The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Kaiton on the chopping block?

11 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

So the argument about radio is now how the under-internetted are being left out?  Bottom line is (just like everything else) dollars and cents.  If it made financial sense, Canes games would be broadcast to TVs nationwide.  Since it only makes sense to do it in a local area, it only gets that treatment. 

Yeah, s_d, I acknowledged as much in my reply to top.

I still think it's kind of unfortunate. Here's a team that was near the bottom (if not at it) in attendance last season, a team that has had a history of drawing better than that when moderately successful, and their explorations of the media marketplace are half-hearted at best.

I understand that the best thing is to have a sell-out for every home game - that actually encourages attention to the TV broadcasts (and maybe even radio, I don't know for sure) and helps push the team closer to the national eye. That hasn't happened in, oh, I'd say several years, so IMO the team can either try to attract more fans any way they can or, dare I say, contract....

Depending on who you ask, the Hurricanes only have somewhere between 500 and 2,000 people listening to the radio broadcast on any given night. It's cheaper to buy all those people partial season tickets than it is to pay Kaiton and subsidize a broadcast that loses money for the team.

From the article Coastal posted in another thread.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article212962139.html

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Anyone know what Kaiton makes? Is it public? Did I miss it somewhere? 

I have researched it and found 'ball park' figures but nothing definitive but, he has been with them for 30+years. He is a legend!

I wish Dundon would start giving Chip public crap for his lack of effort. Luke and Chip's tweets are side by side, Chip's is uninformative and no article. Luke's has a bit of info in his tweet with a link to article.

• Like 2

the regular listeners are really upset on twitter. all 2000 of them. To really show how the good ole boy system runs in this league, the garbage Sabres fans are trying to throw shade at us for not keeping Chuck.  I get that Chuck is a HOF and been with the team almost 40 years.  Still the show doesnt get the ad sales and lacks regular listeners.  

The radio show has 6 figure losses with only 2000 regular listeners.  Why keep it going when you can lessen the amount of red by removing the infrastructure and lowering payroll by simulcasting?  

It would be cool if Chuck stayed on to be an ambassador to the team or to the sport in NC (top build more local ties and drive up attendance).  I dont know that Chuck is interested in that.

I'd be very interested to hear the average number of listeners at the end of this year because I would absolutely tune into a simulcast over Kaiton.

Edited by legend-1

:kleenex:

Chuck's radio was pretty much my Canes life. This is so heartbreaking.   

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I wish Dundon would start giving Chip public crap for his lack of effort. Luke and Chip's tweets are side by side, Chip's is uninformative and no article. Luke's has a bit of info in his tweet with a link to article.

I've often wondered how close Chip is to retirement. Then, I realize he's already quit.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

the regular listeners are really upset on twitter. all 2000 of them. To really show how the good ole boy system runs in this league, the garbage Sabres fans are trying to throw shade at us for not keeping Chuck.  I get that Chuck is a HOF and been with the team almost 40 years.  Still the show doesnt get the ad sales and lacks regular listeners.  

The radio show has 6 figure losses with only 2000 regular listeners.  Why keep it going when you can lessen the amount of red by removing the infrastructure and lowering payroll by simulcasting?  

It would be cool if Chuck stayed on to be an ambassador to the team or to the sport in NC (top build more local ties and drive up attendance).  I dont know that Chuck is interested in that.

I agree with all this, and I came up in radio. I love the medium. But pro sports and radio have something in common: Both are struggling, and this case pro sports holds the pursestrings, so radio loses.

It sounds like the Seattle job would be perfect for Chuck as he nears retirement, with his son in the area. Here's hoping he gets it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Sad, sad day for the Hurricanes. He kept my interest when I listened to the games over the radio. So much better than Chip! Hate to see him go but good luck to him in his future endeavors.

If your in the Hall of Fame pack your bag because your not staying in Carolina. There are all kinds of reasons to cut the radio broadcast. Declining ad sales, declining listenership and the economics of using a simulcast. The only reason to keep Chuck K is tradition and a sense of place. With Dundon history doesn't seem to count.

• Like 1

Even Fred Flintstone had a tv, folks.

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.e94ab2244725c4f10957eee6d2e54de8.JPG

Chuck K has been a great ambassador for the team, but times change.  When you start blaming Dundon for not paying Kaiton, remember there are other expenses to creating a radio broadcast.  Financially, radio had to be a losing proposition.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, OBXer said:

If your in the Hall of Fame pack your bag because your not staying in Carolina. There are all kinds of reasons to cut the radio broadcast. Declining ad sales, declining listenership and the economics of using a simulcast. The only reason to keep Chuck K is tradition and a sense of place. With Dundon history doesn't seem to count.

Dundon can't win. He says he'll honor the Whale and people worry that he'll honor it too much. He asks Chuck to sell some ads to offset the cost of paying him, Chuck refuses--and it's TD kicking history to the curb.

Let's say Chuck was offered $100k; I think that's a very safe assumption. I think we can also safely assume that the 2,000 listeners are pretty much the same people consistently.

Get those fans to ONE GAME (figure conservatively, at $50 each) and you've turned a $100k loss into a $200k gain. And they'll still have game audio to enjoy as they pee, whether in a PNC restroom or in their own, at home.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

The only reason to keep Chuck K is tradition and a sense of place. With Dundon history doesn't seem to count. 

And neither does the Whalers Legacy

As long as something is on the radio, I'm OK.  Sorry to see him go, sort of.  The last few years he got on my nerves. 

As for TD: your changes better bring results, sir.  If they do, none of this will matter.  If they don't, there will be moving trucks available to help you move.  French lessons included.

Waddell - After a series of discussions with Chuck and his representation throughout the summer, Chuck informed us today that he will not be returning as our radio broadcaster

Really.  So the New Canes don't fire anyone they just force you out and then spin it as if they decided to leave.  I hope the team on the ice shows more guts than our new management committee.

• Like 2

Best wishes to Chuck!  I think this is a business decision that obviously is especially tough because it is Chuck Kaiton Hall of Fame Broadcaster with all those years with the franchise.  More teams will be going the TV simulcast route on radio in the coming years though.

Maybe for the radio audiance, Forslund can break into his great Chuck Kaiton impression from time to time...!!! ?

• Like 1