The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

There are some decisions to be made. Trades to be considered. New management moves to watch.

Free Agents

Cam Ward                   UFA     34     G         
Lee Stempniak           UFA     35     RW     
Derek Ryan                UFA     31     C     
Jeremy Smith               UFA     29     G                                     
Philip Samuelsson       UFA     26     D
Dennis Robertson       UFA     26     D                             
Patrick Brown              UFA     25     LW     
Jake Chelios                UFA     27     D

Brenden Kichton            UFA     25     D

Andrew Miller               UFA      29     C

Restricted Free Agents

Elias Lindholm                RFA      25     C

Noah Hanifin                   RFA      21    D 

Trevor Van Riemsdyk     RFA     26     D     
Phillip di Giuseppe         RFA     24     LW         
Lucas Wallmark              RFA     22     C

Valentin Zykov               RFA    22      LW/RW   

Andrew Poturalski         RFA   24      C    
Trevor Carrick                RFA     23     D     L     
Greg McKegg                 RFA     25     C     L     
Sergey Tolchinsky          RFA     23     RW     
Tyler Ganly                     RFA     23     D

The two trade rumors that seem to resurface are the possibility of moving

Faulk or Skinner but nothing solid on either. With TD saying almost all spots are under evaluation I guess you could post all Hurricane names except Aho and Slavin

Edited by gocanes0506
Adding to the list

Everyone on the UFA list could go. If we can find a new home for Darling or buyout, I'd keep Cam as backup on a one or two year deal. Samuelson has been very solid in Charlotte, plus 44, so maybe re-sign him, but need room for Bean and others too.

RFA: TVR, Wallmark and Carrick should be signed. PDG.....did his late year heroics get him a one-way deal? Not to me. I see Necas and Svech on the NHL club. If we pull of just one more forward move without losing a guy, we already have too many 4th liners including the superior (to PDG) McGinn. On top of that, what about Zykov and Foegele and Kuokkanen? PDG is clogging the works. The rest of the RFA's? Meh. McKegg is a good AHL player if we want to keep him in a slot, and of course has that great rhyming name.

My thoughts anyways.

Number one this off-season is to figure out the goalie situation and that will include a decision on Ward.

• Like 3

I agree that goalie is the biggest decision looming. There are so many variables to plotting a course, buyout Darling, find another backup ready to breakthrough, is Ned ready...... My first action would be to find out if Ward is willing to be the third goalie and sit the box or retire if Darling rights the ship, I think Cam has earned the consideration of seeing my cards. If he agrees then I sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal and go make a play for Grubauer or another high end backup or long in the tooth #1 keeper. Start camp with Cam, Darling and whoever and let them fight it out for pecking order. If Darling has figured it out, then I let Cam sit in the box and get him in the occasional game until he wishes to retire. If Darling spits the bit again, then you roll with the new guy and Cam as the backup and send Darling to Charlotte and hope someone claims him. We could possibly go with Ned as the 3rd guy, but that is a huge gamble to me. We know Cam isn't physically up to the heavy workload anymore and I am not confident of Ned's ability to stay focused at the NHL level.

All other decisions are pretty simple, can I get player X? Is he better than current player Y? If so and the price isn't stupid, make the deal.

I bring back Hanifin, Samuelsson, Carrick, TVR, Ganly, Brown, Wallmark, Zykov, PDG, and McKegg or Poturalski.  I tender Lindholm to retain rights for a trade.  That gives us 39 contracts.  

Offer contracts to Elynuik, De Jong, and Carroll.  42 contracts.

Charlotte

C McKegg/ Pot, Bishop, Roy, Elynuik

LW Saarela, Lorentz, Kuok, PDG

RW Gauthier, Geekie, Brown, Smallman

D Samuelsson, Wesley, Bean, Ganly, Carroll, Carrick

G Ned/Darling & Booth

ECHL Helvig and DeJong

Trades- Rask, Lindy, and a Faulk.  

