The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

Going to stir the pot a little with this but, I think Darling just had a bad year with a new organization. He has another three years on the contract and if during training camp he shows improvement, he should stay. He can't just jump on the "buyout" wagon for that much money. 

1 hour ago, Goalieman_nc said:

Going to stir the pot a little with this but, I think Darling just had a bad year with a new organization. He has another three years on the contract and if during training camp he shows improvement, he should stay. He can't just jump on the "buyout" wagon for that much money. 

Not stirring the pot for me, except that he must show more than improvement, IMO. He needs to be lights out against AHLers/prospects and very good against current NHLers in camp. Anything less and he should start the year in CLT. Other pros get some "shaking off the rust" time in camp. Scott needs to arrive highly polished.

• Like 4

So far at Worlds, Darling has faced 39 shots and allowed four goals; one versus lowly Korea on 13 total shots (in a game the US won 13-1), and three from Norway on 26 shots (the US winning 9-3). That's a save percentage of .897 against two pretty bad teams. Somehow, I don't see him getting the nod versus Finland tomorrow.

Like pitchers and QBs, keepers sometimes just lose it, never to find it again. I really hope that's not happening for Scott, who has battled to overcome so much already.

• Like 1

This tournament was a chance for him to get some confidence back going into camp.  Somehow i don't think that's happening.  But at least he's staying in some sort of 'game shape' maybe.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

So far at Worlds, Darling has faced 39 shots and allowed four goals; one versus lowly Korea on 13 total shots (in a game the US won 13-1), and three from Norway on 26 shots (the US winning 9-3). That's a save percentage of .897 against two pretty bad teams. Somehow, I don't see him getting the nod versus Finland tomorrow.

Like pitchers and QBs, keepers sometimes just lose it, never to find it again. I really hope that's not happening for Scott, who has battled to overcome so much already.

This is indeed distressful news, top. I have really held out hope for Scott and thought he could begin a turnaround at Worlds, particularly seeing who he was up against? Now, IDK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

This is indeed distressful news, top. I have really held out hope for Scott and thought he could begin a turnaround at Worlds, particularly seeing who he was up against? Now, IDK.

If you saw the goals he gave up and the way he looked overall, you would be even more troubled.

At this time I have zero confidence in Darling. 

13 hours ago, Kyrule said:

If you saw the goals he gave up and the way he looked overall, you would be even more troubled.

At this time I have zero confidence in Darling. 

I have to think Darling has zero confidence in Darling.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

McKenzie is usually pretty good but this isnt news. TD said the same thing at exit interview time.  

No but it is interesting. Actually TD indicated there might be 2 or 3 players unavailable at his end of season remarks.

Lyle Richardson but it in perspective:

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Given the recent management and coaching changes, a roster shakeup seems inevitable for the Hurricanes. While they may be willing to listen to offers for all but Aho, it doesn’t mean they’re willing to move most of those players.

20 minutes ago, OBXer said:

No but it is interesting. Actually TD indicated there might be 2 or 3 players unavailable at his end of season remarks.

Basically TD only said Aho wasnt available.  

I highly doubt any long term signed player is available either: Staal, Slavin, or Pesce without a gross overpayment.  Rask would be the only long signed asset easily available.  

As Lyle said, the new "GM" will want to make the team their own.  The 2nd pick allows the team to stay competitive while changing as well.  I dont think any of the management team can say they made us a winner if we returned the same roster with only 4th line and 6th defender changes.  Just like many years before.  

Obviously the biggest change is in goal.  I hope we target Grubauer or Hutton.  Buyout Darling (saving 2.3 mil) and get Sparks ( I really like that idea someone mentioned).  

Grubauer/Hutton, Sparks, and Ned battle it would be 2 spots on the roster and starter.  If we believe these young guys will struggle, offer Cam a PTO.  Cam may get an offer from Edmonton or Calgary.  Not sure though, his numbers arent strong.   Also, the goalie coach will need to highly experienced to run with that young group.  Hutton changes the dynamic obviously but we'll have young goalies with a good shot at making the squad coming through the system.

