The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

Man Hutton is rumored to sign 3 years, just under 3 million a year deal with Buffalo.  Goodness that makes RF look like a fool for giving Darling 16 million.

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Looks like Lehnrer is the only crummy goalie left to choose from.  Please tell me we have something else worked out.

Lehner was my choice of what was available. He has carried a starters workload, he has been a blue chip, and he's still young.

5 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Lehner was my choice of what was available. He has carried a starters workload, he has been a blue chip, and he's still young.

Mine too actually, if we went the UFA route.  It is slim pickings anyway. 

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Man Hutton is rumored to sign 3 years, just under 3 million a year deal with Buffalo.  Goodness that makes RF look like a fool for giving Darling 16 million.

My best guess is that is only way we could get him to come here. I’m praying for a bounce back year from him. 

25 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Now it just needs a goalie and to unload Faulk. The latter will be the tougher of the two, IMO. Hopefully we kill both birds in one move.

I agree Top. We need to move Faulk out. Retain salary if we get a piece we like coming back or just give his contract away, we are way too stacked on RHD to worry about winning this trade. Looking at the goalie options that are out there, I am thinking the team is looking toward a 1 year option. Give Darling a chance to be what we signed him to be, if he misses again we go all in on Bob and the better FA crop next year.

28 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I would go with one of the youngest. Lehner-26 yrs old, Mrazek-26 yrs old. I just saw Lehner weight is 245 lbs. 

I have to try to reserve judgement until a guy is signed, but are any of the plans we're kicking around better than Darling - Ward? Pretty bold move just training up Darling and finding a cast off back up. Not sure we needed to fire Francis to get that done.

Sure we will see if they can avoid having 4 NHL RHD, and actually move Faulk, and maybe do something with Skinner, so there's still time to see the committee in action, but the biggest need was always goalie. 

3 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

I would go with one of the youngest. Lehner-26 yrs old, Mrazek-26 yrs old. I just saw Lehner weight is 245 lbs. 

And what is the relation of weight to age? I'd rather know weight to height.

8 minutes ago, winger52 said:

And what is the relation of weight to age? I'd rather know weight to height.

I just believe 245 is little heavy for a goalie. Lighter you are the quicker you will be. Yes, height is good to know also.

Edited by playruffcaniac

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

It is being reported that JVR is going back to Philadelphia with 5 years @ 7 million per.  That is better than 6 years.  Philly got better.

Yeah that is seems like a pretty good deal for the team. He's 28, so he's only 33-34 at the end of it. Less back side risk.

just joining the FA watch. Do I have this right

JT can't make up his mind. Rock, Paper, Scissors between SJ and Isles

JVR will sign with Flyers

Our Ryan to Calgary

Hutton to Slugs

Our goalie choices will be by process of elimination

What am I missing?

Stastny could head to Golden Knights

Tavares isn't the only big-time center available. Paul Stastny, who had 53 points (16 goals, 37 assists) in 82 games with the Winnipeg Jets and St. Louis Blues last season, including 13 points (four goals, nine assists) in 19 games with Winnipeg after he was acquired in a trade Feb. 26, could be headed to the Vegas Golden Knights, according to Bob McKenzie of TSN. 

Perron returning to St. Louis: report 

Forward David Perron, who had an NHL career-high 66 points (16 goals, 50 assists) in 70 games, and led the Vegas Golden Knights in assists after being selected from the St. Louis Blues in the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft, is heading back to St. Louis on a four-year contract, according to Friedman.

Goalie Carter Hutton, who played the past two seasons with the Blues, will sign a three-year contract with the Buffalo Sabres, according to Friedman.

Goalie Anton Khudobin, who played the past two seasons with the Bruins, will sign a two-year contract with the Stars, according to TSN's Darren Dreger. 

Goalie Jaroslav Halak, who played the past four seasons with the Islanders, will sign a two-year contract with the Bruins, according to Friedman.

Forward Thomas Vanek, who played for the Vancouver Canucks and Columbus Blue Jackets last season, has agreed to a one-year contract with the Detroit Red Wings, according to Dreger. Vanek spent most of the 2016-17 season with the Red Wings before being traded to the Florida Panthers.

Center Derek Ryan is expected to sign a three-year contract with the Calgary Flames, according to TSN. Ryan would rejoin Bill Peters, who coached his during the past three seasons with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Just came across this.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

I just did a little quick research. Lehner was drafted at 6'3" 220 and has played at a consistent 6'4" 245 so it's not like he has chubbed up at the buffet.

Edited by cclifford10

2 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I just did a little quick research. Lehner was drafted at 6'3" and has played at a consistent 6'4" 245 so it's not like he has clubbed up at the buffet.

I 'am not putting Lehner down because of his weight, in fact with the goalies that are left he would be my choice.  Just saying i would like to see him a little lighter.

So thinking strategically, it really makes little sense for us to play in the UFA market outside of possibly goalie. The only position it would be worth considering would be center, but really we need a 1C, and that is one guy, and that guy didn't even glance in our direction. Looking at our forward line up, we're really pretty full up with wingers. Looking at the D, we could theoretically use a solid LHD in place of Faulk, but we really don't need to be signing a guy for a long deal, as Bean and possibly Fox will be ready at some point soon. It really comes down to goalie.

On the forward front we have: 14 guys already (if you count Foegele, and I know he probably gets squeezed out, but this guy looked good). Only if Skinner moves out would we need to make sure we at least replace his 25 - 30 goals minimum. I guess if that is a done deal, maybe, but then we'd have to go for...who's left? James Neal? 

If we move Skinner or Skinner and Faulk those moves need to at least get back part of the 30 goals we might get from Skinner. Either way, I don't see us doing this with a UFA.

So, unless Tavares makes a crazy swerve in our direction, I doubt we're really looking at early UFA's that don't play goal.  Of course watching for trades is still a past time. How can we not trade Faulk at this point?

13 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

I 'am not putting Lehner down because of his weight, in fact with the goalies that are left he would be my choice.  Just saying i would like to see him a little lighter.

Seemed heavy to me as well. That's why I researched to see if he had gained weight recently.

Right now our biggest needs are goalie and a LHD that can man the second power play unit. We may also have a need at forward, but it's hard to predict without knowing what position we want Aho to play. 

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

How can we not trade Faulk at this point?

Well, Waddell alluded to another trade in the works yesterday...so here’s hoping

A basic idea of Faulk for Saad and then Skinner for a solid LHD with a year left plus maybe a draft pick would leave us in pretty good shape outside of goalie. Assuming we fix that in UFA? Or Skinner for solid LHD with a year left and a goalie?

Saad had a bad year, but his shooting percentage was way off his historical norms. He's good for 24 plus goals and 50 plus points. He's fast, and historically a sound two way player. At 25 he should be heading into his best years. He would be an adequate Skinner replacement given our situation with him.

10 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Right now our biggest needs are goalie and a LHD that can man the second power play unit. We may also have a need at forward, but it's hard to predict without knowing what position we want Aho to play. 

Be nice if a trade could be worked out for Darnel Nurse who is a 6'4" LHD.