The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

Yeah, just like the one I posted only even more obnoxious. 

I guess if you put the yard sale sign out some weirdos are going to slowly drive by,.

I haven't looked at what the Penguins have that we might want, but if they do, and if JR still has a thing for Faulk, I'd let him push us in that there brier patch.

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

My impression at the time was that Francis collaborated with the Hanifin family as to whether Noah should stay in college for another year or jump right into the NHL.  I never had the feeling that it was a unilateral demand by Hanifin.  Is it possible that the notion that Hanifin demanded an immediate NHL spot actually has it's roots in speculation here on this board?  I've seen people make a jump like that a few times over the years, here and in "real life".

Not positive about any of this, and if it is true then I'd be way more inclined to deal Hanifin for the best offer we could get (as compared to a "favorable hockey trade").  The front office does know for sure, and I suspect they'll act accordingly.  

Lake: I take back anything I said about this deal (i.e. any implied "my way or highway") and will agree with your recollection and impression.  I *do* think it came from speculation on this board.  Sadly, trying to search this board is an exercise in futility since scanning through any search data is throttled severely by a time limit.

So, I did external searches, and I base my mea culpa on a wasted lunch 1/2 hour of scanning numerous old news articles.   I used the Google feature of limiting articles from June 1 to Dec 1 of 2015.

Here's a nugget that totally supports a cooperative Hanifin view.  

Hanifin leaves for Carolina’s rookie camp Sunday, where he’ll be for all next week. When he returns home, that’s when he plans to sit down with his agent, Dave Gagner, his parents and York and the BC coaches to make his next big decision – to stay at Boston College or turn pro.

“My goal is to play in the NHL someday, but I have to be patient,” he said. “Still, if I feel I’m ready, that I’ll be able to play, then I’ll make that call.”

He’s got some time to make that decision, but right now he’s going to enjoy the fulfillment of a major goal accomplished.

“It’s really nice,” Hanifin said. “As a little kid, it was my dream to get drafted and go play in the NHL. Now I’m drafted, so I just got to keep working to achieve my ultimate goal.

He "made that call" by signing in July with the collaboration of RF.  There are many RF quotes that gingerly describe how Hanifin should fit in, but there are options in the AHL if he doesn't.  None it seems like a "my way only" from Noah.  The kid was just exploring options, as he should, because it is a big deal to quit school and try to go pro.

I don't know where the more pugilistic tones came from.  I think I need to check my brain, but I know I'm not the only one.  Maybe some quotes such as "I'll make that call." were misinterpreted as a machismo thing.  I dunno.

I'm about ready to stop contributing here because I swear I'm misremembering things more and more.  Time for a brain scan.

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, MassCaniac said:

I'm pretty sure quotes like "The Penguins would be wise to strike and take advantage of a weak situation going on in Raleigh" and  " take advantage when a team is acting dumb and/or desperate." are pretty good ways to shoot any chance of making a trade in the foot.  Way to go bloghead, you just killed your teams chances of taking advantage of the dumbasses in Raleigh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Lake: I take back anything I said about this deal (i.e. any implied "my way or highway") and will agree with your recollection and impression.  I *do* think it came from speculation on this board.  Sadly, trying to search this board is an exercise in futility since scanning through any search data is throttled severely by a time limit.

So, I did external searches, and I base my mea culpa on a wasted lunch 1/2 hour of scanning numerous old news articles.   I used the Google feature of limiting articles from June 1 to Dec 1 of 2015.

Here's a nugget that totally supports a cooperative Hanifin view.  

He "made that call" by signing in July with the collaboration of RF.  There are many RF quotes that gingerly describe how Hanifin should fit in, but there are options in the AHL if he doesn't.  None it seems like a "my way only" from Noah.  The kid was just exploring options, as he should, because it is a big deal to quit school and try to go pro.