Possible trades: Skinner

Roster

C Aho, Necas, Staal, Wallmark

LW Skinner, Zykov, McGinn, Martinook

RW Svech, Williams, Foegele, Turbo

Plenty of options to slide Aho to RW and Turbo to left if we get another C or Turbo to left if we get another RW.  

D Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Fluery, TVR, ????, McKeown

G Ned/ Darling, and ????     (if Grubauer buyout Darling,)  Hutton would a be a decent get for 2 years.  He is 32.  

the roster needs to turnover and become "new" with the "new" regime.  It will be a HUGE letdown if we go internal for GM, HC, and keep the roster the same.  Basically telling the fans, we have done this for 9 years but it will work this time with what we have. 

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts

It appears that the number of teams contacting the Hurricanes about Jeff Skinner is growing.

Other Canes stuff thoughts 5-10

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts

Other Canes stuff thoughts 5-10

Ah, you put it here, where it should be.

Let me get mine gone.

This is interesting. As always one wonders what offers are out there for Skinner on one more year.

2 hours ago, dinz said:

Dont want Lindy gone, he hasnt reached his potential yet, jmo.

ditto. Moving Lindy at 23 when it's the way we used him at 18 that slowed his development, when he's the only guy who finally, consistently went to the slot last year, and when he's really coming into his own physically, would not be smart.

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

We better re-up Cam for another 2 year deal...we have to have at least some insurance in net.

Sorry, no way I bring him back. We need a true backup, i.e., someone who has an even-money shot of handling the #1 workload if he is forced to do so, whether by injury or incompetence. We already know Cam can't do that. Great guy, good keeper, but he would not have been a #1 on any top-10 team in the past five years. Let's turn the page.   

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Sorry, no way I bring him back. We need a true backup, i.e., someone who has an even-money shot of handling the #1 workload if he is forced to do so, whether by injury or incompetence. We already know Cam can't do that. Great guy, good keeper, but he would not have been a #1 on any top-10 team in the past five years. Let's turn the page.   

You KNOW Cam can't do that?  

I beg to differ...

Cam was actually doing a really decent job as the #2 goalie last season until we had to ride him as the #1 again because the true #1 was incompetent as they come.

Buy out Mongo NOW...tell Cam that this is his last contract unless he somehow goes all Pekka/Tukka and wins a Vezina...and look for a real starter.

DW's after season interview he spoke of Cam as if he were in the plans next year and Darling at best being in the AHL if not bought out. RF was still the GM at the time so it's hard to tell if that was his personal opinion or if he was relaying RF feelings though.

If I'm GM I'm targeting Garret Sparks personally. Leafs have too many goalies in their system and he's just finished yet another dominating AHL season. Unless of course their done with McElhinney moving Garret up in the system which is possible. But give yourself some solid/numerous internal options if the next NHL FA flops.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

The only way I see Necas in Raleigh next season is if he puts on about 20 pounds. Even if he does, he's going to have to learn how to play at that weight. You can't just throw him out there for 18 minutes a night, and two times more games than he has played in a season to this point in his career. At 6-0/168 (per the current IIHF roster), Martin is going to have to bulk up if he wants to play center in today's NHL. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

DW's after season interview he spoke of Cam as if he were in the plans next year and Darling at best being in the AHL if not bought out. RF was still the GM at the time so it's hard to tell if that was his personal opinion or if he was relaying RF feelings though.

If I'm GM I'm targeting Garret Sparks personally. Leafs have too many goalies in their system and he's just finished yet another dominating AHL season. Unless of course their done with McElhinney moving Garret up in the system which is possible. But give yourself some solid/numerous internal options if the next NHL FA flops.

I didn’t take the bold as that. I read it more of he had to be reminded of Cam and Waddell had to scramble.

The Sparks suggestion is a good one.  We know Smith shouldn’t be back. Why not bring him with a chance of winning the job, knowing we still have a spot for him?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

You KNOW Cam can't do that?  

I beg to differ...

