The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Kaiton on the chopping block?

Chuck Kaiton's future with Carolina Hurricanes uncertain as team explores radio options

Chuck Kaiton's future with the Carolina Hurricanes is uncertain with his contract set to expire next month and the team exploring other options for the radio broadcast.

Sounds like TD doesn't think the radio broadcast is worth what Kaiton wants to be paid and frankly I agree. How many people really listen on the radio anymore? Worth paying a Chuck Kaiton what Chuck Kaiton wants numbers? I don't think so....you could bring in a cheap guy and he'd likely maintain the same dwindling radio numbers. Better yet as the article says just simulcast Forslund across both platforms, I put on NHL TV on my phone in the car just to avoid Kaiton this year.

• Like 1

It looks like some options are still open including Chuck K returns or simulcasting the TV broadcast like they do in Texas

As much as I like Chuck, I’d rather listen to the John/Tripp simulcast...works well in Dallas with Craig Ludwig and Darryl Reaugh 

Anyone watch Brockmire?  A la the season 2 plot line, I wonder if Canes might be considering going from a traditional old sports expert (Brockmire) to a young, media savvy but sports lightweight replacement (Raj).

Btw, Brockmire is hilarious if you're ok with raw, crude, sexually explicit humor.  Definitely not one to watch with the kids, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

Well, I thought Forslund was A status.  He is A- or B+ since he is not the other team for the conference finals.  Just sayin'...  I expect Forslund to go fully national, but not just yet, and it may be a game a week kind of thing first.

Chuck is unique, but things change.  

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

It looks like some options are still open including Chuck K returns or simulcasting the TV broadcast like they do in Texas

I can't believe all teams haven't moved to complete control (ownership and distribution) of the audio for their events, if only to drive traffic to their websites. It's cheap, the technology is easy, and terrestrial radio is largely dead (which truly pains this old radio guy to say). Put it on the website, sell ads. In bad years you make nothing but don't lose either. In good years, you make money.

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Sounds like TD doesn't think the radio broadcast is worth what Kaiton wants to be paid and frankly I agree. How many people really listen on the radio anymore? Worth paying a Chuck Kaiton what Chuck Kaiton wants numbers? I don't think so....you could bring in a cheap guy and he'd likely maintain the same dwindling radio numbers. Better yet as the article says just simulcast Forslund across both platforms, I put on NHL TV on my phone in the car just to avoid Kaiton this year.

Yea. I get that Chuck is a God to many, but once you've genuflected to Gene Hart, pretty much everybody else sounds like they're still trying to figure it out.

I'm in Chuck's camp.  I like the differences between a radio call and a TV call.  He may be old school but a different perspective, including historical perspective is good IMHO.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I'm in Chuck's camp.  I like the differences between a radio call and a TV call.  He may be old school but a different perspective, including historical perspective is good IMHO.

I've got no problem with his old-schoolness or historical POV (although he really needs to let go of the red line... it's not coming back). What bothers me is that he just stops doing play-by-play sometimes, goes off on a tangent, then suddenly he's saying, "...and they score!" Who scores? How did they score? WHAT THE H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICKS JUST HAPPENED, WHILE YOU WERE ON MEMORY LANE WITH GORDIE FREAKIN' HOWE, CHUCK?!

Giving Maniscalco the color slot would assure Chuck focuses on the call, but if the simulcast conjecture is right, it sounds like a cost/value decision. Those seldom result in adding positions/salary.

I haven't enjoyed Kranky-Kaiton of late.   Sorry about the two line pass, Chuck.  I thought a little balance, as in a color guy, improves him.  We've had some examples of that.

Clearly TD doesn't want to go there.  So, it looks like a different change is coming.

I'm not pointing fingers here, so hear me out for a second, because I'm just like everyone else here.  But what I'm seeing on these threads is this:

"Dundon is changing stuff.  Change is awesome!  We need change!  BUT NOT THAT!!!!"

I think this next year is going to both hurt and thrill.  A lot of stuff is going away.  New stuff will come in.  It will be a hell of a ride.

... Now, I wonder if the Storm Squad is going to be replaced by a drumline.  Hmmm....

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I don’t own a television, so I listen to games on the radio.

Yes,

I can't even tell you how often I thought " We need to promote Don Waddell and get rid of Chuck Kaiton and THEN we will have a good hockey team."

