The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

It keeps saying Zykov signed a two year contract but doesn’t say if it is a one-way or two-way deal. I’m assuming one-way then because it didn’t talk about pay at the AHL level. 

Either way that is pretty cheap considering the potential Zykov has shown to this point.

Im the same way Kyrule.  assume it is a one way deal since it doesnt mention an AHL salary.  That may have kept his salary number down but guaranteeing him a roster spot.

I wonder if dollar value or a one-way/two-deal is holding up wallmark.  I assume the later.

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

It keeps saying Zykov signed a two year contract but doesn’t say if it is a one-way or two-way deal. I’m assuming one-way then because it didn’t talk about pay at the AHL level. 

Either way that is pretty cheap considering the potential Zykov has shown to this point.

It's a one-way.

http://gocheckers.com/articles/transactions/hurricanes-sign-valentin-zykov-to-one-way-contract

Edited by realmdrakkar
edited to add link
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Now that we all know going forward that Darling will be back in net  this coming season . Who will be the back up ? Neddy ???

No, we will get a FA from somewhere, or, trade a late round pick for Varlomov or Anderson.  Neds isn't ready, according to Waddell on Adam and Joe show last week.  He needs a full AHL season under his belt.

Edited by ironman87

19 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

No, we will get a FA from somewhere, or, trade a late round pick for Varlomov or Anderson.  Neds isn't ready, according to Waddell on Adam and Joe show last week.  He needs a full AHL season under his belt.

I would have figured  for Ned  .  Varlomov   is okay I guess .  as for Anderson im not sold on him . 

Man with Daugherty and Carlson’s contracts, pesce, Hamilton, and Slavin’s contracts look like gold.  

Faulk’s should be fairly enticing as well to another team. 

I’m really nervous about the goalie situation. I’m pulling for Darling to get it together, but if he doesn’t, he’s not really even a viable backup if we are to be a playoff caliber team. And it seems like the UFA options, including Ward, are mostly heading elsewhere. Aside from playing in front of a full house, I don’t get why Buffalo is a more appealing option for Hutton, except they must have offered better contract terms.  Ned’s record in the A last year says he might be a viable backup, but his save percentage says otherwise.

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I would have figured  for Ned  .  Varlomov   is okay I guess .  as for Anderson im not sold on him . 

Varlomov and Anderson are under existing contracts. DW has stated that they are looking at FA's for their next move, I guess he can change course and go the trade route if FA's don't work out.  If the top available UFA's are signed elsewhere quickly and trades are not available for us, does it make sense to move Ward and settle for a lesser questionable available  UFA? 

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Varlomov and Anderson are under existing contracts. DW has stated that they are looking at FA's for their next move, I guess he can change course and go the trade route if FA's don't work out.  If the top available UFA's are signed elsewhere quickly and trades are not available for us, does it make sense to move Ward and settle for a lesser questionable available  UFA? 

No  .  Because Ward  is already gone  by tomorrow  to the blackhawks  and  the whole point of this off season was to address the goalie problem  and not add to it . By getting players that are  " better " than what we have .   If  the Canes  can't fix that  area then maybe there is a reason why no one would want to come here .   It might be more of a internal thing than  a surface problem .  The canes are sitting  comfortably with a ton of cap space and  if the plan is to do nothing with it than how exactly  do the canes fix that ? Simple answer is  they don't  .  Getting Svechnikov  is  a start  but lets be realistic .   There has been zero reports of the Canes going after anybody .   It might be because of the whole Tavares   issue but that still does not answer why the canes are being lame ducks  when  you hear reports everyday about  teams going after this goalie or that goalie and nothing from the canes camp , only hearsay   on these forums .    I'd hate to see  our future assets be used  for trade bait  just to  get 1 guy  . Obviously  Faulk and Skinner are still on the trade block and no teams are making a push for either one . Why  would they when they can pick  Skinner up next year ?   And I dont see many people looking at Faulk  like  some prized Defenseman  that they need to add to their team this year .   The canes are in a worse scenario than they were last year because  what we have is either to valuable to  trade for or  not valuable at all  .   and no Ward .  And I dont see  Waddell coming to save this team  .   

