The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

23 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

So far at Worlds, Darling has faced 39 shots and allowed four goals; one versus lowly Korea on 13 total shots (in a game the US won 13-1), and three from Norway on 26 shots (the US winning 9-3). That's a save percentage of .897 against two pretty bad teams. Somehow, I don't see him getting the nod versus Finland tomorrow.

Like pitchers and QBs, keepers sometimes just lose it, never to find it again. I really hope that's not happening for Scott, who has battled to overcome so much already.

I watched the games he played.  He was OK against Korea, He came in with the team up 9-0 and the US stopped playing for a few minutes and hung him out to dry.  One of the Norway goals was a 5 on 3 where they got a 2 on 1 down low.  I remember one goal that I thought, "There's the Darling I remember this year.".  The other 3 were meh....

34 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

I watched the games he played.  He was OK against Korea, He came in with the team up 9-0 and the US stopped playing for a few minutes and hung him out to dry.  One of the Norway goals was a 5 on 3 where they got a 2 on 1 down low.  I remember one goal that I thought, "There's the Darling I remember this year.".  The other 3 were meh....

You know, not only do I look back at the way he played, but perhaps more importantly, the way the team played for him. Team dynamics and psycology come into play here, and if there's talk of leaving behind the past and the complacency that the team may have developed in front of him, by shedding said players, that are ok with not going that extra mile, we are better off without him. It's going to be hard to just forget what happened last season with regards to collapses both in net, and around the net. Imagine giving him the crease and the softies start flying in the first game. That's an incredibly tough mental hurdle to get over. 

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Moving Hanifin and Faulk would be devastating to the team and basically remove it from today's hockey world.  O starts from the D more now than ever. 

The puck-moving abilities of both TVR and Slavin leave those of Faulk and Hanifin in their dust, IMO, so if you're seriously talking about O starting from the D, i.e., in the D zone, I'd rather have either of those two skating the puck up the ice. And I'd definitely want any of our D other than either of them getting back from the O blue line. Stupid pinches and failed attempts to check opposing puck carriers in the neutral zone - and then, chasing the play back to their own net in time to fish the puck out - sorry, I've seen it from both of them more in one season than one should see from it supposed "All Stars" in a lifetime.

But there are compelling other reasons to lose them both. Faulk has failed as a captain and does not stand up for his teammates. Hanifin made demands to get here (NHL or college) and then pitched a fit when he didn't get an extension last summer--one he has yet to earn with his play. He never hits anyone, seems to fear blocking shots, and (as I've already written elsewhere) he and Faulk combined last year for more giveaways than the other four members of the D corps combined.

I really don't care what they might bring in the offensive end, because their cost to us in the other one is far too great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Hanifin made demands to get here (NHL or college) and then pitched a fit when he didn't get an extension last summer

So we are to just take this as fact?  All we know as fact is he fired his agent.  I think you are reaching here to get a point across.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Im fine with Faulk leaving. I was very critical of his awful pinches and misplays. I don’t think both should go.  We need goals from the defense.   

This doesn't negate your point, and I know it's counter to common perception, but I see Slavin as currently on a par or even above Hanifin offensively.  That's based on the eye test as well as production last year. 

Hanifin:  10G, 22A,  with lots of PP time

Slavin:     8G, 22A, with very little PP time

Of course, Hanifin is a couple years younger, so we need to take that into account . . .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

So we are to just take this as fact?  All we know as fact is he fired his agent.  I think you are reaching here to get a point across.

Asked why Hanifin quit the Orr Group, its managing partner responded, "Disillusionment." Somehow I doubt he was referencing disillusionment on the part of the firm. 

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Asked why Hanifin quit the Orr Group, its managing partner responded, "Disillusionment." Somehow I doubt he was referencing disillusionment on the part of the firm. 

I dont doubt there was a lack of a common goal between Hanifin and his agents but to take one sides version as truth is a bit of a reach. As the saying goes theres 3 sides to every story yours, mine, and the truth.

every team is going to come out with " hey here are the players the hurricanes might move."  In the end 90% of those teams are not giving up roster pieces to do it.  Avalanche is one of them.  Avs best shot if hoping this magical chemistry from last year doesnt disappear, Yak actually plays like a number 1 pick, and they sign someone like JVR.

If I was to estimate the teams willing to move roster players:

Us

Capitals

Pitts

Chicago

Edmonton

Detroit

anyone else with Cap issues

Maybe the Senators (which would be stupid because their pick would be high)

Edited by gocanes0506

I'm with top on this issue, despite the "3 sided comparison". Obviously NONE of us can know the entire story, nor can we know the exact issues that caused him to fire/dismiss his agent, or even the context of the characterization "disillusionment", but there was also the reputed demand that 1st season after he was drafted that he play in the NHL?

