The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

Erik Karlsson – Ottawa Senators

The superstar defenseman remains the biggest name in this summer’s trade market. While the Senators hope to open contract extension talks, it’s anticipated he could reject their proposals. If so, they could have little choice but to move him for the best available offer.

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun recently reported the Vegas Golden Knights, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals and San Jose Sharks showed “varying degrees of interest.” The Senators aren’t interested in a lowball return for Karlsson and could also attempt to package high-salaried right wing Bobby Ryan in the deal.

Just now, slapshot02 said:
Erik Karlsson – Ottawa Senators

The superstar defenseman remains the biggest name in this summer’s trade market. While the Senators hope to open contract extension talks, it’s anticipated he could reject their proposals. If so, they could have little choice but to move him for the best available offer.

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun recently reported the Vegas Golden Knights, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals and San Jose Sharks showed “varying degrees of interest.” The Senators aren’t interested in a lowball return for Karlsson and could also attempt to package high-salaried right wing Bobby Ryan in the deal.

I have seen our name pop up a few times in relation to Karlsson.  I dont see him being added.  I can see us being the one stuck with Ryan with Faulk going to the Sens.  I think something where Karlsson goes to LV.  We get Ryan (20% retained by LV) and other parts (hopefully Subban and the rights to Theodore). Sens get Faulk, a 1st round pick from LV, and young guy from LV

27 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I have seen our name pop up a few times in relation to Karlsson.  I dont see him being added.  I can see us being the one stuck with Ryan with Faulk going to the Sens.  I think something where Karlsson goes to LV.  We get Ryan (20% retained by LV) and other parts (hopefully Subban and the rights to Theodore). Sens get Faulk, a 1st round pick from LV, and young guy from LV

That would be a deal I could live with 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I will buy you a beer if that happens

Posts off Blackhawks forum. Some are pretty interesting/funny.

Jay ZawaskiVerified account @JayZawaski670 3m3 minutes ago
As I reported in last night's @MadhousePod, the Blackhawks are interested in former Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward. I'm told this morning, from a separate source, that an agreement may already be in the works/close. Ward, 34, had a 2.74 GAA and .906 save percentage in 43 games w/ CAR

No doubt Hutton is looking for too much that the Hawks are not willing to give him.  Ward has always been a good goaltender and for a 1 or 2 year term at 1 to 2 million would not be too bad.  Hopefully Hossa's contract goes the other way.  Maybe more players in the deal.  There was bit of talk that Carolina wanted Crawford but whether the Hawks move him or not or even if Crawford is still even able to play any more and no guarantee that Crawford will ever again be able to play up to or even be half the goaltender he was.  Injuries do take their toll.

Well, if the Hawks were to acquire Cam Ward, they'd eliminate that one game that Ward "steals" from the Hawks seemingly every season. 

Edited by hopper915

55 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Something like that would round out our off season?? I'd do back flips if this ever came to pass, yet we did move from 11 to 2 in draft? 

14 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Posts off Blackhawks forum. Some are pretty interesting/funny.

Jay ZawaskiVerified account @JayZawaski670 3m3 minutes ago
As I reported in last night's @MadhousePod, the Blackhawks are interested in former Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward. I'm told this morning, from a separate source, that an agreement may already be in the works/close. Ward, 34, had a 2.74 GAA and .906 save percentage in 43 games w/ CAR

No doubt Hutton is looking for too much that the Hawks are not willing to give him.  Ward has always been a good goaltender and for a 1 or 2 year term at 1 to 2 million would not be too bad.  Hopefully Hossa's contract goes the other way.  Maybe more players in the deal.  There was bit of talk that Carolina wanted Crawford but whether the Hawks move him or not or even if Crawford is still even able to play any more and no guarantee that Crawford will ever again be able to play up to or even be half the goaltender he was.  Injuries do take their toll.

Well, if the Hawks were to acquire Cam Ward, they'd eliminate that one game that Ward "steals" from the Hawks seemingly every season. 

No...Like I said earlier, Im all for Cam signing with Chicago, then we trade Mongo back to the Hawks for him (after we go get a #1 goalie)

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Hawks are revamping their efforts to move Hossa's deal.

