The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

6 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

What is the deal with being scared of trading within the division if that gives you the best return? 

I see nothing wrong with trading within the division. I was hoping the canes could worked out a deal for Grubauer and Wilson.

20 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Seeing where Oilers are trying to trade Sekera, possibly for Faulk. I always liked Sekera when he was here, and even though older, wonder IF he could pair with Hamilton and offer the defensive coverage Dougie seems to need? Of course, don't think a straight 1 for 1 would be fair, and I think we'd need something else, possibly a high pick or decent prospect?

A month or so ago I posted that Sekera is a guy we should push for. He's  the grey beard leadership I'd  like to see. He's  a shutdown DMan without an offensive add but his experience would be a great add for us. He's  pricey and coming off an injury but I'd like to see him back in Carolina. A shut down guy can only help our goalie situation.  Last year was a shooting gallery on our 2 goalies.

Edited by slapshot02

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Seeing where Oilers are trying to trade Sekera, possibly for Faulk. I always liked Sekera when he was here, and even though older, wonder IF he could pair with Hamilton and offer the defensive coverage Dougie seems to need? Of course, don't think a straight 1 for 1 would be fair, and I think we'd need something else, possibly a high pick or decent prospect?

I was a big fan of Sekera and hoped we could have kept him, but  I am not sure he makes sense now. He has three more years on his deal, he’s 32, and he has a no movement clause. He was injured last year. 

If he is still skating and playing like he did when he was here, he would be an upgrade over our best option on left-handed D, But assuming Jake Bean is ready for the NHL next year at least, we would have too many left-handed defensemen and it would be difficult to trade Sekera due to the no movement clause. 

I think the ideal thing would be to find a left-handed defenseman who is good with only one year left on his deal. Or one that does not have a no trade clause. Somebody to help us get through this year until Jake Bean is hopefully ready, and Hayden Fleury is even better.

I will say this: I like the player and he would make us very strong on D this year.

Slavin-Pesce

Sekera-Hamilton

Fleury-TVR

That would be very formidable Just have to figure out how to work in Bean and even maybe Fox in a year with 2 years left on Sekera’s deal.

21 minutes ago, remkin said:

I will say this: I like the player and he would make us very strong on D this year.

Slavin-Pesce

Sekera-Hamilton

Fleury-TVR

That would be very formidable. Just have to figure out how to work in being and ho that would be very formidable. Just have to figure out how to work in Bean and even maybe Fox in a year with 2 years left on Sekera’s deal.

If Bean is not rushed  he will be a star defenseman for the canes .  I do see him and Fox being a Tandem in the future which leaves me wondering what will happen to Fleury  who plays a more defensive d-man style of  hockey and both Bean and Fox are  both Two way / Offensive Defensemen   

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Slavin-Pesce

Sekera-Hamilton

Fleury-TVR

That would be very formidable Just have to figure out how to work in Bean and even maybe Fox in a year with 2 years left on Sekera’s deal.

So, saying that rem, would you trade for him? Chancy, but in my opinion, we need and do not have someone to maximize our investment in Hamilton. So, do we go for it, getting more experience in the locker room and on D corps, or do we risk the other way with neophytes?

I don’t want to get older if we trade Faulk, and any deal involving Sekera better include a lot more for Faulk.

Sekera is getting old, has been injury prone as of late, and is not on a good contract.

Definite pass.

1 minute ago, Kyrule said:

I don’t want to get older if we trade Faulk, and any deal involving Sekera better include a lot more for Faulk.

Sekera is getting old, has been injury prone as of late, and is not on a good contract.

Definite pass.

Maybe Kyrule, and to some extent, I agree. My point though is that we've got a lot invested in Dougie right, if for no other reason than giving up 2 high draft picks to do it. If Sekera can maximize it, AND WE DON"T FEEL THAT ANYONE WE HAVE CAN, than would it not be worth  the investment?

coastal, how many times have posters on here debated, sometimes vehemently, the importance of the +/- figure? Have to look at who he played for to know its relevance, just saying.

Sekera played well here, course that's eons ago. Likely lost a step or two and was injured. Hamilton has been said to need a shutdown defensive pairing, or our investment in him is negated. If not Sekera, than someone of his ilk?