I doubt Faulk is back.  Its rare that you "fire" a captain with him still on the team.  Staal will remain on the team as the primary A. 

Edited by gocanes0506

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I doubt Faulk is back.  Its rare that you "fire" a captain with him still on the team.  Staal will remain on the team as the primary A. 

Unless they are a co-captain.

The XM guys did some looking back at previous co-captains on other teams.  Almost without exception, this didn't last to the next year.  In most cases, it was ended during the year.  Usually through a trade.

I wish I had a "ear-o-graphic" memory, but I was in the car and could not write down the exact situations they found and described.  Plus, it was 8 months ago.

Edited by wxray1

18 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Basically TD only said Aho wasnt available

yeah Aho was the only player he mentioned by name in his presser but he also said we may have 19 new players or we may have 0. He may of just been putting a number on it to punctuate what he was saying. If there are other players that make us better we will try and get them.

Anyway the hockey world is paying attention

Can't imagine why we'd want to keep Aho.  He was terrible against the USA today!!!!!  

</sarchasm>

... He had a hat trick...

aho.JPG

• Like 2

What better way to break up complacency then with the media constantly reporting the entire team is available? Love it, report it again tomorrow for good measure.

I'm waiting eagerly for the bite to come with the bark and see how the trade fares. 

• Like 1

We'll see if the "trade hammer" is as effective as Peter's "minutes hammer" was.  Gotta take it out of the tool box in order for it to work.

• Like 1

It is an interesting approach. Can't help but get a little anxious with Waddell being the wheeler and dealer in chief, but it is a good way to elicit offers. I'm not a huge NHL historian, but off the top of my head, I can't recall that specific line being used recently by a GM. I've certainly heard, "we're open for business" or the "sale sign is up". But to basically name one guy and tell the world that you'll trade anyone else on the team is pretty bold.

I've made my trade categories back somewhere, ok here:http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/24226-rating-the-players-end-of-season-who-to-keep/?tab=comments#comment-482130 , but baring major overpayment it will be hard to stomach trades for

Slavin, Pesce, Teuravainen are on my nearly untradable list too.

I am down with trading Skinner if we get the right return, but when I think of Skinner under a new coach, if that guy gets back to his 40 goal pace that could mix in nicely. Also, while Svech and Necas might contribute next year they will be rookies. Also, Skinner only had one year, so that could lower his trade value unless it's a sign and trade.

But the main thing is that everyone is expecting a major overhaul, so at least it could get interesting.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Basically TD only said Aho wasnt available. 

I have to think TT isn't either. Breaking up that pair would be second only to not taking Svech on the dumb-o-meter.

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Can't imagine why we'd want to keep Aho.  He was terrible against the USA today!!!!!  

</sarchasm>

... He had a hat trick...

aho.JPG

Take that Patrick Kane. The two are now tied for the tourney lead with 17 points. But Kane is at +/- 0, while SeaBass is +15. TT hanging tough in third with 15 total points and +14.

Maybe Dundon can just buy the whole Finnish National Team. Except Laine, whom they apparently don't need. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

I am down with trading Skinner if we get the right return, but when I think of Skinner under a new coach, if that guy gets back to his 40 goal pace that could mix in nicely.

Moving Skinner before the Deadline would make no sense, and his NMC makes doing it difficult. I'm more interested in whether he's extended this summer. Much as I like Jeff, if I'm TD I withhold the extension to create buzz and see what I can get. If Skinner lights it up, extend him prior to the TD. If he doesn't (which I think is unlikely, provided he has actual functioning line mates), move him.

I don't think Skinner will be the price for what we need in the crease, and think we must move at least one of Faulk or Hanifin (prefer both) if we want a D-first D. 

I'm a bit nervous about moving Faulk and Hanfin in one move.