I don't know where the more pugilistic tones came from.  I think I need to check my brain, but I know I'm not the only one.  Maybe some quotes such as "I'll make that call." were misinterpreted as a machismo thing.  I dunno.

I'm about ready to stop contributing here because I swear I'm misremembering things more and more.  Time for a brain scan.

Thanks for doing some research to shed some light on the topic instead of us depending on our respective memories, lol.

Speaking of which, I haven't recognized a problem with mis-remembering things, but I have developed a very noticeable lag at times.  E.g., I'll try to recall a person and I can picture the face, but can't immediately pull up the name.  Anywhere from a couple seconds to a couple minutes later, it will pop into my mind.  I wouldn't have much of a chance on Jeopardy these days!

Edited by LakeLivin

Well good news is that he's talking now like we are making that pick at #2, and while it isn't rocket surgery, they know they have to change things up between the pipes. These seem obvious, but I still feel better hearing them said out loud.

We want to make change, but when you make change you want to make sure you’re making the right change and making the right decision, because anybody can make just change for the sake of making change. But if you’re not making your hockey club better with those changes, it might make sense to take another look at it.

For what it's worth that's the same GM lingo used by Ronnie, the real change is the eyes on these trades proposals. I'm hoping DW has his scale a little more in tune with what these players are worth as well as the ability to let himself get a bit fleeced in the future for the now. To the chagrin of the Penguins fans who think were starting a rebuild over again.

Edited by legend-1

7 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

For what it's worth that's the same GM lingo used by Ronnie, the real change is the eyes on these trades proposals. I'm hoping DW has his scale a little more in tune with what these players are worth as well as the ability to let himself get a bit fleeced in the future for the now. To the chagrin of the Penguins fans who think were starting a rebuild over again.

Yes and no.  GMRF wanted change that he only believed would beneficial to the squad in the long run.  Especially at trade deadlines, it is rare to find a trade that is beneficial to the squad long term (unless you are trading away the rentals).  We may see more of a balance of philosophies short and long term to make the team better.    

If we trade ANYTHING to JR, we trade him Darling...for their next 3 1st rounders.  That's the kind of stupidity he did for deals when he was our GM, and he deserves nothing less for the ****show he left us with!

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

If we trade ANYTHING to JR, we trade him Darling...for their next 3 1st rounders.  That's the kind of stupidity he did for deals when he was our GM, and he deserves nothing less for the ****show he left us with!

I'd trade anything to JR that he'd be willing to take, because you know he'd give up the farm to get them.  That's the funny thing about that writeup, that they think JR will fleece the Hurricanes.  4 years and Pittsburgh still hasn't realized JR's been mortgaging their future from day one?

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Interesting quotes from Waddell about future trades.

https://frshockey.com/nhl/hurricanes/waddell-hurricanes-know-change-is-needed/

The best part of that article is: Obviously getting the No. 2 pick in the NHL draft coming up probably means we’re going to be able to put a player right on our team. If we keep the pick, which it looks like that’s the way it’s going right now – that’s exciting. We have Marty Necas, who we drafted last year in the first round, that we feel is going to make the jump this year to the NHL

new owner tom dundon will be no joke, this team will MAKE the play-off next year,he is all busness some thing a small market team needs. start planning on a very good season next year.

I feel the hurricanes should think about two things 1 , play some games in Hartford ct in there whaler jerey  2 play some games in charlotte nc  in hurricanes /whaler jersey  by doing this they will widen there fan base , this will be a big off season Free agree, trades and most of all the number 2 pick in the up coming draft. Great thing are about to happen jump on to the bang wagon NOW

Highlight of playoffs so far was seeing Pittsburgh eliminated from the playoffs. They can dream on about Pesce. ? I would prefer we make NO deals with them. 

• Like 1

Looking around the internet it is absolutely MIND-BLOWING ? that these idiots have jobs and/or can have this trash made public.

Recent articles from the Rangers, Avalanche, Pittsburgh, and a new one, which is the most ridiculous yet, comes from Boston (shocker). 