As I seem to constantly pontificate in these situations, and sorry if I keep beating this dead horse, but we fans are exposed to bits and pieces of all these players, similarly their coaches, etc. I believe we formulate things about them based on whether we "like or dislike" each for whatever reason we judge, some more informed than others based on play, toughness or an infinite number of things. For instance, I've not had a positive view of Faulk because of something I HEARD that he sharply berated one of the equipment guys who handed him the wrong stick!! Then, as his less than adequate defense unfolds and I begin to notice more and more blatant mistakes, all add to my dislike of him and my insistence he be traded(in truth, I wouldn't be upset if he is traded). A friend who rides to every game I attend with us loves this player, thus isn't impressed with as many breakdowns as I see. So, my conclusion, the mind sees what it is prepared to see.

Thus, is Hanifin one who suffers from a sense of entitlement, therefore to be considered for trade, or does he continue to develop and will become a valuable team player? IDK

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

Just to look at possible trading partners, and how some other teams fans are looking at us being open for business, and who they might want:

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2018/5/15/17355568/picking-at-the-carolina-hurricanes-could-benefit-the-colorado-avalanche-trade-rumors

Couldn't read it after the title.  Picking at the carcass is a bit strong

2 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Couldn't read it after the title.  Picking at the carcass is a bit strong

dont bother, it just mentions players of our they would pair with their current players. No actual hockey trades. 

Yeah, it's just a blogger's speculation. If such things are upsetting, don't read it. I agree that it is weakened by no offers of who they'd trade, and I agree the title is a bit smug for a fan of a team that finished at the bottom just a year ago. But we get so dialed into our thoughts on our players, that I found it worth briefly looking at to see how our players that might be traded are viewed from the other side. 

It was also interesting that there was no mention of Faulk.

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah, it's just a blogger's speculation. If such things are upsetting, don't read it. I agree that it is weakened by no offers of who they'd trade, and I agree the title is a bit smug for a fan of a team that finished at the bottom just a year ago. But we get so dialed into our thoughts on our players, that I found it worth briefly looking at to see how our players that might be traded are viewed from the other side. 

It was also interesting that there was no mention of Faulk.

Not upsetting.  Just coming from the Colorado direction...yeah.

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Not upsetting.  Just coming from the Colorado direction...yeah.

Oh definitely. And I agree, the title was over the top. Click bait or just smug. 

Not the most important link ever, I did debate even posting it. I'm just curious about what others think of guys we might trade.

Faulk for instance. I'd be fascinated by what sort of offers he's drawn at various times. This guy doesn't even mention him. What sort of return would Faulk bring? 

This guy did seem to value Hanifin a lot. I wonder if that's because Sakic might have been trying to get Hanifin for Duchene and they have him on the mind. 

44 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm with top on this issue, despite the "3 sided comparison". Obviously NONE of us can know the entire story, nor can we know the exact issues that caused him to fire/dismiss his agent, or even the context of the characterization "disillusionment", but there was also the reputed demand that 1st season after he was drafted that he play in the NHL?

Yes.  Hence Top's "other evidence."  This was well publicized right from the get-go, and it disturbed me quite a bit.  To hear about the unpleasantness last season was not comforting.

It is so hard to really "know" how profound a player's attitude is on the room and the team, but if Hanifin is part  of the problem that way, I would swing firmly over to trading him. Still, young guys can still figure it out and marture, and if Faulk is any sort of issue that way, and wearing a "C" and well beyond the age to charge it off to being a kid who can change, I'd still want to move him first, and still have hesitation about moving them both in the same time period.

My impression at the time was that Francis collaborated with the Hanifin family as to whether Noah should stay in college for another year or jump right into the NHL.  I never had the feeling that it was a unilateral demand by Hanifin.  Is it possible that the notion that Hanifin demanded an immediate NHL spot actually has it's roots in speculation here on this board?  I've seen people make a jump like that a few times over the years, here and in "real life".

Not positive about any of this, and if it is true then I'd be way more inclined to deal Hanifin for the best offer we could get (as compared to a "favorable hockey trade").  The front office does know for sure, and I suspect they'll act accordingly.  

Good points, Lake. And if I had to guess, I'd bet that Brind'Amour has his finger on the pulse of this as well as any other front office resident?

I was also not on the inside, but my recollection was wide spread agreement that he was NHL ready, and the team was not exactly Nashville on the back end at the time either. 

I have no idea how much fire is behind the smoke of some of this, but as mentioned, I'm sure Brind'Amour does and he will likely have a bigger piece of the owner's ear than a lot of coaches.

50 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Good points, Lake. And if I had to guess, I'd bet that Brind'Amour has his finger on the pulse of this as well as any other front office resident?

Absolutely, and if Hanifin is dealt this summer, the details might give us some insight as to some of the possible internal details we're currently speculating about.