To me Svech changes the equation as arguably does Necas. We could still use a vet top 6 proven scorer, but the need is less. And we don't need to fix the D that much, and moving two key guys out at once could be risky and lead to a setback on D.

Its no secret that I'd move Faulk. I think that is a bit of addition by subtraction. I know not everyone agrees with that, but it's my opinion. Faulk has shown what he is, at least on this team. But Hanifin was a guy some targeted as a potential #1 type pick in many drafts. He is still very young in D man years, actually a year behind Fleury. I don't like a lot of Hanifin's tendencies, but he's still an RFA and he will have a new coach to answer to. I can't help but always go back to the interview I heard with a top NHL D man who said something to the effect of: "I didn't really feel like I got the position in the NHL until I was 24 years old, when it slowed down and came together." Hanifin is 22,  (Faulk is 26).

If Hanifin becomes what many envisioned, the return should be more than we are likely to get now, but we wouldn't want to trade him.

While the idea of Hanifin for a similar "good-not-great" but high-upside forward of a similar age was really appealing before the ping pong balls happened, now, it's less of an urgency.

I keep Hanifin at least one more season, similar to keeping Skinner, to see what he can do with another year and a new regime.

I trade Faulk. I trade Rask if I can. I'd trade Skinner for the right return only and I'd trade Lindholm for the right return only.

To be honest, while apparently the whole team is up for grabs, the only guys I would actively want to trade would be Faulk, Rask, and Darling really.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Moving Skinner before the Deadline would make no sense, and his NMC makes doing it difficult. I'm more interested in whether he's extended this summer. Much as I like Jeff, if I'm TD I withhold the extension to create buzz and see what I can get. If Skinner lights it up, extend him prior to the TD. If he doesn't (which I think is unlikely, provided he has actual functioning line mates), move him.

I don't think Skinner will be the price for what we need in the crease, and think we must move at least one of Faulk or Hanifin (prefer both) if we want a D-first D. 

Moving Hanifin and Faulk would be devastating to the team and basically remove it from today's hockey world.  O starts from the D more now than ever.  D first teams are trying hard to get offense from their D.  A big focus for Edmonton is a defender that will put up more than 8 goals.  Trade the 2 likely guys to do it?  not good from our end. Slavin and Pesce probably have more offense in them but they arent at Hanifin's or Faulk's level of offensive potential.  

Skinner- I dont see us having a teammate(s) that fit his mold.  IMO we have 2 lines set.  Staal,McGinn, Williams for possession & matching against the best line.  Lindy/Wallmark, Foegele, and Martinook another matchup line we hope will score more than a traditional 4th energy line.  That leaves us Aho and Turbo with someone or Necas, Svech, Zykov, Rask, someone.  I dont see a line here that matches with Skinners' style.  Skins needs a big net front presence to blind a goalie from all his shots and a guy that passes the puck to Skins when he finds the right spot.  All while both players being great 2 way players.  Staal is the big guy and 2 way player but with the youth on the team, he will be relinquished to a shutdown role again.  In the world of what ifs could we do:

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Skins-Staal-Necas

McGinn-Lindy-Williams

Martinook-Wallmark-Foegele

do we put a #5 pick as shutdown line center?  Would Staal's lack of offense be able to elevate Skinner's game?  What about Zykov in this scenario?  I think the addition of Zykov, Svech, and Necas make up for Skinner's offense. 

Be like NJ and make a Hockey Trade with The Oil. Faulk for RNH. Heck who knows, maybe he pulls a Taylor Hall, and goes all MVP. I don't get the impression TD is going to throw cash down in a bidding war. So trades strike me as the way he is going to do it.

TT Aho Svechy

Skins RNH Willy

Ginner Staal Zykov

Nooker Lindy Fogs

Slav Pesch

Han TVR

Fleury Mck/or FA

New Goalie X (Acquired by some trade)

Ned

Play the hockeys, win the games. Done

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 1