Im sure we'll pop back up in the conversations.

Hossa's contract better come with the Fountain of youth with it  so that Hossa can take that and come out of retirement and play for the Canes lol  . Other wise stay away from that mess .   The only way I would take on Hossas  contract is if and only if we were getting Patrick Kane to go along with it !

Edited by Canesfanforever

So it looks like Rick Nash may sit out next season due to all his health issues...if

true, and law of supply/demand holds out, the price for UFA/trade forwards is about to go even higher 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Hossa's contract better come with the Fountain of youth with it  so that Hossa can take that and come out of retirement and play for the Canes lol  . Other wise stay away from that mess .   The only way I would take on Hossas  contract is if and only if we were getting Patrick Kane to go along with it !

Of course we're not taking Hossa alone, Cff, and Chicago doesn't think anyone is ignorant enough to do so!! This charade is merely a salary dump of a player who likely will never play again, but the enticement will be what Chicago is willing to incorporate with him. To a team such as the Canes, with tons of Cap space, the obvious ploy is to pick up a useless player, keep him on your books until his contract expires, in Hossa's case I believe that's several years, but his actual salary is not his Cap hit. In return, we would have to get a decent player, but if you would require Kane, than forget about that. Chicago meanwhile gets some Cap room. 

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Of course we're not taking Hossa alone, Cff, and Chicago doesn't think anyone is ignorant enough to do so!! This charade is merely a salary dump of a player who likely will never play again, but the enticement will be what Chicago is willing to incorporate with him.

We already did kind that with Bickell and TT. But with our pipeline in CLT we need a guy who could contribute now. 

Edited by Bonivan
Addition

I forgot to mention this a few days ago, but it looks like Neal, Perron, and Reaves might not be back with Vegas and will test the free agent market.

I would love to take a shot at Neal but I think he is looking for around 6.5 to 7 AAV over 5 or more years.

I like Neal’s game but that contract is too risky for me. I don’t think he will get 7 per year, nor do I think he will get that kind of term but we see it every year. If his expectations/demands lessen, then I think we need to talk to him.

I’ll pass on Perron and Reaves.

Edited by Kyrule

5 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I think we're set on RW, with TT/Williams/Svechnikov.  A center or left wing or bust.

5 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I think we're set on RW, with TT/Williams/Svechnikov.  A center or left wing or bust.

TT is one of those forwards that can skate either left or right wing and center for that matter.

A few Chip Alexander’s tweets.

”we didn’t have any contact with Tavares.”

“DW said 100% Darling will be on the team next year. Will add a goalie, probably through Free Agency. Talked to 5 or 6 goalies this week.”

“Skinner situation is ongoing. We’ve had decent to good offers. Haven’t gotten comfortable yet.”

Edited by gocanes0506

Can you imagine after all this trade chatter coming from our front office if Skinner isn't traded.

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Can you imagine after all this trade chatter coming from our front office if Skinner isn't traded.

Its hard to imagine chatter from our FO at all. Needless to say chatter that isn’t about 4th liners and 7th defenders.

I am far from a capologist, so I don,t really have a feel for what it would look like to try to fit Skinner into th long term financial plan, but I would love to keep Skinner. What he could do with so many other weapons out there could be impressive; and oh what firepower.we’d have.

Outside of a long term contract considerations, I wonder if Skinner could be turned around on staying in Raleigh being on a really good team.

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

I wonder if Skinner could be turned around on staying in Raleigh being on a really good team.

Winning does wonders

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Winning does wonders

More than winning OBXer, as we have heard more than a few times, players WANT to run thru brick walls for Rod. I'm counting on that attribute to be the hidden factor in much of this.

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Neal is a LW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

“Skinner situation is ongoing. We’ve had decent to good offers. Haven’t gotten comfortable yet.”

If they have had good offers and aren't comfortable yet it sounds like they won't move him unless his value rises and they can get more. His value may rise as some of the UFA's get signed. IMO he won't be moved unless the good offers become exceptional offers.