Cam was actually doing a really decent job as the #2 goalie last season until we had to ride him as the #1 again because the true #1 was incompetent as they come.

And what if our #1 struggles again? After what happened this year, do you really prefer Cam as our best option, when we (yes) KNOW, based on his stats and play, that he will not hold up?

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And what if our #1 struggles again? After what happened this year, do you really prefer Cam as our best option, when we (yes) KNOW, based on his stats and play, that he will not hold up?

I'd rather go with a halfway decent backup than the purely craptastic #1 that we have now.

Just now, AWACSooner said:

I'd rather go with a halfway decent backup than the purely craptastic #1 that we have now.

I want more. I want a #1 and a 1A. And we've finally got the bucks to get them.

34 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I want more. I want a #1 and a 1A. And we've finally got the bucks to get them.

And there's no pending UFA's out there who'd qualify...it's gonna cost us two big time trades to get what you want, and I don't think we can pony up the assets to make it happen without screwing us on the offensive and/or defensive side of the game.  

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

And there's no pending UFA's out there who'd qualify...it's gonna cost us two big time trades to get what you want, and I don't think we can pony up the assets to make it happen without screwing us on the offensive and/or defensive side of the game.  

We are so rich in both roster assets and prospects that if we are unwilling to move some of them to solve this chronic problem, we'll deserve - yet again - whatever just-out-of-the-playoffs spot in the standings we wind up in.

Deal Faulk and Hanifin for a top keeper, then sign any of Halak, Lehtonen, or Carter Hutton - UFAs all - on the understanding that they, Darling, the #1 acquired through trade, and Ned are all competing for two NHL jobs. The other two will be headed to CLT at the end of camp.

If we've learned nothing else in the past 10 years, it's that having no competition for BOTH keeper jobs results in mediocre goaltending. It's time to thank Cam and find out who really wants to be our #1.

Edited by top-shelf-1

On 5/12/2018 at 9:28 AM, OBXer said:

There are some decisions to be made. Trades to be considered. New management moves to watch.

Free Agents

Cam Ward                   UFA     34     G         
Lee Stempniak           UFA     35     RW     
Derek Ryan                UFA     31     C     
Jeremy Smith               UFA     29     G                                     
Philip Samuelsson       UFA     26     D
Dennis Robertson       UFA     26     D                             
Patrick Brown              UFA     25     LW     
Jake Chelios                UFA     27     D

Brenden Kichton            UFA     25     D

Andrew Miller               UFA      29     C

Restricted Free Agents

Elias Lindholm                RFA      25     C

Noah Hanifin                   RFA      21    D 

Trevor Van Riemsdyk     RFA     26     D     
Phillip di Giuseppe         RFA     24     LW         
Lucas Wallmark              RFA     22     C

Valentin Zykov               RFA    22      LW/RW   

Andrew Poturalski         RFA   24      C    
Trevor Carrick                RFA     23     D     L     
Greg McKegg                 RFA     25     C     L     
Sergey Tolchinsky          RFA     23     RW     
Tyler Ganly                     RFA     23     D

The two trade rumors that seem to resurface are the possibility of moving

Faulk or Skinner but nothing solid on either. With TD saying almost all spots are under evaluation I guess you could post all Hurricane names except Aho and Slavin

And keep Pesce.

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We are so rich in both roster assets and prospects that if we are unwilling to move some of them to solve this chronic problem, we'll deserve - yet again - whatever just-out-of-the-playoffs spot in the standings we wind up in.

Deal Faulk and Hanifin for a top keeper, then sign any of Halak, Lehtonen, or Carter Hutton - UFAs all - on the understanding that they, Darling, the #1 acquired through trade, and Ned are all competing for two NHL jobs.  will be headed to CLT at the end of camp.

If we've learned nothing else in the past 10 years, it's that having no competition for BOTH keeper jobs results in mediocre goaltending. It's time to thank Cam and find out who really wants to be our #1.

Ready to give up on Hanifin?