The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

There is no real reason we have to move Skinner now.  We could move him before the trade deadline.  Maybe we'll be better and all parties have a change of heart. 

• Like 5

Agree with HAG. Don't need to trade Skinner now. IF he has a contract year season, and we're out of the playoff chase again we can be moved for better assets to a team he wants to do to (ie Toronto) at the trade deadline if he does not want to be here anymore. IF we make the playoffs and Skinner has a contract year season, we benefit.

• Like 2

Agree with both. The final dominoes, or questions to be answered are:

What happens with Faulk? If and when we trade, what do we get?

Do we do anything in FA? Who's going to be on the bench with Mongo?

It seems to me there is only one move we have to make: get another goalie. 

And one move we ought to make: moving Faulk, Possibly for a left-handed defenseman. ( several reasons but one is having four right-handed defensemen that need to play) 

Personally, I would only move Skinner if we got back serious veteran scoring punch, unless we get that in UFA.

It might be fun if we make other moves, but really to me moving Faulk  and getting a goalie would be enough.

• Like 1

With the goalie situation do we try to get a guy at a short contract (i.e. 2 years)?  

The goalie market is much stronger next year with Rinne, MAF, Varlamov, and Bobrovsky.  

In case Darling craps the bed again, we buy him out and then sign an actual number one.  The current signee will backup for a year and then hopefully Ned, Booth or Helvig can take that person's spot.  If Darling does well then you have a solid tandem for a 2nd year.  

If the rumors are true, and SJ and TOR are the closest to landing JT, if it ends up being TOR, I wonder if that would make any of their other players "more trade-able"?

Say Faulk +++ for Nylander? No way they can keep all of those high end players, could they?

Faulk is such a wart right now.

Edited by sleekfeeder

The two big things remaining to address the off-season are moving Faulk and shoring up the goalie situation. I am not as concerned with the overall payroll on D, but too much tied up in RHD unless Brindi is happy with one of their offside play plus we need to make some room for prospects.

For personal reasons, namely the depression level of some children,  I hope Skinner doesn't go anywhere. Flipping on my hockey GM switch, I would only move Jeff for a #1 goalie, gross/obscene overpayment, or if he has clearly made it known he has checked out of this team. In the last situation I would pursue an even swap with Columbus for Panarin.

4 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

The two big things remaining to address the off-season are moving Faulk and shoring up the goalie situation. I am not as concerned with the overall payroll on D, but too much tied up in RHD unless Brindi is happy with one of their offside play plus we need to make some room for prospects.

For personal reasons, namely the depression level of some children,  I hope Skinner doesn't go anywhere. Flipping on my hockey GM switch, I would only move Jeff for a #1 goalie, gross/obscene overpayment, or if he has clearly made it known he has checked out of this team. In the last situation I would pursue an even swap with Columbus for Panarin.

Panarin reportedly wants to go to a big market. He is also twice the player Skinner is so that’s not going to happen.

I'm not behind the trade Skinner movement but there could be a good reason to trade now.  If we think, I suspect we already have a good idea, that we won't be able to re-sign Skinner on our terms or if we think Skinner wants to move on no matter what at the end of next season then trade him now. Although he could be traded at deadline what if we are in a playoff position.Do you trade at the risk of giving up the hunt? Will your return be as high at trade deadline? probable not. Do you then keep him at trade deadline to run at the playoffs even if you are sure he will walk at the end of next season?

If we think we can re-sign him then why trade him? I wouldn't. If we think he is a goner then trade him now.

I saw one of those “I have a friend of a friend who is in the organization” type posts somewhere, and they said that we are negotiating with Lehner.

I put zero stock in this but who knows. With Hutton likely going to Buffalo and Bernier likely going to Detroit, it may be one of our better options remaining, or simply a better option overall.

50 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I saw one of those “I have a friend of a friend who is in the organization” type posts somewhere, and they said that we are negotiating with Lehner.

I put zero stock in this but who knows. With Hutton likely going to Buffalo and Bernier likely going to Detroit, it may be one of our better options remaining, or simply a better option overall.

Also have seen Lehtenan" name floated, particularly with his connection to Waddell thru Thrashers.

2 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

If the rumors are true, and SJ and TOR are the closest to landing JT, if it ends up being TOR, I wonder if that would make any of their other players "more trade-able"?

Say Faulk +++ for Nylander? No way they can keep all of those high end players, could they?

Faulk is such a wart right now.

Toronto could get it done even if they signed JT but it will be at the upper limits. I have to think that at least one or two of Bozak(UFA), JVR(UFA), Nylander(RFA) have to go. Crazy Toronto fans not overjoyed with Nylander, the kid is only 22!  Toronto did give him a QO and may bridge him around 6.5 mil for 2 years. I'd guess that Bozak and JVR will be gone if JT is acquired. 

I was surprised he only got 650k being  the goal scoring leader in the AHL.  I figured it would have been closer to 900k.  When talking in millions 250k is nothing. To Zykov it is big different.  

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

When talking in millions 250k is nothing.

How do you think rich people get rich?  The only one of us that can talk in terms like that is Fat Stacks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

How do you think rich people get rich?  The only one of us that can talk in terms like that is Fat Stacks.

I will delete my comment for record before we get into Fat Stacks discussions again ???