The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

As expected these type “we believe the Hurricanes want to fire sale” blogs would pop up.  The Canes want to get better not sell off their pieces. 

Anywho, the TT trade was easily the best trade. Unfortunately Bickell was diagnosed with MS but he was nice to have on the team.  TT was sold off because of a lack of consistency and early production.  Luckily for us he has found more production to make that move a big steal. Even at 40-50 points  the trade was a good one.  WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND TRADES A 24 YO 60 POINT FORWARD FOR A 27TH PICK AND SOMETHING LATER?  no one!

i know the goalie situation is the biggest need but it will be slim pickings out there.  Plenty of teams looking for a starter too.  We’ll end up overpaying again this year for a starter.  

What is this blurb over on Canes Country I'm seeing about a Finish player, Saku Maenalanen joining the Hurricanes? Wishful thinking or what? Any validity to the report?

No one has confirmed the Finnish paper yet. Stick him in the AHL for a season and see what happens.  Why not?  A 6'3 winger that could be a late bloomer.  A win if he has turned a corner.  AHL depth is he doesnt work out.  

2015 outlook from dooberprospects:

Observations:

November 2015 – After being the top goalscorer for the 2014 World Junior Champion Finns, Maenalanen arrived on the radar in a big way. He was unable to capitalize on that momentum in the 2014/15 season however as he found himself bouncing between four teams in three different leagues. It's safe to say that the hype around Maenalanen has cooled down somewhat. The fact that he hasn't signed his three year ELC nor was he present at this year's development camp casts doubts on how the Preds see him within their organization. Always considered a raw prospect, Maenalanen is still likely a ways off from being an NHLer. Donesh Mazloum

December 2013 – After being passed over in his first year of draft eligibility Maenalanen was selected by the Nashville Predators in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL Draft. This came on the heels of a 23 goal, 58 point rookie campaign in 45 Jr. A SM-liiga games. Maenalanen has continued his solid play this season splitting time between the SM-liiga and the second tier Mestis league. His play this year has landed him on Finland’s World Junior Team where he’ll look to bring a physical presence, along with a scoring touch, as one of the few Finnish forwards that measure over over six feet tall.  Donesh Mazloum

Fantasy Outlook: C-

A very raw prospect, Maenalanen is a long way off. He needs to add weight to fill out his 6’3” frame. If he does his combination of skill and size could be dangerous.

Edited by gocanes0506

https://fansided.com/2018/05/15/carolina-hurricanes-trade-rumors-aho-skinner-nhl-offseason/

Here is another nonsense article, I really do not see any deal that would involve Slavin or Turbo.  I am happy to read all of these articles that consider Slavin a good stop gap if you want to develop a young d-man.  He is not as productive offensively, but has to be in the top 5 in the NHL from a shutdown perspective.

Oh the things that keep me from doing work.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

What is this blurb over on Canes Country I'm seeing about a Finish player, Saku Maenalanen joining the Hurricanes? Wishful thinking or what? Any validity to the report?

Looks like Joni is staying busy.

1 hour ago, bambamcanefan said:

https://fansided.com/2018/05/15/carolina-hurricanes-trade-rumors-aho-skinner-nhl-offseason/

Here is another nonsense article, I really do not see any deal that would involve Slavin or Turbo.  I am happy to read all of these articles that consider Slavin a good stop gap if you want to develop a young d-man.  He is not as productive offensively, but has to be in the top 5 in the NHL from a shutdown perspective.

My adblocker won't let me read it and reading the page source is too tedious, but i did get a little ways in before the alert popped up.  "Players will be moving in and out of Carolina like a used car lot on a holiday weekend. Does your team need defensemen? They have defensemen. Need some depth forwards? They have depth forwards. Carolina will have teams around the league thinking buy, buy, buy, and Carolina general manager Don Waddell will be thinking sell, sell, sell."  Not sure if it's my reading comprehension that's off, but i still haven't read anything that tells me this is what's happening.  Still not seeing 'fire sale'.  Lots of people jumping to crazy conclusions, if you ask me.

All these bloggers looking for hits need to remember that their team needs to give to get.  Not moving Slavin for a cap dump, some expired Hardee's coupons, and some dead D cell batteries.

While sometimes amusing, the vast majority of these articles aren't even worth the time to individually comment on, imo.  Most are so far removed from the realities of the Canes franchise that you have to wonder how it gets published in the first place.  The stuff they contain range from gross misinterpretations (firesale! pick up an impact Cane for peanuts! Slavin is the Canes 3rd best d-man, etc.) to out and out factually incorrect info.  One indicated that even though Faulk is a better d-man than Slavin, Faulk would likely be available because he's a left shot while Slavin is a right shot and we're deeper on the left side.  Ruh?? 

With all of these trade rumors i hope the canes get a big physical player or two. Just to name a couple to go after would be Tom Wilson, he hits anything that moves, was 7th leading scorer for the caps this season, plays 1st team pk. or Austin Watson of the preds. also hits anything that moves and plays on the pk. or i think the leafs have given up on Matt Martin, or Ryan Reaves of the knights. Maybe one of the many big guys the jets have.  Hockey is a physical game and the canes need a few physical players.

• Like 2

It is mildly interesting watching these bloggers copy each other. It's like social media amplification ripples distorting the fact stone dropped in the water. Not only do they all jump on the idea of making a deal with us, but they all adopt the same snide attitude that we are idiots ripe for the taking.

