The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

1 minute ago, bluedevilcane said:

Daniels was obviously cheaper... oops, I mean better.

Daniels also has familiarity with a ton of the players coming up from Charlotte...

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

The Writing is on the wall .  Dundon  did not want to spend money to get a GM  that knows how to GM  ,  All we got was a guy  who has a lot of Experience .   There are   a  ton of  guys with  a lot of experience  a dime a dozen  out there  .   Tom Dundon said  that the teams goals were  to get guys who want to play for us  and  that they would earn their spot  and we would go after guys other team would not  want to lose from their teams  not guys that teams dont want .    So far the track record  is  a goalie no one wanted and  just unkept promises . Dundon is not a man of his word , We basically got Karmanos 2.0   as an owner .   

Really?  You've got this all figured out after 6 months?

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

The Writing is on the wall .  Dundon  did not want to spend money to get a GM  that knows how to GM  ,  All we got was a guy  who has a lot of Experience .   There are   a  ton of  guys with  a lot of experience  a dime a dozen  out there  .  

If you paid attention to rhetoric about the GM search, you would know all of this is false. 

• Like 1

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

Typical UFA fan meltdown jump off the ledge signing day.

Yah, I figured as such...

I suspected that a lot of our moves would come around Draft Day and maybe a few post-1 July trades.  Not expecting much today.  However, I am getting a little excited with potential trade value increases in Skinner and Faulk...because I wasn't expecting this much fallout in the first day.

• Like 1

They better have a doozie of a trade up their sleeve. So far I am underwhelmed by every decision Dundon has made. Maybe the trade with Calgary will be good. Cheap GM. Cheap coach. Cheap Assistant Coach. Cheap goalie. Is this a pattern?

So many changes so far, are we even going to recognize anybody next season? :letssee:  :P 

• Like 1

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

I wonder what spot  the Canes will be sitting at next year in the draft  .  My money is on at least a top 5 pick !

:facepalm:

12 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I just don't know who else he can go out and get in this.  All the big names won't come here cause we're not a "ready now" team...and most of those big names are in positions that we already have a good deal of young talent in.  The goalie market flat-out sucks this UFA season...so we were left with the table scraps there.

Other than making trades, there wasn't much for either TD or DW to do today...

Yep, TD already told us he wasn't going to be a UFA player and it makes sense thus far. We were not on JT's list so (nothing to do there). JVR 5 yrs at 7 mil and brings him to 34 yrs old.( Not a smart investment).  Paul Stastny  3 yrs at AAV 6.5 mil brings him to 35 yrs old. (overpay and short term fix). Carter Hutton (not on his list of potential teams).  The UFA market hasn't been worth the value so far. Any value will come from trades if we can get some dance partners.

• Like 1

Just now, caniac82-ch1 said:

Have there been any rumors around us losing Skinner or Faulk?

Other than the talking heads on TSN and NHL-N stating that Skinner's price is going up now that all the UFA forwards (except James Neal) , and Faulk's as well since the asking price for Karlsson is too damned high.

I know I'm a broken record on this topic, but I'd feel better about the tandem if we added a top notch AHL'er to try to solve this issue internally next year. I don't have the highest hopes Ned's even with the organization after his contract runs out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, caniac82-ch1 said:

Have there been any rumors around us losing Skinner or Faulk?

3 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I know I'm a broken record on this topic, but I'd feel better about the tandem if we added a top notch AHL'er to try to solve this issue internally next year. I don't have the highest hopes Ned's even with the organization after his contract runs out.

That's our problem...it's not just that we have crappy goaltending up at the NHL level, it's also that we don't have anyone waiting in the wings who will knock our socks off...

• Like 2

Of the 56 goalies who played in at least 20 games last year, based on save percentage, we now have #49 and #56 as our tandem. I'm open to both of these guys having major turnarounds, or even that the committee might have another trick up it's collective sleeve, but given that this was job #1 for the committee, I don't think questioning this area of the committee's performance is unreasonable. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Mike Bales has his work cut out for him.

Tom Dundon is not impressing me.  Talks big, plays cheap.

And we have not played a game yet. But I know that’s unimportant 

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

Of the 56 goalies who played in at least 20 games last year, based on save percentage, we now have #49 and #56 as our tandem. I'm open to both of these guys having major turnarounds, or even that the committee might have another trick up it's collective sleeve, but given that this was job #1 for the committee, I don't think questioning it is unreasonable. 

That's a sobering stat! I think I need a beer.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't think questioning it is unreasonable. 

Nobody said it was, but over-reaction to something we know wasn't going to happen is questionable as well.  We made the best offer on Grubauer and Washington said no. 

I think Legend hit the nail on the head, rather than picking up scraps it would be nice for once to have somebody ready to at least take on a backup role.

Edited by coastal_caniac

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Nobody said it was, but over-reaction to something we know wasn't going to happen is questionable as well.  We made the best offer on Grubauer and Washington said no. 

Just curious, does anyone have confirmation that we did offer a trade to Washington for Grubauer?  Cause this is the first I've heard...

39 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I just don't know who else he can go out and get in this.  All the big names won't come here cause we're not a "ready now" team...and most of those big names are in positions that we already have a good deal of young talent in.  The goalie market flat-out sucks this UFA season...so we were left with the table scraps there.

Other than making trades, there wasn't much for either TD or DW to do today...

This. I cringed when I first heard Mrazek, but the more I thought about it the more sensible it became.

Hutton was going where he was assured he'd be #1. Bernier obviously wanted an extended contract (he got 3 years @ 3 million per year). Lehner still hasn't signed with anyone. Did we really want to bring Khudobin back? Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Who else should we have gone after? Lehtonen, Wedgewood, Lack, Hamilton, Hutchinson, Pavlek??? How are any of them assuredly better than Mrazek?

For all those complaining, who would you have rolled the dice on, because that's exactly what this is—rolling the dice

Both Darling and Mrazek are young and have potential upsides beyond Cam Ward can provide now. Yes, it's a crap shoot. But what else could we have done in the FA market?

BTW, I will miss Cam Ward. I wish him the best in Chicago.      

Edited by spyglass88

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Hutton also had his preferred teams. Nothing a pound of magic beans won't cure.