The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Or it might be our TSN friends to the North stirring the pot, I'll let you decide?

Except it apparently originated from Rinkside Reporter Fox Sports Midwest, 

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Of course they're stirring the pot...they've been harping for us to relocate to Quebec for the good part of this decade...

I completely agree, thus I discount that piece.

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

Except it apparently originated from Andy Strickland Rinkside Reporter Fox Sports Midwest, 

So are you suggesting it's accurate, thus Chip uninformed? I don't know how to read your comment?

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I completely agree, thus I discount that piece.

Yeah St Louis was originally French. I see the connection :sarcasm:

I think we put Rask out there before the Lindholm trade.

just like we were serious inquiriers about Karlsson. I don’t we’re still interested in Karlsson.

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

So are you suggesting it's accurate, thus Chip uninformed? I don't know how to read your comment?

No what I'm suggesting is that the Canadian insiders might of jumped on it but the source was a St. Louis hockey guy. My guess is Chip is getting information from a Canes source and Strickland from a Blues source. I'm saying be skeptical but don't discount it out of hand..

Just now, KJUNKANE said:

So was Louisiana, but I reject that connection.

Exactly. This didn't come from Canadian sources.

44 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

top, on this goalie front, I believe I heard at the Draft Party, John or Mike make the statement that the Goalie situation was going to be decided in 7-10 days. Now what the meaning of that is, I have no clue, and if there are others on here that attended that "sweat out" I'll call it, that can correct me on this, I'd welcome it, but that gave me great hope that something fairly definitive was in the works? He might have been just referring to settling between Cam and Scott, but I'm hopeful it was the larger picture. Course those things are fluid so who knows right now?

Not that fluid. We're in that period where pending UFAs can talk to other teams to explore their options. My guess is that DW was simply stating the obvious: That we'll know prior to the beginning of free agency whether we're in the running for a UFA (read: Hutton), or if Skinner and/or Faulk are enough to move a team to cut loose its bonafide #1. 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

This might be double talk for sure

There's a difference between turning down an offer and what Strickland might be calling "rejecting trades": Without having a deal in place (which would be required in order to reject it), Mgmt could have asked Skinner if he would waive for a particular deal in this or that city, and he said "no." i.e., they asked him first to make sure they wouldn't waste time negotiating a move that he'd ultimately nix.

Wild stab at teams Jeff would waive for: LA, SJ, Anaheim, Toronto, TBL. And I don't see us moving him to either of the last two.

The Canes really need to sign one of their RFAs to ease some concern that they don’t want to pay the players.  I really hope that Dundon is not P.K. part 2.  

I was was so happy to get rid of P.K and his thrift shop he was running. now I’m starting to have doubts that TD will pony up the cash for players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

The Canes really need to sign one of their RFAs to ease some concern that they don’t want to pay the players.  I really hope that Dundon is not P.K. part 2.  

I was was so happy to get rid of P.K and his thrift shop he was running. now I’m starting to have doubts that TD will pony up the cash for players.

For me TVR was a very good player for us. He should get 2 million per at 2-3 years. I don’t know that we want that with Fox there now.  We have the bargaining power as we have 6 capable RHD.  

58 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

The Canes really need to sign one of their RFAs to ease some concern that they don’t want to pay the players.

I think this is an interesting take.  The other side suggests if you don't want to be here there is the door.  But as Ice and Lake point out we aren't talking about marqee players.

I don't care what the salary comparison guy said, Lindholm was not work 5X5.  If he were standing firm in that neighborhood, I wouldn't pay him either. I would have perhaps tried a 2X4 deal and not bought out any free agency.  But in the end that ship has sailed and we now have a #1 pairing RHD out of it.

I am a little disappointed about TVR.  To be honest, I wouldn't be above paying the guy 3.5X3.  Either he or Faulk will be moved very soon.  If we keep Faulk, we will be sinking 15M into RHD.  We would also have the best RHD corps in the NHL.

Also the comment about the goaltender situation resolving itself in the next 7-10 days was stated by Waddell on the Adam and Joe show late last week (Thursday around 6:45 PM if my memory serves).

3 hours ago, ironman87 said:

I don't care what the salary comparison guy said, Lindholm was not work 5X5.  If he were standing firm in that neighborhood, I wouldn't pay him either. I would have perhaps tried a 2X4 deal and not bought out any free agency.  But in the end that ship has sailed and we now have a #1 pairing RHD out of it.

I am a little disappointed about TVR.  To be honest, I wouldn't be above paying the guy 3.5X3.  Either he or Faulk will be moved very soon.  If we keep Faulk, we will be sinking 15M into RHD.  We would also have the best RHD corps in the NHL.

Also the comment about the goaltender situation resolving itself in the next 7-10 days was stated by Waddell on the Adam and Joe show late last week (Thursday around 6:45 PM if my memory serves).

I wonder if he meant that Darling has been working out really hard and is now ready to be the true starting NHL goal tender for the Canes?

Just now, bluedevil58 said:

I wonder if he meant that Darling has been working out really hard and is now ready to be the true starting NHL goal tender for the Canes?

I hope not. That is, I hope the Canes braintrust isn't betting our season on it.  Obviously I'd be thrilled if it ends up that way, but they need to have another option in place in case it doesn't work out as hoped.

Edited by LakeLivin

50 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Im a firm believer in 2nd chances . and if Darling can be great for the canes then  it's a win win  for us because then it all could of been chalked up as just having a bad year  for the guy .   There has been plenty of players who  have gone through similar situations in the past and because of that  , Short Sided  gm's have made the mistake of  trading away  a guy that  really was not the problem .   Darling  could  be  better but that  much is not known yet  .    I hear he is working hard to get stronger and  slimmer  to be a faster goalie .   if it's all a mental thing for him then  maybe  he could see someone about that .   I  just hope it was just the  shock culture  of going to a team that has fans in the building vs a team that never shows up  was the main reason and for him to get over that hump to play better  . 

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Just for blind optimism but it is rumored JT will talk to 2-3 additional teams via phone.  Could the Canes be one??? :crossfingers:

No?!?!?!  ok, carry on! 

nah .  Among the teams I seriously doubt it would be a division rival for the Islanders.   Vegas , San Jose ,  Winnipeg  ,  St. louis , tampa   ,  are the teams im betting on he talks to . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Why not?  JT can talk to anyone he wants.  Division rival or not.  I'm not saying we will talk to him, but his playing for the Islanders will have no bearing on it, if his agent is worth two cents...

As for the goalie thing, I bet we will end up with another part-time starter type (Hutton, Anderson, Varlomov) and let them fight it out with Darling. Perhaps Mrazek on a 1-year deal to find out if he has it?

With the rumors around resigning TVR, I am beginning to wonder how much of a problem our depth is becoming. Could Lindy's contract issues have been over the same things? Staal is a contractual lock, Aho, Turbo, Svech and Necas I think are safe bets as well. That leaves one spot in the top 6 for Zykov and any outside prospects. I am sure TVR is looking at the current contract chart and asking himself why should he sign here? If we manage to unload Faulk that still leaves him 3rd pairing at best, if not he gets shipped off to Charlotte or the pressbox...