I know these guys aren’t representatives of the teams, but their lack of knowledge is hard to believe, and their taking the “everyone is available” comment as the Canes clueless management is ready to give everyone away for nothing is just...frankly...embarrassing.

Five minutes of actual research would have clarified where TD was coming from, but I guess that’s too much to ask.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Looking around the internet it is absolutely MIND-BLOWING ? that these idiots have jobs and/or can have this trash made public.

Recent articles from the Rangers, Avalanche, Pittsburgh, and a new one, which is the most ridiculous yet, comes from Boston (shocker). 

I know these guys aren’t representatives of the teams, but their lack of knowledge is hard to believe, and their taking the “everyone is available” comment as the Canes clueless management is ready to give everyone away for nothing is just...frankly...embarrassing.

Five minutes of actual research would have clarified where TD was coming from, but I guess that’s too much to ask.

Kyrule, it is unfortunate what passes for journalism. All you have to do is have diarrhea of the mouth/hands and a willingness to put it out there....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Kyrule, it is unfortunate what passes for journalism. All you have to do is have diarrhea of the mouth/hands and a willingness to put it out there....

And that’s how message boards were born ;)

49 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

This one? https://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2018/5/16/17357378/carolina-hurricanes-boston-bruins-nhl-trade-free-agency-noah-hanifin-hockey-speculation

Yeah, someone's dreaming big there.  I'm not sure i equate what's happening as a 'fire sale', but it's good reading for the Bruins faithful i suppose.

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

This one? https://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2018/5/16/17357378/carolina-hurricanes-boston-bruins-nhl-trade-free-agency-noah-hanifin-hockey-speculation

Yeah, someone's dreaming big there.  I'm not sure i equate what's happening as a 'fire sale', but it's good reading for the Bruins faithful i suppose.

That’s the one, thanks for posting the link (I have no idea how from my phone).

At least someone knowledgeable about the Canes posted under the comments section, trying to educate others about what is really going on here and what our players might be worth.

Edited by Kyrule

A  lot of these bloggers just hear that everyone but Aho is available,  That leads to all sort of speculation on their part and often amusing conclusions for those of us that follow the Canes all the time. I try not to confuse a blogger with a journalist but in todays world that can be difficult. Those bloggers are also looking at it from their teams perspective. Like wow everyone but Aho is available so who should we go get. It leads to some amusing scenarios.

It is interesting, for me, to see who these bloggers are focusing on for trades. But it is all just talk right now. Still we aren't being ignored anymore and I say let them talk away. There is always room for some comic relief in our daily routine.

Just to follow this up: that putting the See Something You Like? sign up will stimulate the blogosphere, and combining it with my point that I'd have included TT with Aho  as not for sale, is this piece from Chicago who would like their TT back. (BTW I think it's fair to say that the deal to pick up TT was Francis' finest move as GM).

There's this from Chicago: https://blackhawkup.com/2018/05/16/chicago-blackhawks-reunion-with-teravainen-worth-looking-into/

This time someone actually proposed a trade, but I had to do an exaggerated double take:

The Hurricanes are looking to unload talent, and apparently that means anyone but Sebastian Aho is available. Would they be willing to part with Teravainen for the 27th pick in the first round and a later round pick at this year’s draft? It would certainly be worth finding out.

Are you out yo mind? Seriously, do they have 7 year olds writing these things? I'm not kidding, if Waddell did that deal I would cancel my seats the next day. I know he wouldn't actually do that. How do I know? Hmmmmmmm. OK that's where the anxiety comes from. I think I know he wouldn't do it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Interesting quotes from Waddell about future trades.

https://frshockey.com/nhl/hurricanes/waddell-hurricanes-know-change-is-needed/

Waddell said..

Scott Darling came to camp last year probably not in the best condition and we never got him to where he was back in Chicago. So we started the offseason program with him

I have found video footage of the offseason program they have him on.

• Like 1