The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

I would pay that price for ROR. Make the second rounder in two years to split it up. We have several good prospects. I would not trade Bean and obviously not Necas or Svechnikov, but after that pick one. 

We we have enough assets that even trading one we can likely trade someone to get back imto the 1st round, but especially if Fox signs we can get by without those picks.

This deal would still let us move Faulk and if need be Skinner. 

ROR gives us some more veteran grit and scoring, and lots of options at center. Add a decent goalie and this team is looking pretty solid this year and should only get better in years to come. 

Leaving Skinner or his return out of it, we have 4 forwards with All Star potential including at least one with top 10-20 potential in Necas-Svechnikov-Aho-TT. Then add very solid two way centers in Staal an ROR. That is a pretty nice top 6. Heck, if we somehow kept Skinner or even one year, add Skinner and Williams and that is an amazing top 8.

The only big downside would be no room for our other prospects. I really want to see Foegele and Zykov this year and still hold out hope for Gauthier, Kouk, and others. 

But ROR gives this team a chance to win now even as the young guys develop

On 6/27/2018 at 8:46 AM, sleekfeeder said:

Does anyone have a feel for Maenalanen's role with the team next year? Is he sure to suit up? or is he another pony in the prospect pool?

well, there's this, from Chip's write-up in the N&O when we acquired him:

Maenalanen, a fifth-round draft pick by the Nashville Predators in 2013, was a teammate of Canes forward Sebastian Aho in the Karpat system and played with Carolina forward Teuvo Teravainen for Finland in the 2014 World Junior Championship.

22 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

What is the deal with being scared of trading within the division if that gives you the best return?  Is Skinner going to give state secrets to the Pens?  I have never understood this tendency. 

It's about not enabling teams which could potentially block your path to the playoffs - because you play them most - do so, with somebody you gave up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

he appears to be their top choice to fill the team's vacant backup role behind Jimmy Howard.

That doesn't mean they're his top choice. And he holds all the cards.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

If we're looking to Edmonton for an LHD i'd rather get Darnell Nurse over Sekera any day of the week, though he wouldn't solve the desire for a greybeard and i'm not sure Faulk alone would be enough to get him.  Some kind of a package based around those two, though, would be quite tasty IMO.  Wonder if they'd like Darling...

It'd be nice. But I seriously doubt Edmonton gives up Nurse.

2 hours ago, rocheccw said:

Instead of trading for O'Reilly why not just go after JVR? I know we need a center but he wouldn't cost any assets & his bro is here.

You answer your own question. We don't need an LW, we need a C, and we finally have an owner who will spend for the right player.

I see bringing brothers together as a potential negative as much as a possible positive. Family connections should never drive personnel decisions.  

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

ROR is a pipe dream guys...Montreal is going to throw the bank at getting him and, even if they don’t get him, there’s gonna be a bidding war...and we aren’t a desirable destination...yet

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's about not enabling teams which could potentially block your path to the playoffs - because you play them most - do so, with somebody you gave up.

But if you get the best quality in return on a trade, doesn't that help your chances?

FYI, I have heard that next years draft is one of the deepest in years.  I think you want to keep picks, esp your 1st.  Just something I have heard a few times on XM over the last few months.

I’ll just add this on the side of getting ROR or at least wanting him vs a UFA. He has five more years on his deal and he is 27 peak years for most forwards He will be about 32 at the end of his deal. Most UFAAs are 30ish and looking for at least seven years beyond that, being closer to 37 at the end of their deals.

21 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

But if you get the best quality in return on a trade, doesn't that help your chances?

Of course it does. I'm not questioning your logic. But you asked why it's a thing. The plumage logic don't enter into it.

GMs don't want to be seen as enabling their own club's failure. They believe the odds of that happening are better if they play more often against guys they've traded. In terms of pure probability, they're right. If Skins leaves with a chip on his shoulder, playing him four or six times a year gives him more than the two chances he'd have to hurt you if he was with, say, LA.

If Malkin were the return for Skinner, which guy do you think would be more motivated to prove something against his old team? I think that's a key question, because elite players rise to the occasion. There isn't much Malkin hasn't already achieved. Skinner has been through the wringer with this org and of the two, I think is the far more likely one to say to himself, "This is the thanks I get? I'll show them..." 

Edited by top-shelf-1

18 minutes ago, hag65 said:

FYI, I have heard that next years draft is one of the deepest in years.  I think you want to keep picks, esp your 1st.  Just something I have heard a few times on XM over the last few months.

Plus expansion looms...

From TSN:

LeBrun reports Carter Hutton, the top UFA goalie available, is the leading option to join the Buffalo Sabres, while Jonathan Bernier is likely headed to the Detroit Red Wings. LeBrun said Wednesday veteran Cam Ward appeared to headed Chicago Blackhawks and said that still appears likely at this time.

Hutton, 32, posted a 17-7-3 record this past season with a .931 save percentage and a 2.09 goals-against average - both career-highs. He's listed at No. 10 on the TSN Top UFA list and first among goalies.

Bernier, 29, is listed on at No. 15 on the Top UFA list and posted a 19-13-3 record this past season with the Colorado Avalanche. He finished the year with a .913 save percentage and a .285 goals-against average.

Finally, Ward appears set to move on after spending his entire career with the Carolina Hurricanes. He's listed at No. 67 on the Top UFA list after recording a 23-14-4 with a .906 save percentage this season.

So maybe Lehner could be back in play?  

9 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

I hope we're not low-balling UFA goalies. Carolina should be preferable to Buffalo for Hutton, unless it's the $$$ or a possible 1A-1B with Darling. 

Should that be the case, "decision by committee" very possibly is undermining this entire year, unless Darling turns out to be The Seventh Wonder of the world?

27 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Carolina should be preferable to Buffalo for Hutton, unless it's the $$$ or a possible 1A-1B with Darling. 

Like I said before, it may come down to wanting to be the guy. Free agent goalies know we have 12 million committed to Darling over the next three years and that we are going to “try to get the best out of that assett” (as per TD).

Hutton knows he can go to Buffalo or the Isles and be the #1. Other goalies know this too. Here we have the Darling problem.

Weekes on NHL-Network had a good analogy for the goalie free agent market. He said it’s like a game of musical chairs, some will be left without a job when the music stops. We may have to wait for a few dominos to fall before we have our pick, I don’t think money is the issue.

As a side note I still have zero confidence in Darling.

Edited by Kyrule

9 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Hutton knows he can go to Buffalo or the Isles and be the #1. Other goalies know this too. Here we have the Darling problem.

If he is afraid of Darling standing in his way I don't want him.  But your point is not without merit.

15 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I wonder why the Canes are not making a move on Hutton yet ? you hear of all of these other teams Contacting the man and not a single word from the canes camp . What is going on here ?  I see Ward is getting talks from other teams .

I think we are still in it. The question is how much does the committee want to add on top of Darling's 4.15 mil salary for goalies. IMO we cannot scrimp on goalie salary as we may not be better off than last year if we go cheap on another goalie other than Hutton. Hutton is coming off the best season of his career, so he's likely to cost a lot more than Khudobin (especially in terms of years) as an unrestricted free agent. Hutton has reportedly heard from eight teams, including the Blues, with the Red Wings and Hurricanes also in that group. The indication is that he seeks a deal for three or more years, which may ultimately be too much of a commitment for the Bruins.

8 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Can't open, help!!!

Darren DregerVerified account @DarrenDreger
As per Joe Resnick, agent for Rick Nash, Rick remains undecided on playing next season and will forego the July 1st signing period.