The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

4 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Actually they took on Steve Mason, who has one year left on his contract. Started last year as the starter but struggled, got hurt, and Hellybuck came in a took the job.  MTL reportedly looking to flip Mason and willing to retain salary to do so.  IF TD wants to go the trade route, we have options.

Mason wasn’t worth his deal.

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

I know we don’t want to risk getting nothing for Skinner, but the more I look at this year,s team, the more apparent it is that we need him this year the most. We have many exciting and likely future productive guys, but up to 4 are essentially rookies and need another proven, veteran producer with them.

Exactly. With our questionable goalie situation we also need more firepower to boost goal production not less. Even with the addition of another so so goalie I would like to see another move for additional fire power to off set GA.  JVR, ROR, Stone, Nylander.....loosen the purse strings.....go all in. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

We’ve been rumored interested in that move, but after the year Saad just put up (not good) why do we have to take the Hossa salary? Maybe the Faulk market is pretty thin.

That said Saad could fit in pretty well with this group and bounce back. On that note though Saad will have bounced around a lot too.

And take on his contract for 3 years.  Ouch.  But what you said about the Faulk market - Faulk didn't exactly have a career season either.

11 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Exactly. With our questionable goalie situation we also need more firepower to boost goal production not less. Even with the addition of another so so goalie I would like to see another move for additional fire power to off set GA.  JVR, ROR, Stone, Nylander.....loosen the purse strings.....go all in. 

Either youzz be tryin' or youzz be not tryin'.

We shall see in a few days how committed TD is to bringing a winning team to Raleigh. TD has stated he has no problem spending money if it makes our team better. How does adding JVR,ROR,Stone or Nylander not make our team better? Throw money at it! On the other hand TD has stated that he doesn't see the UFA/RFA market as an option. Which is it? Play or not play. 

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

:facepalm2:

Dobby had a really good season backing up Tuuka. He fixed a lot of his issues he had here and his first run with the Bruins. Could be a viable backup, definite #2.

Hutton going to Buffalo (or maybe Islanders) is because they don't have a true #1 and he would go in as the #1.

Lehner could be a decent #2, but no way would be a #1b option.

If Darling falls flat on his face over the 1st 10 games, regardless of who the #2 is, we're in trouble, so we need Darling to be the Darling from his Blackhawks days, not last season.

20 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

We shall see in a few days how committed TD is to bringing a winning team to Raleigh. TD has stated he has no problem spending money if it makes our team better. How does adding JVR,ROR,Stone or Nylander not make our team better? Throw money at it! On the other hand TD has stated that he doesn't see the UFA/RFA market as an option. Which is it? Play or not play. 

Don’t forget, it’s not all up to TD. No big FA’s want to come play in Raleigh. This is why it’s so hard to ever get one. And probably why Dunbon says It’s not an option. I mean we are the Atlanta thrashers of Nhl now. Who the heck wants to come play for that. Has to be done through trades, and it looks like we are probably done  or close to it.  We are going count on svechnikov, Aho  and Darling to get us to the playoffs. 

I pretty much agree with Dundon on the high end of the UFA market not being a smart way to do business.  You get Ladd, Lucic, Okposo, etc who quickly become anchors for their teams.  Yes, the occasional superstar like Tavares is worth it, but most end up being overpaid for too long because of the bidding war.  The value comes in the middle level of players, but we have plenty of them already.  

I see the Canes maybe signing a veteran greybeard LHD 

• Like 2

Our best hope would be JVR because his brother plays here.  That would actually complete our forward group IMO.  Than we have to deal with having the worst goaltender jn the NHL

5 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Montreal has been rumored to interest in Rask. I wonder if Mason for Rask might be the beginning of a conversation?

I've seen where Montreal may flip Mason quickly.

11 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Don’t forget, it’s not all up to TD. No big FA’s want to come play in Raleigh. This is why it’s so hard to ever get one. And probably why Dunbon says It’s not an option. I mean we are the Atlanta thrashers of Nhl now. Who the heck wants to come play for that. Has to be done through trades, and it looks like we are probably done  or close to it.  We are going count on svechnikov, Aho  and Darling to get us to the playoffs. 

I get the Raleigh part of the discussion especially if the UFA is up in age as they want to go to an immediate contender. On the other hand a younger UFA/RFA can be motivated by the almighty dollar and a longer term. Sometimes you have to over pay and we certainly have the cap to do so. I get it if TD doesn't want to over pay but does that outweigh the ability of making the team better immediately, getting the team to the playoffs,increasing attendance and revenue. I think those may outweigh the over pay in the long haul.

• Like 1

A lot of moving parts today

Veteran forward Matt Calvert will be on the move. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Calvert land in Colorado on Sunday.

Multiple teams are interested in defenceman, Thomas Hickey. Depending on Tavares decision, the Isles may look much different next season.

It’s believed Thomas Vanek is considering a return to Detroit. Mike Green is staying put and the Wings likely to add Bernier Sunday as well.

Six teams still in the bidding for Pat Maroon.

David Perron also sorting through multiple offers today. Sounds like he has as many as 5 to consider.

I know we are all on pins and needles, particularly about the solution for the crease. If they can find a solution that definitely makes us better, then all in, but if it's another gamble it needs to be short term. We can't afford to have 2 albatross goalie issues going into next year.

Move Faulk and show us a plan for the net and I will consider the off-season a success. It will then be on the coaches and players to execute next year.

DO we need a separate topic for Free Agency Frenzy or use this one for all the FA stuff?

32 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Dobby had a really good season backing up Tuuka. He fixed a lot of his issues he had here and his first run with the Bruins. Could be a viable backup, definite #2.

Hutton going to Buffalo (or maybe Islanders) is because they don't have a true #1 and he would go in as the #1.

Lehner could be a decent #2, but no way would be a #1b option.

If Darling falls flat on his face over the 1st 10 games, regardless of who the #2 is, we're in trouble, so we need Darling to be the Darling from his Blackhawks days, not last season.

Until his ridiculous no-touch open-ice injury, Dobby was the best non-Ward goaltender we've had in a decade.  I lost all respect for him when he joined Kovalchuk et al in skipping out on the Canadian anthem 3 years back, but from a playing standpoint the Hurricanes could do worse.

• Like 1

Quiet on the ROR front for the moment... his $7.5-million bonus payable after midnight ET tonight... still time for teams to make the kind of offer the Sabres would look at but so far it's not there...