The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Kaiton on the chopping block?

I don't have a clue about the economics of the radio broadcast.  With changing technology, a fan base that is more and more tech savvy, and the general aging out of people that watch hockey on the radio, I'm just not sure how effective a radio broadcast is.  Chuck is kind of everybody's grumpy uncle.  He's had a great run, but I don't know if radio even makes sense financially these days when most people that care are going to watch it on a streaming device when they don't have TV available.

• Like 1

I've never gotten sports on the radio after the invention of television. To me it's a bit like listening to someone describe a piece of art on the radio. And to me hockey is the most difficult game to do play by play for since it is so fast and fluid. I have never listened to even a full period of hockey on the radio that I can recall. If there's a Canes game on that I'm not at, I'm DVR'ing that thing and watching it later.

But that's me. I must confess I'm a bit surprised by the reaction on our boards to this Kaiton thing. I can recall years ago when Tripp was getting a lot of heat on here, and people said they'd mute there TV and listen to Chuck. I'm not debating the merits or criticizing the opinions, just registering a bit of surprise. I had always thought he was beloved.

I will throw down one little random thought. Ever notice how guys like Chuck and John Forslund are almost always introduced if someone else is interviewing them? The "great" John Forslund, "best in the business", and "Hall of Fame voice of the Hurricanes Chuck Kaiton". Not that they don't deserve it, just, outside of the Queen of England and the Pope, not many people get that deference. So potentially dumping Hall of Fame Chuck Kaiton? No owner would get rid of a Hall of Fam....oh wait, never mind.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Why don't you kick in 20 or 30 million, Fat Stacks?:D

I am trying to be optimistic.  I know JT is a pipe dream.  I just hope TD forks out some money on a goalie and another top 6 forward.  Maybe a 2nd pairing d men not sure about that one though.  I guess this all depends on if Svech is a dynamic impact now forward that can hit the ground running.

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

I've never gotten sports on the radio after the invention of television. To me it's a bit like listening to someone describe a piece of art on the radio. And to me hockey is the most difficult game to do play by play for since it is so fast and fluid. I have never listened to even a full period of hockey on the radio that I can recall. If there's a Canes game on that I'm not at, I'm DVR'ing that thing and watching it later.

But that's me. I must confess I'm a bit surprised by the reaction on our boards to this Kaiton thing. I can recall years ago when Tripp was getting a lot of heat on here, and people said they'd mute there TV and listen to Chuck. I'm not debating the merits or criticizing the opinions, just registering a bit of surprise. I had always thought he was beloved.

I will throw down one little random thought. Ever notice how guys like Chuck and John Forslund are almost always introduced if someone else is interviewing them? The "great" John Forslund, "best in the business", and "Hall of Fame voice of the Hurricanes Chuck Kaiton". Not that they don't deserve it, just, outside of the Queen of England and the Pope, not many people get that deference. So potentially dumping Hall of Fame Chuck Kaiton? No owner would get rid of a Hall of Fam....oh wait, never mind.

It's only advantage is for when you're driving.  Not sure that scales with the Canes fan base.

Just now, bluedevil58 said:

It's only advantage is for when you're driving.  Not sure that scales with the Canes fan base.

Not for me. If I'm driving around locally, I've got the game on DVR when I get home. If I'm driving far away, it's not on. Again, though, that's just me. For me the time to do it would be with the extended family gathered around the old radio. But then most of my extending family could care less about hockey, and then again, we own a TV.

Well at least for me, I hope we keep Chuck and keep the radio. The few times I do hear him I like him and it's not my money.

50 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

So typical, these posts.

"Hey, it works for me, so it should work for you, too."

That's what all us non-Raleighites say about the Canes only broadcasting on a Raleigh station.  ?

16 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

That's what all us non-Raleighites say about the Canes only broadcasting on a Raleigh station.  ?

Well, insofar as Chuck coming back or not, I'm 50-50, truly. I do enjoy his call, for the most part. He is a Hall of Famer, sort of. That said, his digressions can drive one mad, and his obsession with the red line or lack of same is reaching pathological levels. If he doesn't come back, I'd miss his call, but time marches on.

The larger question, to me, is about broadcasting in general. I understand that terrestrial radio is dying (what media isn't dying, what with the internet? Movies, I guess, if you like superhero franchises), and an organ-eye-zation has to get the best return on investment that it can on everything they control. On the other hand, I believe that it's possible to reach every person who wants to be a fan without the organ-eye-zation going broke.