I wonder why the Canes are not making a move on Hutton yet ? you hear of all of these other teams Contacting the man and not a single word from the canes camp . What is going on here ?  I see Ward is getting talks from other teams .

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I wonder why the Canes are not making a move on Hutton yet ? you hear of all of these other teams Contacting the man and not a single word from the canes camp . What is going on here ?  I see Ward is getting talks from other teams .

Patience grass hopper.

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Patience grass hopper.

I know I know I know .   SMH  Im just worried that  we are looking at another of  year of  "  woulda coulda shoulda's "  and missing out on  positions that need to be fixed .  Mainly Goalie . 

12 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I know I know I know .   SMH  Im just worried that  we are looking at another of  year of  "  woulda coulda shoulda's "  and missing out on  positions that need to be fixed .  Mainly Goalie . 

True that, and the season goes up in flames it seems if we cannot secure a reasonable goalie, but I've GOT TO BELIEVE that all moves are not out in the open. Fretting gets us no closer?

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I believe it was said that up to 8 teams are interested in Hutton, and Carolina was said to be among them. Watching the NHL Network they were saying Hutton’s desire to be a #1 vs. his contentment with being a 1a/1b type goalie will have a lot to do with where he ends up.  I have heard the Islanders are looking at acquiring Anderson or Howard. They might be willing to take on an older goalie because they supposedly have a very good goalie in the KHL but he has to fulfill his contract which runs another year or two.

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Maybe Kyrule, and to some extent, I agree. My point though is that we've got a lot invested in Dougie right, if for no other reason than giving up 2 high draft picks to do it. If Sekera can maximize it, AND WE DON"T FEEL THAT ANYONE WE HAVE CAN, than would it not be worth  the investment?

coastal, how many times have posters on here debated, sometimes vehemently, the importance of the +/- figure? Have to look at who he played for to know its relevance, just saying.

Sekera played well here, course that's eons ago. Likely lost a step or two and was injured. Hamilton has been said to need a shutdown defensive pairing, or our investment in him is negated. If not Sekera, than someone of his ilk?

Sekera has three years remaining at 5.5 million AAV (almost the same as Hamilton) and I believe there is a modified no movement/trade clause involved. I think there are better options out there, younger, more cost appropriate options. If we move Faulk, that’s not the kind of return I’m looking for. I would prefer he be moved for a different type of assett. There is also free agency to address this issue (if it is an issue). Guys like Moore, de Haan, Cole, and Hickey might be options. All LHD that play a more defensive game and are younger.

Play Hamilton with Slavin and I don’t anticipate a problem. If we want to keep Slavin and Pesce together (which I admit is my preference) then that changes things but as it stands right now we have six NHL defensmen (assuming TVR is signed). 

Whoever plays with Hamilton will need to play big minutes and I think Fleury and TVR are set more as a bottom pair, which leaves Faulk. I’m not sure I want Faulk and Hamilton out there as a pairing. I think we will see more moves before the season starts and the picture will become clearer. 

I do anticipate Faulk will be moved and the need for a top 4 LHD may present itself, but honestly Sekera just isn’t my preference. I would address this need in another way via trade or through free agency. Also, it is easier to obtain a LHD than a RHD which is why we need to maximize the return on Faulk.

Edited by Kyrule

I don’t think I do the trade of Faulk for Sekera  straight up,  but if Edmonton sweetened the pot pie be worth looking at. My main concern is that I have not been watching him and don’t know how his age is translating to his game. There has been a call for a graybeard on the D and Sakura at 32 would qualify. 

I’m pretty sure the comment about plus minus was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I’ll bite. Sequerra is a decent example of how the +/- stat is not that  useful for most players. Last year he only played 30 some games and was injured. This was on a very bad team. One could look at those 30 games and see if there was a disproportionate number of blowouts but I don’t have enough time to care about that. The other thing though is that the previous year he was number three on his team at + 14,  something Faulk has never even been down the street and around the corner from the neighborhood of.  Comparing say 4 years of Faulk vs Sekera +/-  reveals the difference between a Soso plus minus and a horrid one.

