The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

Not sure a person looking at our current goalie tandem and coming up a bit anxious is overreacting. OK one post about moving to Houston maybe. Could the committee do no better? Doesn't it feel incredibly risky if we head into this season with Darling, Mrazek, and Ned? 

Maybe there is a plan B. I hope there's a plan B.

Signing a questionable goalie for 1 year show me deal may end up better than signing a questionable goalie to a 3 year deal, a la Scott "never missed a buffet" Darling

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spyglass88 said:

BTW, I will miss Cam Ward. I wish him the best in Chicago.      

How bad is it for our goalie situation that just about ALL of us on the board feel the same?  Especially given how much some of us have ranted and railed about wanting him gone since around 2011?

Hey, maybe there was nothing better we could do. OK, never mind. I feel better. 

Look, I have no insight into who is going to be a good goalie. I was into Lack and Darling since they came in with strong save percentages.

So maybe going the other way will work.

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Just curious, does anyone have confirmation that we did offer a trade to Washington for Grubauer?  Cause this is the first I've heard...

I'd have to dig through Twitter to find it again, but yeah, we offered the same deal Colorado did (2nd for Grubauer + Orpik) with a better 2nd round pick. Washington turned that down.

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

Maybe there is a plan B. I hope there's a plan B.

Plan B is hoping the team does well enough this season to draw one of the big 4 goaltenders in next years UFA class.

2 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

I'd have to dig through Twitter to find it again, but yeah, we offered the same deal Colorado did (2nd for Grubauer + Orpik) with a better 2nd round pick. Washington turned that down.

That's one move. The other thing is what is a goalie worth? I hear all this talk about how it's the most important position on the ice, yet all a good one is worth is a second rounder.? If that's it one would think we could throw a bit more than that at someone's really good back up. 

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Plan B is hoping the team does well enough this season to draw one of the big 4 goaltenders in next years UFA class.

TD will have to change his opinion on the UFA market.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hey, maybe there was nothing better we could do.

This is what I keep coming back to. Certainly not feeling super confident about our tandem, but I'm not sure bringing in any of the other guys out there would've gotten me to that point. Grubauer was the only one I could've felt comfortable with, but Washington had no interest in trading him within the division.

I think we need to see what the committee does in the trade market. If we put saved money into a player then maybe.

The trade for Hamilton was a big time roster move. Maybe we have more of those coming.

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

TD will have to change his opinion on the UFA market.

Unless we have a roster altering trade up the sleeve, I don’t see where this tandem keeps us from questioning goaltending. He will have to change his opinion.

I think all of this signals that TD, DW, and RB are expecting Darling to bounce back to the level he played in Chicago based on his current conditioning and progress. If the old Darling shows up this season, they'll look like Einsteins; if last year's Darling shows up, they'll look like dunces—unless, of course, Mrazek returns to form instead.

They're taking a big chance, but hey, as Remkin said, maybe there is nothing better we can do.

I suppose there's still a trade for a goalie involving Skinner and/or Faulk, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by spyglass88

I'll take solace in this: 

2015-16 Mrazek was on record in 51 games and posted a .921, with a 2.33 GAA. Darling has also had periods of good performance in the NHL. Both guys have played very well for stretches.

If they both bounce back to form, we could be in good shape. I'll also add that while it was initially a bit tongue in cheek, maybe our goalie coach really has ID'd something in Mrazek's game he can improve or get back on track.

Just hope there's a plan B if they doesn't happen.

I do hope we make at least one more major trade move, time to focus on that for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I think we need to see what the committee does in the trade market. If we put saved money into a player then maybe.

The trade for Hamilton was a big time roster move. Maybe we have more of those coming.

Still hoping we can move Faulk to Toronto and get us some more fire power.

• Like 2

The goalie signing didn't solve our crease it only added an additional question mark to the sentence. It could work out. Will see.

25 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

I'm having a hard time finding it too, but we offered two second rounders and were willing to take on Orpik's contract and then ship him out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

If they both bounce back to form, we could be in good shape. Just hope there's a plan B if they doesn't happen.

Likely the only Plan B is a mid-season trade. ☹️

31 minutes ago, remkin said:

Not sure a person looking at our current goalie tandem and coming up a bit anxious is overreacting.

That is not what I said at all.  The context was that we knew coming in none of the options that were available were ideal.  So, the question then becomes would you have preferred to roll the dice on a three-year deal for someone with as many question marks as Mzarek for 3 years.

Would you?

And I'm not trying to be argumentative either Rem [I feel the pain].

Edited by coastal_caniac

It's second verse same as the first every year. At this moment several goalies should be available next offseason, reality is the good ones will sign with their team as usual and the ones who struggled will come available. Other reality is we trade for a backup with starting chops but that backup likely had hand picked starts against teams they should win against.

Still time to acquire a solution that needs time to bake in the oven, I just don't see it happening.

Just now, spyglass88 said:

Darling's gotta know that if he doesn't bounce back, he finished in the NHL.

I would be shocked if he doesn't come in absolutely ripped and ready for the gun show so there's that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

4A0B9D9D-39A1-477F-9AE5-334AD8AA1B35.jpeg

Faulk to Leafs for Marner...Skinner to somewhere else for a good D-man and #1 goalie

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I would be shocked if he doesn't come in absolutely ripped and ready for the gun show so there's that.

That's  what we are all hoping but on the other hand we know he was mentally fragile as well. Is the pressure going to get him? I hope the offseason includes a sports shrink as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Faulk to Leafs for Marner...Skinner to somewhere else for a good D-man.

Marner wont be going anywhere. I do think Nylander is an option.