This seems like after sitting in a Bus that's broken, you get up and change seats and tell yourself your in control and you accomplished something.

I'll go back to watching Ice Cream melt.

• Like 1

Rather than put Chuck out to pasture, or whatever the powers to be want to do, I wish they'd do 2 things. the 1st has been a constant complaint of mine,  for oh,  just about forever. Not sure how many this affects, but surely it has to be broad, for many east of I 95. Please someone increase the signal strength of 99.9 The Fan. It is so frustrating to move east of that divide, only to have some station in Wilmington bleeding it and lose the latter part of that program as I travel home from games. Or to the contrary, try to pickup away games on radio. The powers to be seemed to solve the problem several years ago, but don't know what happened just recently? Maybe the Wilmington station up and increased their signal strength, IDK, but just wished the problem would resolve.

The other wish, is I'd like someone to  replace that Patrick whoever with a presence not quite so defensive and utterly offensive in his condescension. I realize that seasons like we've had for several years make it hard to tie a bow around a pig's tail, but come on, Mike Maniscalco always found a way to glean a little positive from the oft dismal performances. Come to think of it, put Mike back at that spot if he would take it. 

As for Chuck, meh.   

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Rather than put Chuck out to pasture, or whatever the powers to be want to do, I wish they'd do 2 things. the 1st has been a constant complaint of mine,  for oh,  just about forever. Not sure how many this affects, but surely it has to be broad, for many east of I 95. Please someone increase the signal strength of 99.9 The Fan. It is so frustrating to move east of that divide, only to have some station in Wilmington bleeding it and lose the latter part of that program as I travel home from games. Or to the contrary, try to pickup away games on radio. The powers to be seemed to solve the problem several years ago, but don't know what happened just recently? Maybe the Wilmington station up and increased their signal strength, IDK, but just wished the problem would resolve.

Or even better, add another freaking station or two.  If the intent is to be a 'regional' team (which calling themselves Carolina instead of Raleigh would imply), then why can only those within an hour or so or Raleigh listen on terrestrial radio (it's not much better going west than it is going east)?  That's perhaps the main reason i don't fret too much over possibly losing Kaiton - i was in Goldsboro (east of I-95) and then moved to Greensboro (west of 99.9's signal), and now i'm in Charlotte, so i've never been able to listen to him call games anyway.

Radio is still important for mobile people and for a presence on national radio like XM.  People out there listen.

Locally, I think the before and after shows are more important.  I don't think that is Chuck's thing.  Too bad, he could be like Espo, telling people to go to hell or that they are full of sh...   The current situation for the before and after-show is a disaster.  That needs to change.

As much as I dislike Dave Mishkin, I have to say that the Mishkin-Espo combo on radio for the Lightning hits a nerve among the audience.  Apparently the kids like screamers like Mishkin, and the old codgers like Espo for telling it like it is.

I'm not sure Chuck would ever agree to do color.  And even so, sounds like TD wouldn't pay for it anyway.

Not a big fan of hockey on the radio so my response is biased.  Hockey on the radio with Chuck K. doesn't do it for me.  Sometimes you just have to let it go Chuck and understand the game is going to evolve, regardless.  Like Top, I get frustrated when he goes off on tangents during the live action for 5 minutes.  I think radio still has a place, but I prefer the simulcast alternative.

13 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I think this next year is going to both hurt and thrill.  A lot of stuff is going away.  New stuff will come in.  It will be a hell of a ride. 

I am ready for a Ride.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:59 PM, LakeLivin said:

Anyone watch Brockmire?  A la the season 2 plot line, I wonder if Canes might be considering going from a traditional old sports expert (Brockmire) to a young, media savvy but sports lightweight replacement (Raj).

Btw, Brockmire is hilarious if you're ok with raw, crude, sexually explicit humor.  Definitely not one to watch with the kids, lol. 

Brockmire is must see TV, but as Lake said, it isn't for the kiddies.

22 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Not a big fan of hockey on the radio so my response is biased.  Hockey on the radio with Chuck K. doesn't do it for me.  Sometimes you just have to let it go Chuck and understand the game is going to evolve, regardless.  Like Top, I get frustrated when he goes off on tangents during the live action for 5 minutes.  I think radio still has a place, but I prefer the simulcast alternative.

Exactly!

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

More penny pinching it seems.  I hope this owner will spend some money on players.

Why don't you kick in 20 or 30 million, Fat Stacks?:D