If these two guys were anywhere near the same age I would take Sekera every time. 

I agree with the Issue of contract length and modified no trade clause or a issue combined  with the potential injury and age issue.  But if the Oilers threw something else into the pot it would be worth at least looking at if the man is healthy.

If we're looking to Edmonton for an LHD i'd rather get Darnell Nurse over Sekera any day of the week, though he wouldn't solve the desire for a greybeard and i'm not sure Faulk alone would be enough to get him.  Some kind of a package based around those two, though, would be quite tasty IMO.  Wonder if they'd like Darling...

• Like 1

Another issue is what is Faulk’s actual trade value? I agree  that Sekera  it’s not anybody’s first choice to replace Faulk But what if the offers just aren’t that good for him? Assuming he’s healthy and hasn’t lost a major step, Sekera may well be  straight up better than Faulk even with the age difference. 

Then we have the fact that at least this year we need left-handed defense more, and the changing of the guard issue in terms of changing the face of the team. 

There is still the length of his term, but in terms of who would rather have on this team this year?  Sekera if healthy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

Another issue is what is Faulk’s actual trade value?

Last summer was the 'sell high' window for Faulk.  I don't think he brings back much now, unless other GMs think he just had a down-season and can get it back next year on their team.  I do think if he stays here another season and turns in another season like he just did, we'll be lucky to get a 4th for him.

• Like 1

Thought is the Canes are in on Ryan O’Reilly. Just hockey thoughts by the usual suspects not even a solid rumor as of yet. The price for O'Reilly is thought to be high and will get higher after July 1 if Slugs have to pay his bonus.

LeBrun said he’s heard the asking price is “a first-round pick, a second-round pick and a very good prospect.”

Habs and Blues also rumored to have interest

Instead of trading for O'Reilly why not just go after JVR? I know we need a center but he wouldn't cost any assets & his bro is here. Just saying.

Edited by rocheccw

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

LeBrun said he’s heard the asking price is “a first-round pick, a second-round pick and a very good prospect.”

Then ....no.  7.5 Mill per.  This would make him the highest paid player on the team by a fair amount.  And yes I know you have to pay to play.

Edited by cc

20 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Instead of trading for O'Reilly why not just go after JVR? I know we need a center but he wouldn't cost any assets & his bro is here. Just saying.

I choose ROR over JVR because of the position and value of the contract.

ROR will have a higher salary by 500k to 1 million but JVR will start to fall off in production by year 4 based on age.  It could start as early as year 3.  There is a very good chance ROR will live up to the value of his deal through the remaining of his 5 years.

I'm not overly fond of ROR for 5 more years.  I feel that come year 3 he will be blocking a roster spot (yes we could trade him at that point).  Necas and Aho, presumably, will be ready to take over center by that point and we Wallmark, Kuok, Geekie, Roy, Eetu, and possible Drury that will be looking for center spots in the next 1-3 years. If he doesnt live up to the billing, ROR will become hard to move.  I will be happy if he is added.

I would go for someone that has 2 years left on their deal or that could move to center after a year or two. Larkin comes to mind. 

16 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Listening to XM just now, they said Bernier or Ward to Chicago. Not sure who the host was, but they thought Bernier was much better but maybe not affordable for Chicago. They were not high on Lehner at all. Seemed to have the most positive opinion of Hutton. Anderson not mentioned as they were talking about free agents. Also no mention of Carolina needing a goalie. Shocker!

Blackhawks looked at Ward, Huttonn and Bernier. They aren't sure how Crawford will be, looking for insurance, but will be at training camp.

https://www.nhl.com/news/report-ward-others-drawing-interest-from-blackhawks/c-299312394

Edited by hopper915

20 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Blackhawks looked at Ward, Huttonn and Bernier. They aren't sure how Crawford will be, looking for insurance, but will be at training camp.

https://www.nhl.com/news/report-ward-others-drawing-interest-from-blackhawks/c-299312394

I wish they were looking at bringing Darling back.  Still hoping he proves me wrong but i have absolutely zero confidence in him, though he did seem to have some magic in Chicago.