The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PenaltyKiller17

Don Waddell New President and GM of Carolina Hurricanes

Could we hire someone from an organization that finished in the top 25 last year? Dudley from Montreal (27th in the market with the biggest budget in the league) and now this guy, recently of the #30 team in the league. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Could we hire someone from an organization that finished in the top 25 last year? Dudley from Montreal (27th in the market with the biggest budget in the league) and now this guy, recently of the #30 team in the league. 

Those guys don't seem to want to join our committee.

But in all seriousness, I am much more excited about this guy than Dudley. He is behind some interesting new stats. I'm hoping that Dudley is there more to smooth things out with some old boy connections and not actually making any decisions. I guess with Dudley and this guy you get some real variation in perspective though, which may be what Dundon is going for.

That said, I totally get your point about getting some input from someone with proven success.

How do you quantify success when these hires are only one person in a multi-staffed hockey club?  Conversely, does hiring someone from a successful club automatically result in positive results?  I'm not following the logic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

How do you quantify success when these hires are only one person in a multi-staffed hockey club?  Conversely, does hiring someone from a successful club automatically result in positive results?  I'm not following the logic.

I admit I know nothing about what he brings to the table. But I think in any sport, when you hire an assistant to coach or manage, you look first to someone who was with a very successful team. How many Dean Smith/Coach K assistants have landed head coaching gigs? Now compare to the number of Herb Sendek assistants. Not all of Dean and K’s guys have succeeded, but those are guys most likely to get a chance. And for good reason. 

24 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

But I think in any sport, when you hire an assistant to coach or manage, you look first to someone who was with a very successful team.

I gotcha.  I'm more inclined to look at the specifics of what each of the non-GM hires brings to the [big] table, rather than the club they came from, while also considering what Dundon is trying to put together.  I'm still hoping the management "team" can change some things to the positive.

I think anybody that gets to this level, and who has been on a management career path (versus former players who have management jobs handed to them...), has strong ideas about what it takes to succeed. Judging an assistant based on their former team's performance discounts the limits placed on them by their superiors in that org, let alone any long-term issues of culture and structure which they likely had nothing to do with creating. 

In any traditional management structure, there's a pecking order. What I like so far about Dundon is that he's turning that on its head by assuring everyone's voice is heard. That should translate into the group making and having a vested interest in the success of decisions which are based on ideas about which there is broad agreement. That's the diametric opposite of edicts being handed down by one "top guy."

Someone posted Eric Tulsky's comment about everyone chiming in, in the same room, now--versus RF talking to guys individually and then making a decision. That's a really big deal, because it assures that everyone buys in and pulls in the same direction. Just as the players must buy in to succeed, I think TD is "coaching" the management team toward the same goal.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Someone posted Eric Tulsky's comment about everyone chiming in, in the same room, now--versus RF talking to guys individually and then making a decision. That's a really big deal, because it assures that everyone buys in and pulls in the same direction.

This.  Plus the fact RF could have listened to every guy individually and every guy could have said the exact same thing - only for RF to disagree with all of them and go in the exact opposite direction.  Not saying that happened, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did.

• Like 1

Maybe what's really going on in the management team approach is Dundon has seen the unimagined success that Vegas has with what appears to be castoffs from other teams, and their finding common ground it appears in that feeling of wanting to prove all wrong. Now, he's replicating that same atmosphere in his group? Haha, I know it sounds preposterous, but you never know with TD?

Edited by KJUNKANE

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Maybe what's really going on in the management team approach is Dundon has seen the unimagined success that Vegas has with what appears to be castoffs from other teams, and their finding common ground it appears in that feeling of wanting to prove all wrong. Now, he's replicating that same atmosphere in his group? Haha, I know it sounds preposterous, but you never know with TD?

John Forslund was on XM this morning and actually said that the Canes '05-'06 team reminds him a lot like Vegas because of exactly what you mention.  He also said the Canes pounced on some good breaks (BUF defense corps depletion, EDM Rollie the goalie going down).

As for the Canes, he didn't have time to say much.  What he said was that Dundon is definitely trying something new with a collaborative group.  He also said that "We'll see soon, because most of this has to be resolved by early July since most teams are primarily set by then."  Maybe he was giving the committee a hint to get going.  :)

As for Chuck K., he said he is a dear friend and hopes he is treated well, and has hopes that something is worked out the next few weeks.

the way i see it with don waddell is that he is a yes man right now for who brind'amour wants to keep or get rid of right now .  im not expecting him to do what he did in atlanta  for the canes even though he so happens to have gm to his name .   i still think  the canes are looks for a real permanent gm , dundon just wants someone that will come and answer to dundon till then .   anything is possible from here on out but thats just my two cents .