The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Kaiton on the chopping block?

10 hours ago, cc said:

Never said you werent.  I was just expressing my opinion that there is nothing new here.

Everyone here should express their opinions. In a civil way. Without insults. Differing perspectives are a lot of what makes following the Canes on the board fun.

In the scheme of things, Chuck being gone is not going to matter to the success of the team. It would have been nice if he and Dundon could have found a middle ground to give Chuck one last victory lap season. We’ll never know if that not happening was more on Chuck than Dundon. But as someone above stated, we have not been sending off our legends with a lot of fanfare. Maybe Rod should watch out. Of course if the team does poorly, he surely doesn’t have any illusions about the outcome for him. Get ‘er done, Rod. We need to have someone around whose number is in the rafters.

Fans..."We need change.  We've been losing, like forever.  Everything should be on the table.  Nobody is safe"

Owner..."I'm changing this"

Fans..."For God's sake, you can't change that"

Owner..."Well, this is losing me money, and isn't helping build anything"

Fans..."Well, you're just cheap"

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

We’ll never know if that not happening was more on Chuck than Dundon.

Chuck had a chance to sign for two years last season and didn't, a fact Dundon confirmed in his radio interview. Chuck could have had his victory lap. He rolled the dice and lost. Blaming Dundon - who wasn't even a twinkle in PK's eye at that point - is bad enough, but suggesting it belongs among examples of his supposed cheapness is flat-out inaccurate.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Fans..."We need change.  We've been losing, like forever.  Everything should be on the table.  Nobody is safe"

What he said . Horses are dying everywhere.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:10 PM, jb_online said:

Seems like the Dundon has a very blunt style of managing people... It is what it is. Chuck will always be remembered and appreciated by the Caniac nation for his contribution and connection that we have to the organization and the game. He seems like a really good guy and a real fan of the sport. He educated a lot of ignorant fans and had a part in growing the sport in our region. For that I thank him.

Personally, I couldn't understand half of what he said. I'm not going to dump on him, I don't think he deserves anything but warm praise, but it wasn't a good experience for me trying to follow the gameplay through his words. It seemed incoherent at times and I couldn't follow his cadence well enough to know what happened. Like Top-Shelf-1 said, I'd be lost until I heard 'he scores!' with the same cadence no matter what team lit the lamp and I would have to pause what I was doing, focus and wait patiently until it was further explained because I had NO idea who even had the puck beforehand. Or, I'd try to remember where the game was being played and try to hear a goal horn or something that would indicate if the crowd was celebrating or not. If it was our goal-horn Chewbacca-'Yabba dabba do'-Ric Flair thing playing in the background then "Oh good, the Canes got a goal". I know it's hard to do play-by-play with a fast-paced sport, but I welcome a new voice through the radio... no offense to Mr. Kaiton.

Nice to hear from ya jb.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OBXer said:

Kaiton on WRAL

Thanks for the link.

Loved the the narrow-minded not willing to even acknowledge the future of radio is dead as he knows it.  Good luck to him.

One less tie to the Whalers doesn't hurt my feelings in the least.  The Carolina Hurricanes are our history. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

One less tie to the Whalers doesn't hurt my feelings in the least.

Translation- Damn them Yankees.  LOL

15 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Fans....Just make a trade, any trade, we need to get better immediately...Owner...I'm trading Lindholm and Hanifin, Fans....Not those two they are my favorites....Owner...We just got tougher and will compete at a higher level immediately. Fans.....but I have their Jersey's and my wife likes Hanifin. Owner.....I'm increasing the product on the ice. Fans....Oh my God what is next Trading Skinner? Before you know it we wont have Chuck K anymore.

• Like 1

I posted the Chuck link because no matter what you think of him he has been part of the Hurricanes history since the team moved here. I thought as  Curmudgeon like as some seem to find him it was his view of what happened in his own words. He didn't seem to blame anyone, said he would watch the team, wished Brindy well and included the 06 cup 7th game as one of his fondest memories. I thought he handled the interview with a touch of class.

To make him a bad guy seems to me to be a bit insincere. Perhaps his time has come and gone and I have no problem with the decision, never did only the way it was implemented.

I don't think anyone can argue with the fact  Dundon says he would rather put the money on the ice. It doesn't diminish the fact of what Chuck K has brought to the team over the past couple of decades.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and that's mine. It doesn't make me right or others wrong.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OBXer said:

To make him a bad guy seems to me to be a bit insincere. 

[snip]

Everyone has a right to their own opinion and that's mine. It doesn't make me right or others wrong.

At no point, that I've seen, has anyone here said Chuck was "a bad guy," nor, I'll note, did Dundon. The key point (for me) is that Chuck could have been here for the coming year, if he had signed for two years last summer--just like his colleagues did. 

That is key, in my view, for a couple of reasons: (1) Dundon has made more than clear that guys who are not committed to this org won't be anymore, and (2) it was entirely Chuck's decision, made long before Dundon was even involved with the org.

