pick Svech. If they do those two things, it will be hard to mess things up too much. Finally, if this new committee starts making some really nice moves, I for one am ready to come on board. But right now I am very nervously standing at the dock.

I don't want to appear as taking up for Waddell but forming an opinion based on what happened 20 years ago with the Thrashers and that ownership group and applying that to a potential outcome today seems shallow to me. 

As a Canes fan, I like the man, and admittedly, only based on my conversations with him.  He's is always around, and is very approachable and genuine when you speak with him.  I realize that won't make him a good GM, or help the team win, but at least he's a decent person that cares.  I hope he can keep Dundon in check when it's a good time to do so.  That is worth something. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I hope he can keep Dundon in check when it's a good time to do so.  That is worth something. 

TD actually said exactly this!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Check out Instagram.  Svech follows the Canes.  Social media says not happening.

And if it somehow does, pull a Nordiques... they still made out quite well in that deal.

I like Waddell too. Don't want to fire him. I love that he is out among the people. I think that is excellent for a guy in charge of the business and fan experience. And having his voice on the committee is good. I'd have just preferred he stayed President and we got another outside voice from a winning tradition in as GM. I'll give him every chance though, and I truly hope he succeeds because losing got old a long time ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, remkin said:

I truly hope he succeeds because losing got old a long time ago.

More of the "fans" need to reflect on this.

• Like 2

Atlanta losing the Thrashers was not Waddell’s fault, or at most, he bears only a little blame. After all, Atlanta lost the Flames from lack of fan interest too. What concerns me is 9 years with one playoff appearance (swept in the first round) and bringing in his same buddy to assist him here. I think it’s clear Dundon wants a GM as a consultant, not a final decision maker, and he has found Waddell to his liking in that capacity. It would not have been my choice but I didn’t just pay $300 million for 60% of the team. Now I want to see if Dundon gives Waddell the financial resources that Francis never had. That may determine Waddell’s success as much as anything.

• Like 2

Heard speculation on XM today that Mark Hunter, Assistant GM in Toronto, who was passed over for GM by that high school kid, might be looking to leave and the two spots theorized for him: #2 Minnestota, #1 Carolina.

The point was that despite the naming of Waddell, we might still be looking.

I went back and listened to the presser and I think TD pushed Waddell to officially accept the GM position. His comment about the #2 pick, was in response to someone asking "Has anything changed?" And it was delivered in a glib Smart*** kind of way. Reading between the lines of his words and body language, I think he didn't want to be GM with his existing responsibilities. I think TD pushed him to take both, A) he is already doing it and B) TD seems very comfortable with working with Waddell. TD made several comments about being more comfortable with knowing the person than interviewing the candidate. If they like Hunter I could easily see them bringing him in as Assistant GM to see how he fits with the program.

Despite his lack of hockey experience, Dundon seems determined to act as his own GM with a committee led by Waddell advising him. It might work, but I can imagine it will be hard to get other GMs and free agents to take us seriously. Francis may have made mistakes, but when you get the #4 scorer of all time on the phone, you figure he knows something about hockey. I still believe he was hamstrung by PK, and blew his chance to show the new owner he had the stones to make a bold move once the shackles were off. Also, he may have chafed at having to work for an activist owner. But that’s the past, so we’ll see how things go. I’m hopeful, but a little worried.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Despite his lack of hockey experience, Dundon seems determined to act as his own GM with a committee led by Waddell advising him. It might work, but I can imagine it will be hard to get other GMs and free agents to take us seriously. Francis may have made mistakes, but when you get the #4 scorer of all time on the phone, you figure he knows something about hockey. I still believe he was hamstrung by PK, and blew his chance to show the new owner he had the stones to make a bold move once the shackles were off. Also, he may have chafed at having to work for an activist owner. But that’s the past, so we’ll see how things go. I’m hopeful, but a little worried.

I'm more hopeful than worried. I think Dundon is going to be an information-driven owner who gathers it from people he trusts, enabling him to can handle steep learning curves. 

"Und given his childhoot," Dr. Freud posited, "he could zee Vaddell as a fadder figure, an older mentor mit generaaaazinal knowlich of zee League, to help guiding him up zee heeeel, yes?"

2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Well, here's one potential positive:  that committee will also include the full input of Brindy, the assistant coaches, scouts, etc.  I have a feeling that if RFs decisions had been informed a bit more by the coaches, he probably would have been more proactive.  Only time will tell. 

A new committee member; We're gonna need a bigger table

• Like 1