I wouldn't be averse to a simulcast of the audio of the TV feed, if it stays true to a decent radio call and actually describes the action. It makes no sense to me for the talking heads in the broadcast booth to go off for five minutes or more with the color analyst regaling his co-workers with a story about his career as a player or the place he had dinner the night before. In football or baseball, that's not uncommon because it is assumed that viewers are familiar enough with the sport to make sense out of what's happening without the broadcasters describing it in detail. In hockey, thankfully, that's not as common, based on the few TV feeds I've listened to lately.

I know it's not exactly the same, but the Indy 500 still can put together a nice network of radio stations for a once-a-year event. Why aren't other sports still trying to do the same? Is it that they see that 99% of their ticket sales are from the local area, so they're willing to give up on that last 1% of potential fans on the grounds of "decreasing returns"? Is the "guaranteed" money from TV contracts, etc., making the teams so comfortable that they don't have to scrap for that last fan? Is the lure of TV money turning teams and leagues toward paying more attention to the TV viewers and less to the ticket-buying fans?

1 hour ago, JonKerfoot said:

I know it's not exactly the same, but the Indy 500 still can put together a nice network of radio stations for a once-a-year event. Why aren't other sports still trying to do the same? Is it that they see that 99% of their ticket sales are from the local area, so they're willing to give up on that last 1% of potential fans on the grounds of "decreasing returns"? Is the "guaranteed" money from TV contracts, etc., making the teams so comfortable that they don't have to scrap for that last fan? Is the lure of TV money turning teams and leagues toward paying more attention to the TV viewers and less to the ticket-buying fans?

I dunno, JonKerfoot.  Hockey is tough on radio, but it can have its moments.  I was on the road traveling to Illinois to see my dying father, and I listened to the infamous US/Russia game on the Olympics.  The announcers did such a great job of describing the indefatigable Oshie during the shootout.  It was memorable.

I listened to quite a bit of the Indy 500 yesterday and enjoyed the radio broadcast.  They have freshened it up with the fast cuts and other techniques to keep it interesting.  Actually, I don't know how they did it, it was a production marvel, switching between the ontrack reporters one by one on the final lap. 

And, well, that's where I have a problem with the Cane's one man approach, the last in hockey.  Chuck benefits from color.  I'm not sure why it isn't there (with a few exceptions).  Is it him?  Is it the budget?  I dunno.

One thing is for sure.  Times are changing fast and Dundon knows this.  Don't be surprised to see the "radio" feed go to an all on-line approach.

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Actually, I don't know how they did it, it was a production marvel, switching between the ontrack reporters one by one on the final lap.

Believe it or not, they've been doing that for a long, long time. I broke into radio in 1979 and worked at a member station of the Indy network. If I had to guess, the audio portions of that broadcast are produced on the same equipment that's been hardwired at the Brickyard for decades, and their biggest challenge is converting the feed to digital for distribution.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Believe it or not, they've been doing that for a long, long time. I broke into radio in 1979 and worked at a member station of the Indy network. If I had to guess, the audio portions of that broadcast are produced on the same equipment that's been hardwired at the Brickyard for decades, and their biggest challenge is converting the feed to digital for distribution.

Yeah, you are right. Probably why I actually reach for the radio for the Indy... that and Memorial day weekend is traditionally when I work in the yard.

I do have to admit, though, that the multiple in-car cameras have come along far enough in quality now to really enhance the experience.  For years, it was a gimmick.  Yesterday, on my water breaks, I watched a bit of TV.  Yikes, some of the 3 across passing as seen from the in-car video was just crazy good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Radio for Indy?

He turned left.  He turned left.  He turned left.  He turned left.

Exciting

Then there was the other play that went "She turned left.  She turned left.  She spun out."

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Radio for Indy?

He turned left.  He turned left.  He turned left.  He turned left.

Exciting

No, it's exciting when they turn right! :P

Just now, realmdrakkar said:

Then there was the other play that went "She turned left.  She turned left.  She spun out."

Yep.  

I used to watch every minute of the Indy 500.  Back in the day of the Johnny Rutherford, the Unsers, Mario, Gordon Johncock, Rick Mears, etc. it was exciting.  Now, it's not the cream of the crop guys that everybody knows.  The race wasn't very competitive anyway.  

