The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

14 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Does anyone have a feel for Maenalanen's role with the team next year? Is he sure to suit up? or is he another pony in the prospect pool?

I think he starts in CLT to get used to NA Ice unless he blows everyone away at training camp.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Early vs Bernier Vs Hutton vs Anderson? any of those 4 on our radar? Is that what everyone sees, or are thee other options?

Throw Lehner in there. IMO they are all a gamble and come with risk, but Lehner has the most upside. Was once dealt for a first round, so somebody saw something.

Halak? IDK.

Edited by sleekfeeder

14 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Point taken.  I don't want to come across as a Ryan basher after he's gone (assumed).  Still, I don't think he was a good fit here being hog-tied to Skinner.  He got knocked all around trying to play Peters grinder game. He did get up well though.  Frankly, I'm surprised he put up 38 points.  Good luck to him.

I've been hard on Ryan, but mostly because of the situations Peters put him in.  Smart and good at the face off dot.  Slow and soft everywhere else.

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Throw Lehner in there. IMO they are all a gamble and come with risk, but Lehner has the most upside. Was once dealt for a first round, so somebody saw something.

Lehner is going to Detroit...

Yeah, my bad for not proof reading, that should have been Varly. Maybe spell check was my undoing?

Another question I thought of, are there any Western Conference keepers potentially available? Seems those might be more attracted to moving to the East with reputed less travel stress, and teams from there more inclined to trade with a team they don't have to face multiple times? I know Hutton is one of Preds goalies, but thinking further west?

Edited by KJUNKANE

According to Bob McKenzie, the Penguins are interested in Skinner, not sure what they’d offer.

Also, not sure I’d want to trade him within the division. Faulk, yes Skinner, probably not.

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

According to Bob McKenzie, the Penguins are interested in Skinner, not sure what they’d offer.

Also, not sure I’d want to trade him within the division. Faulk, yes Skinner, probably not.

What is the deal with being scared of trading within the division if that gives you the best return?  Is Skinner going to give state secrets to the Pens?  I have never understood this tendency.  Washington took a less return on Grubauer to send him to Colorado than the Canes offered.  It was reported that Waddell offered a higher 2nd rounder than they got from the Avs for the same trade.

• Like 2

The thought of Skinner as a Penguin makes me want to hurl. Surely there are other options other than helping a team you will see often. But my dislike of the Penguins makes me very biased. ??

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Rumored that Cam is going to Chicago

I know they have a goalie stuck in Russia, Nalimov. Wonder if Cam to them occurs, if that may be a option to explore? Anyone on here know much about him?

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

What is the deal with being scared of trading within the division if that gives you the best return?  Is Skinner going to give state secrets to the Pens?  I have never understood this tendency.  Washington took a less return on Grubauer to send him to Colorado than the Canes offered.  It was reported that Waddell offered a higher 2nd rounder than they got from the Avs for the same trade.

In  a trade for Skinner involved Malkin then I would take that trade to the bank every day every night  every second !    I know there is no way in the world  that would happen unless the Canes   had Yzerman as their GM  but  we don't  so that wont happen .   Pittsburgh is out of the question for who they have and what the Canes could get back reasonably .  They have to look elsewhere .   I would need some time to Chalk down some teams  .  Ideally  im thinking   Skinner for a goalie  but im not sure as of who either .  I  just hope we dont have to give up futures for a player back .  That's how Don Waddell killed the Thrashers !

Edited by Canesfanforever

58 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Confirmed?

From TSN:

Top of the List? Craig Custance of The Athletic reports that Robin Lehner made an in-person visit with the Detroit Red Wings this week and he appears to be their top choice to fill the team's vacant backup role behind Jimmy Howard.

Lehner will hit the open market Sunday after going unqualified as a restricted free agent by the Buffalo Sabres this week. 

Lehner, 26, started 50 games for Buffalo this season, posting a 14-26-9 record with a 3.01 goals-against average and a .908 save percentage. He spent the past two seasons as Buffalo's starting netminder, but the team saw his $4 million qualifying tender as too rich.

Custance writes Lehner would be an intriguing signing for the Red Wings since, if all goes well, he could take over the team's starting role once Howard's contract expires next July. 

I only trade Skinner to the Pens for a gross overpayment.  They dont have pieces that want to move that I would say is an overpayment.  Their prospect pool is fairly garbage and their picks are outside of top 20.  Why bother? 

If I was a guessing man, they are just trying to be able to sign Johnson and have room leftover to make a move at the deadline.

Edited by gocanes0506

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I think it ups the ante on the trade. If the GM loses the trade, the guy he traded away can light you up over and over, just rubbing it in. 

I could definitely see that happening with Skinner. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think it ups the ante on the trade. If the GM loses the trade the guy he trade away can light you up over and over. 

I could definitely see that happening with Skinner. 

On the flipside, Washington was trading their backup goaltender.  Every player in that room spent last season practicing with the guy and likely know how to beat him.  I'd almost think sending your backup to a division rival would be more positive than negative.  Skinner, on the other hand, yeah, he'd light the Canes up.  But if we're getting value for him (knowing it's JR we'd be dealing with and we all know he'd do his usual mortgaging routine for a player like Skinner), i'd have to think it's still worth it if Skinner isn't in the team's future.

7 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

With 1 possible exceptional circumstance, my view is the same.  I'm not buying into the "see him too many times a season" thing.  You're playing every team at least twice anyways, so you take a lesser return to avoid, what, maybe a total of an extra 60m of ice time spread over 3 games each season against your "ex"?  During which you're presumably better given the optimal return you got?

The (rare) exception imo might be if it's one of those trades that not only helps both teams, but uniquely helps someone you're likely to be competing with for a playoff spot in a way it would be hard for them to otherwise accomplish. E.g., let's say we had 2 legit starting level goalies (ha!) and needed to move one to free up cap space because Tavares wanted to jump on the rising Canes express (ha again!).  I'm not trading one to Buffalo unless it's a gross overpayment; let them settle for the mediocre level talent that is otherwise likely available on the goalie market.

There's a principle that most people fear the.risk of a loss more than valuing the benefit of an even bigger win.  I'm guessing that's what's behind the "don't trade within your Division" rule.

Edited by LakeLivin

Penns are going to sign Jack Johnson to a 5 year deal.  The term is rumored to be pretty decent at 3-3.5 million.  5 years seems about 3 years too long. At least Rutherford got his drafted defender in the end.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

Grubauer for our 2nd rounder could be construed as helping us get better short term while maybe helping Washington out in the long term.  Washington has to battle us for a playoff spot.  They're not going to help us get better.

Colorado offered them the 47th overall.  We had the 42nd overall to offer.  I'd guess Washington didn't think 5 picks later in the second round was a big deal.  Plus they already owned the 46th overall so 42nd and 46th or 46th and 47th.

Seeing where Oilers are trying to trade Sekera, possibly for Faulk. I always liked Sekera when he was here, and even though older, wonder IF he could pair with Hamilton and offer the defensive coverage Dougie seems to need? Of course, don't think a straight 1 for 1 would be fair, and I think we'd need something else, possibly a high pick or decent prospect?

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Rumored that Cam is going to Chicago

Listening to XM just now, they said Bernier or Ward to Chicago. Not sure who the host was, but they thought Bernier was much better but maybe not affordable for Chicago. They were not high on Lehner at all. Seemed to have the most positive opinion of Hutton. Anderson not mentioned as they were talking about free agents. Also no mention of Carolina needing a goalie. Shocker!