Edited by Canesfanforever

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

No  .  Because Ward  is already gone  by tomorrow  to the blackhawks  and  the whole point of this off season was to address the goalie problem  and not add to it . By getting players that are  " better " than what we have .   If  the Canes  can't fix that  area then maybe there is a reason why no one would want to come here .   It might be more of a internal thing than  a surface problem .  The canes are sitting  comfortably with a ton of cap space and  if the plan is to do nothing with it than how exactly  do the canes fix that ? Simple answer is  they don't  .  Getting Svechnikov  is  a start  but lets be realistic .   There has been zero reports of the Canes going after anybody .   It might be because of the whole Tavares   issue but that still does not answer why the canes are being lame ducks  when  you hear reports everyday about  teams going after this goalie or that goalie and nothing from the canes camp , only hearsay   on these forums .    I'd hate to see  our future assets be used  for trade bait  just to  get 1 guy  . Obviously  Faulk and Skinner are still on the trade block and no teams are making a push for either one . Why  would they when they can pick  Skinner up next year ?   And I dont see many people looking at Faulk  like  some prized Defenseman  that they need to add to their team this year .   The canes are in a worse scenario than they were last year because  what we have is either to valuable to  trade for or  not valuable at all  .   and no Ward .  And I dont see  Waddell coming to save this team  .   

Well, I guess we might as well just give up.

• Like 2

Probably a good idea to wait until this time next Sat before throwing in the towel, otherwise you’ll look mighty foolish possibly having to pick it up off the floor in front of this crew. 

32 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Probably a good idea to wait until this time next Sat before throwing in the towel, otherwise you’ll look mighty foolish possibly having to pick it up off the floor in front of this crew. 

I hope im wrong than right .   So I i can be relieved about the state of the canes future .  I just don't see it  when other teams are all trying to win too  .   The Canes have  hard already , nothing is ever easy for this team and it drives me up the wall  knowing that  many players around the league dont see the canes as a place they would like to call home that are top notch talents .    How the canes have managed so far  just with the talent it has so far  makes me wonder what makes the players we have already want to come back and play for the team  . 

From Spector's Hockey Rumors

The Athletic - They’ve also reportedly devoted $2.5-million to a one-year contract for former Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Cam Ward and remain interested in Hurricanes defenseman Justin Faulk.

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

There has been zero reports of the Canes going after anybody .

This is really the main thing i disagree with in your post - i've seen a number of reports saying the Canes are involved in talks with such-and-such team or player.  Mind you, those are just media reports and may or may not have any foot in reality.  Like you, i hope the team is making the moves they need in order to succeed.  I've liked much of what they've done this summer but like everyone else,i  can't help noticing everything they've actually followed through on has been of the cost-cutting variety or promoting from within.  If this is all because they're lining up the money to make some big moves then i'm all in... just hoping to see that shoe drop.

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

From Spector's Hockey Rumors

Faulk for Saad and we take on Hossa’s contract.

Saad-Necas-Svech

dare you to knock us off the puck or keep up with our speed

Edited by gocanes0506

I know we don’t want to risk getting nothing for Skinner, but the more I look at this year,s team, the more apparent it is that we need him this year the most. We have many exciting and likely future productive guys, but up to 4 are essentially rookies and need another proven, veteran producer with them.

• Like 1

Boston Bruins backup goaltender Anton Khudobin appears headed to the free-agent market on Sunday.

:facepalm2:

1 minute ago, remkin said:

I know we don’t want to risk getting nothing for Skinner, but the more I look at this year,s team, the more apparent it is that we need him this year the most. We have many exciting and likely future productive guys, but up to 4 are essentially rookies and need another proven, veteran producer with them.

On the most recent Cane podcast Maniscalco thought one of Skinner or Faulk would be moved but not both. He added of course they [Canes] don't tell us anything.

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Faulk for Saad and we take on Hossa’s contract.

Saad-Necas-Svech

dare you to knock us off the puck or keep up with our speed

We’ve been rumored interested in that move, but after the year Saad just put up (not good) why do we have to take the Hossa salary? Maybe the Faulk market is pretty thin.

That said Saad could fit in pretty well with this group and bounce back. On that note though Saad will have bounced around a lot too.

20 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Montreal took on a bunch of nothing from the Jets for nothing.  Assumption is the Jets are going to sign Statsny.  ROR’s value went up.

Actually they took on Steve Mason, who has one year left on his contract. Started last year as the starter but struggled, got hurt, and Hellybuck came in a took the job.  MTL reportedly looking to flip Mason and willing to retain salary to do so.  IF TD wants to go the trade route, we have options.