I'm still a big Formula 1 fan.  Monaco was as boring as usual yesterday.  I did watch all of that.  The city streets of Monaco don't allow for much passing, and the top 5 cars finished just as they started without a single lead change.  Yawn.  The Canadian GP is next and should be much more enjoyable.  Monaco and Spain are really hard to watch.

NASCAR...I don't waste my time any more.  It has become unwatchable.

Y'all are missing the point, as usual ?

It's still possible to put together a network of terrestrial radio stations, apparently. Why can't NHL teams? Too worried about people not buying tickets to the game? I'm 1300 miles away, I can't just buy a game ticket anytime I want. Do the Hurricanes only want local fans? I guess I could switch my allegiance to the Stars or the Blues, or just be content with Tulsa Oilers tickets....

5 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Y'all are missing the point, as usual ?

It's still possible to put together a network of terrestrial radio stations, apparently. Why can't NHL teams? Too worried about people not buying tickets to the game? I'm 1300 miles away, I can't just buy a game ticket anytime I want. Do the Hurricanes only want local fans? I guess I could switch my allegiance to the Stars or the Blues, or just be content with Tulsa Oilers tickets....

What's the point of an old-school radio network when you can stream it online from the only station with exclusive rights?

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

What's the point of an old-school radio network when you can stream it online from the only station with exclusive rights?

I dunno, top, maybe the fact that 1/3 of the people in the USA don't have access to internet that's fast enough to allow streaming?

24 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

I guess I could switch my allegiance to  also become a fan of the Stars or the Blues,

Works for me down here in Norman. ;)

11 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

I dunno, top, maybe the fact that 1/3 of the people in the USA don't have access to internet that's fast enough to allow streaming?

Do I detect an air of sarcasm? :D

I get your frustration at the NHL not taking charge to make free audio of all team's games ubiquitous, but in a world (and especially with teams) where few listen on radio even in the home market, I can understand why the financials of setting up free audio are not attractive to the league. It can make a lot more money on its cut from Sirius than it is likely to see from the ad revenue needed to support free, out-of-market audio access. Like the Brickyard has had the infrastructure in place - for years - to create the audio and let others worry about selling and distributing it, so too does the NHL, with Hockey Night in Canada Radio.

It absolutely sucks that people without Sirius or fast-enough Internet cannot get the call. But from a purely business point of view, I understand the league's prerogative of having fans of teams in non-traditional locales, who live out of those teams' markets, pony up. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
extraneous word

On 5/29/2018 at 7:11 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

Do I detect an air of sarcasm? :D

I get your frustration at the NHL not taking charge to make free audio of all team's games ubiquitous, but in a world (and especially with teams) where few listen on radio even in the home market, I can understand why the financials of setting up free audio are not attractive to the league. It can make a lot more money on its cut from Sirius than it is likely to see from the ad revenue needed to support free, out-of-market audio access. Like the Brickyard has had the infrastructure in place - for years - to create the audio and let others worry about selling and distributing it, so too does the NHL, with Hockey Night in Canada Radio.

It absolutely sucks that people without Sirius or fast-enough Internet cannot get the call. But from a purely business point of view, I understand the league's prerogative of having fans of teams in non-traditional locales, who live out of those teams' markets, pony up. 

No, Top, not sarcasm at all. Given the fact that I had to wait a couple of days for the forums to come back so I could even see if you'd responded, I am surprised that you even asked the question. Thanks, internet, for proving a point. ;-)

I did some poking around on the internet, and it is pretty clear that there are states in the Deep South where even dialup is a dream in some rural areas. Not having plain ol' radio (kinda like POTS - plain ol' telephone system) means they're not being reached. It's unfortunate.

I agree, really, that there's a financial factor to this, and it will, pardon the pun, trump all others. It always does. It's unfortunate.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 10:16 PM, AWACSooner said:

Works for me down here in Norman. ;)

I know you're just trying to get rid of me, AWAC. ?

Won't work, unfortunately. ?

(Have I made it clear enough that I'm teasing?)

11 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

I know you're just trying to get rid of me, AWAC. ?

Won't work, unfortunately. ?

(Have I made it clear enough that I'm teasing?)

No...and now I’m an offended snowflake ;)

So the argument about radio is now how the under-internetted are being left out?  Bottom line is (just like everything else) dollars and cents.  If it made financial sense, Canes games would be broadcast to TVs nationwide.  Since it only makes sense to do it in a local area, it only gets that treatment.