Bob McKenzie puts out that all Canes are potentially available except Aho. That was undoubtedly put out directly by the Canes. Then based on that and the new owner's non traditional approach to the GM hire, some slightly less reliable, but still legit media types suggest that wholesale changes are coming on the ice here. Not sure I've seen a direct quote by Waddell or Dundon about that, and just because we "might" trade any non Aho player, does not mean we're planning on trading half the team, but still, my ticket rep told me there would be changes on the ice, so it's out there. OK, fine.

But then these prepubescent bloggers amp it up into a feeding frenzy where the rest of the league is going to steal all of our talent and we are powerless to stop it and their team might as well grab someone off our team. Of course no trade proposals are offered, outside of absurd ones that my 5 year old nephew would see is nuts.

But outside of two playoff series that we're not in, there is so little going on, that if there is anything of interest in these things at all we look at them.

Though it is a bit unconventional to say "All players except XXX are available". Many GM's have said essentially the same thing, ie."We're open for business". "make us an offer" etc to try to draw interest. It is likely that the offers that draws are one-sided, and the trick is to flip them into a fair deal.

4 hours ago, playruffcaniac said:

With all of these trade rumors i hope the canes get a big physical player or two. Just to name a couple to go after would be Tom Wilson

Wilson's a freakin' criminal, just like Orpik and Niskanen. They should all be in the pokey. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Wilson's a freakin' criminal, just like Orpik and Niskanen. They should all be in the pokey. 

Wilson's a criminal, when he's not on your team.  You have to admit that he's a game changer when he's on the ice.  He's a guy you hate on the other team, but on your team...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, super_dave_1 said:

Wilson's a criminal, when he's not on your team.  You have to admit that he's a game changer when he's on the ice.  He's a guy you hate on the other team, but on your team...

Not for me. Up until the tongue action, Marchand was that guy. But Wilson, IMO, "blurs the line" like the article says because he can't hit clean. Tonight should say a lot about whether his latest suspension taught him anything. He can look for revenge against Stralman for the shot he took at Wilson in the last game, which went unsuspended, or he can make a difference on the scoresheet. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bambamcanefan said:

I’ve read several articles like this and they are a joke. Slavin and Teravainen are not going anywhere unless some young and very high profile player is coming back the other way. On Hockey Buzz (I know), some team’s blogger read McKenzie’s comment and was actually formulating trades where we would receive draft picks in return. I think it’s pretty obvious that TD and DW want to change the culture and attitude of the team, but they are not blowing things up and starting a rebuild from scratch. Saying everyone but Aho is available is not saying we want to move everyone else. We have a surplus of D and maybe someone like Skinner that could use a change of scenery. What we need are (1) Svech; (2) a goaltender; and (3) maybe one more top 6 forward. In reality, the guys I see moving are Faulk or Hanifin and Skinner. Or addition by subtraction moves like Rask and Darling, but those will be hard to pull off. There are certainly less prominent players or prospects that could be sweeteners, but the nucleus of last year’s Canes will be back. Those returning still in need of attitude adjustment should get that from RB.

I don't know how much clearer TD needed to be: "Somewhere between zero and 19 guys will not be back." And that was before we got the second overall pick.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, i can fully do without Wilson as well.  I definitely want to see someone here who's willing to hit, but not one with Wilson's, uh, credentials.  I'll pass.

• Like 1

My player under the "you hate it when you play against him but wouldn't mind it if he were on your team" has always been Scott Hartnell.  Scrappy.  Stands up for his guys.  Takes really bad penalties.  But is always there when you need him.  Too bad he's a little long in the tooth and won't be in the league much longer.  Tom Wilson?  No thanks.  There's a way of being a pest without being dirty.  He's not on my list.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I bet every Canes fan has an inner Wilson wish to help end the softness.  I know I do.  I'd take him on the team in a heartbeat.

He-s-right-you-know-in-b4-morgan-freeman-meme-_b48abe3e7827cd066915c3e45c64f3ae.jpg.7bc341a868e96278934763701460b56d.jpg

Seriously, when you've been the softest team in the league for a decade, a little nastiness couldn't hurt.  I'm with coastal on this.  I'd take a guy like him any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Yeah, i can fully do without Wilson as well.  I definitely want to see someone here who's willing to hit, but not one with Wilson's, uh, credentials.  I'll pass.

If Rick Dudley has any say on trades or moves i would bet he would say the canes needs a player like Wilson. I saw Dudley coach the Carolina Thunderbirds for 4 years and his teams played physical hockey. I like to hear Justin Williams opinion on having Wilson on this team. I bet he would go for it. I know Wilson can get a little reckless sometimes but he wasn't a 1st round pick for just knocking people over. Like i said before he can score goals, play on the pk. Still would like him on this team and probably a lot  or other teams would also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, playruffcaniac said:

If Rick Dudley has any say on trades or moves i would bet he would say the canes needs a player like Wilson. I saw Dudley coach the Carolina Thunderbirds for 4 years and his teams played physical hockey. I like to hear Justin Williams opinion on having Wilson on this team. I bet he would go for it. I know Wilson can get a little reckless sometimes but he wasn't a 1st round pick for just knocking people over. Like i said before he can score goals, play on the pk. Still would like him on this team and probably a lot  or other teams would also.

No team "needs" a player who targets guys' heads. I find it beyond hilarious that the same people on this board who have been the most vocal advocates for banning players for doing so are suddenly all in on signing him.  

Edited by top-shelf-1
extraneous word