At one point in his interview, Chuck said (paraphrasing) "I always hoped I'd finish my career with this organization," and then quickly added, "but I never took that for granted." To which one can only wonder why he opted not to renew his deal into his 40th year.

Was Chuck hoping for some kind of longevity bonus? A parade around the PNC with him at the forefront on a sparkle pony? And instead he wound up butt-hurt when he was not only offered a lot less money but asked to sell ads? Very possibly.

But is it Tom Dundon's fault that Chuck signed a one-year deal last summer? Absolutely not. So I find it really disingenuous to complain that TD did not agree to lose money for one more year, when Chuck is the one who did not agree to a two-year deal, did not accept the pay cut, and would not go out and sell his own product.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo
  • Like 1

An interesting perspective from Forslund below. From a fans perspective if you are listening on the radio for what is actually happening on the ice live I'll take JF hands down. I always liked Chuck and his true radio voice for broadcasting but IMO he often drifted from what was actually happening on the ice live. He often wandered into discussions that wasn't applicable to what was happening live on the ice.

John Forslund:

“I’ve gotten a lot of emails from people who are visually impaired who say they can follow my call -- where the puck is in the zone, when and where the puck is in the neutral zone, when the puck is along the boards or the action along the walls. It all goes back to my radio roots.”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

An interesting perspective from Forslund below. From a fans perspective if you are listening on the radio for what is actually happening on the ice live I'll take JF hands down. I always liked Chuck and his true radio voice for broadcasting but IMO he often drifted from what was actually happening on the ice live. He often wandered into discussions that wasn't applicable to what was happening live on the ice.

John Forslund:

“I’ve gotten a lot of emails from people who are visually impaired who say they can follow my call -- where the puck is in the zone, when and where the puck is in the neutral zone, when the puck is along the boards or the action along the walls. It all goes back to my radio roots.”

I've noted on these boards in the past that I was completely spoiled because, as a kid, I grew up listening to Gene Hart call the Flyers. His BPB talents, as far as I'm concerned, were and remain without peer anywhere in the NHL. Forslund, however, comes closer than anyone else has.

On 7/27/2018 at 11:47 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

I've noted on these boards in the past that I was completely spoiled because, as a kid, I grew up listening to Gene Hart call the Flyers. His BPB talents, as far as I'm concerned, were and remain without peer anywhere in the NHL. Forslund, however, comes closer than anyone else has.

Living in NY my broadcasters were Jim Gordon, Bill Chadwick and Bob Wolff. Interesting combo. 

On 7/24/2018 at 8:00 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

The XM guys - a bunch of radio people - are upset. Stunning.

Had you even listened to "the broadcast experience" lately? Chuck complaining about the lack of a red line. About the scrums along the boards with no whistles. Endlessly. And then, out of nowhere, "...and he scores!" followed by Chuck describing whom, and how--as he watched the TV replay.

It was practically a simulcast already.

Yes, I’ve listened regularly over the years, including recently.

again, there was a classier way for this all to go down or at the very least a more straightforward one. How these have been handled, not to mention the complete joke of attempted GM/coach search is just terrible. 

2 hours ago, caneswincup said:

How these have been handled,

So you've listened to the broadcasts. But have you read the details of "how this was handled"? Chuck was offered a two-year deal last summer and didn't take it. Totally Dundon's fault too, I suppose--though he wasn't even here yet?

Edited by top-shelf-1

Yeah, i'm not sure i see the lack of class here either.  Chuck's contract ended, Dundon sees simulcasts as a more cost-efficient method of covering the games on the radio, Chuck was not given a new contract.  Man if that's lack of class, there are a lot of classless people in the business world.  Seemed rather straightforward as well.

• Like 2

Didn't seem so "low class" to me.  It was a business decision.  It seems to be a recurring theme around here that people just don't like how people have been moved on.  Maybe it's because this franchise has allowed folks to hang around way beyond their "use by" date and it's a new concept to make smart business decisions instead of letting nostalgia run amok.  Terrestrial radio is a dying industry and the Canes won't be the first team to simulcast the TV broadcast.  It would have been "nice" for Dundon to keep writing Kaiton a check, but he didn't get to be rich by doing business like that.

• Like 3

Also seems to me that we don't really know who or what TD is yet, but we knew who PK is.  PK ran this thing right into a bridge abutment and some guy comes in with a different approach.  Seems to me its more likely going to do better, how can it do worse?  #nineyears 

Different is um....well.... different.

• Like 6

On 7/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, hag65 said:

Also seems to me that we don't really know who or what TD is yet, but we knew who PK is.  PK ran this thing right into a bridge abutment and some guy comes in with a different approach.  Seems to me its more likely going to do better, how can it do worse?  #nineyears 

Different is um....well.... different.

+1

car.JPG