The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I find it beyond hilarious that the same people on this board who have been the most vocal advocates banning players for doing so are suddenly all in on signing him.

Well, here is another of your take this as fact statements.  I find that hilarious.  Why can't people have opinions without having to get your approval first?

Edited by coastal_caniac

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Well, here is another of your take this as fact statements.  I find that hilarious.  Why can't people have opinions without having to get your approval first?

And there you go, wanting to be a moderator, but not enough to actually sign up.

a) when did I say anybody had to get my approval?

and 

b) both you and s_d have said there is no place in the game for guys who intentionally target noggins. So you may not like that I cited that fact, but nobody forced you to say it.

Maybe you didn't see Wilson's hit on Aston-Reese. If you did and you still want him, coastal, that's your prerogative--but it files in the face of your prior statements. 

12 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And there you go, wanting to be a moderator, but not enough to actually sign up.

a) when did I say anybody had to get my approval?

and 

b) both you and s_d have said there is no place in the game for guys who intentionally target noggins. So you may not like that I cited that fact, but nobody forced you to say it.

Maybe you didn't see Wilson's hit on Aston-Reese. If you did and you still want him, coastal, that's your prerogative--but it files in the face of your prior statements. 

What I have sad is that the league needs to address the issue of hits to the head.  I have no problem with a player being penalized or suspended because of that.  Wilson hits a ton, and guys that hit are going to run into this issue.  I want a guy that's going to hit.  Question is, does he have standing orders to shoot and ask questions later?

Edit:  the hit on Aston-Reese was shoulder to shoulder, and then the head was impacted.  I have no issue with Wilson being penalized for a hit to the head, but it wasn't necessarily dirty.  

IMG_0346.JPG.64a55a7f4dd6f2ec6e3eec6e38b55b58.JPG

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

Just now, super_dave_1 said:

Question is, does he have standing orders to shoot and ask questions later?

Does it matter? Coaches don't get suspended for hits to the head. Players do and Wilson has, but he keeps doing it. If you want to roll the dice on that, terrific. I don't.

7 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

What I have sad is that the league needs to address the issue of hits to the head.  I have no problem with a player being penalized or suspended because of that.  Wilson hits a ton, and guys that hit are going to run into this issue.  I want a guy that's going to hit.  Question is, does he have standing orders to shoot and ask questions later?

Edit:  the hit on Aston-Reese was shoulder to shoulder, and then the head was impacted.  I have no issue with Wilson being penalized for a hit to the head, but it wasn't necessarily dirty.  

Absolutely agree that hit was very much north to south and both players were aware the hit was coming...nonetheless its just an opinion... go Tom go....

45 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I saw it when it happened, and it was interesting that the majority opinion in the media was the hit wasn't suspendable.  Personally, and at the time, I thought it was.

All I'm asking Top, is you prove your accusation that I've been one of the most vocal advocates for banning players for hits to the head. Actually, I've never said any such thing. I think you have me confused with another member. 

And back to fact checking, Wilson has been suspended one time for an illegal check to the head.  Another time for a late hit, and once for boarding.  I'm not claiming he's a princess, but I'm also tired of playing patty cakes with other teams.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Does it matter? Coaches don't get suspended for hits to the head. Players do and Wilson has, but he keeps doing it. If you want to roll the dice on that, terrific. I don't.

I totally agree! Wilson can shoot, I will admit that, but he is a goon! Being physical is one thing but not controlling your hits makes you a goon. Physicality is awesome but a good clean hit will make anyone think twice and respect you. Wilson does not have or give that respect. There are better physical players out there that we don't have to worry if they are suspended or not at the next game.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 12:44 PM, coastal_caniac said:

I saw it when it happened, and it was interesting that the majority opinion in the media was the hit wasn't suspendable.  Personally, and at the time, I thought it was.

All I'm asking Top, is you prove your accusation that I've been one of the most vocal advocates for banning players for hits to the head. Actually, I've never said any such thing. I think you have me confused with another member. 

And back to fact checking, Wilson has been suspended one time for an illegal check to the head.  Another time for a late hit, and once for boarding.  I'm not claiming he's a princess, but I'm also tired of playing patty cakes with other teams.

All I know is each time I've posted the suggestion of a zero-tolerance policy for hits to the head, you've thumbs-upped it. Call that support if you like, opposition if you don't, I really don't care. 

Boarding and hits to the head are of a piece in my book. Same with late hits. They are all illegal due to the risk of serious injury. If you really want to parse Wilson's pathology based on the body parts most likely to be affected, knock yourself out (pun intended). But as pepcane posted, there are other ways to be a pest without going where Wilson routinely has. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
corrected attribution

58 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

IMG_0346.JPG.64a55a7f4dd6f2ec6e3eec6e38b55b58.JPG

This pic proves my point: Aston-Reese's shoulder is below Wilson's. A pic from the opposite angle would show Wilson's shoulder on A-R's jaw. That's how it got broken. 

I just read through the links in this thread.  Just shook my head the whole time.  I loved the Tyson Barrie and a draft pick for Jaccob Slavin.  I would counter that proposal with Victor Rask and a prospect for Nathan McKinnon...  LOL

7 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

I just read through the links in this thread.  Just shook my head the whole time.  I loved the Tyson Barrie and a draft pick for Jaccob Slavin.  I would counter that proposal with Victor Rask and a prospect for Nathan McKinnon...  LOL

I don't know much about Barrie but based on his stats, i can see where they're coming from - he's been their top-scoring defenseman for the past 3 seasons and bottom 3 on the team in +/- over those same years.  No different than some of us thinking we can trade Faulk for something big, and they're even postulating including a draft pick with him.  It's of absolutely no interest to me of course because i like my defensemen defense-first, but in the world of offensive defensemen, he definitely looks like a better option than Faulk.  But for Slavin, nah...

4 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I totally agree! Wilson can shoot, I will admit that, but he is a goon! Being physical is one thing but not controlling your hits makes you a goon. 

I don't think Wilson is a goon. Goons don't skate with the top line, play 1st on the pk, scores 14 goals, 21 assists and has a +/- rating of +10. Rask=14goals,17 assist and zero +/- rating, Nordstrom =2 goals, +/- rating of -11. Stats don't come close to Wilson's stats. Goons has 300 to 400 pims, maybe 1 or 2 goals and a couple of assists. I know Wilson  goes little over board one in a while but i would still like him playing for the canes.  Best option try to find a Milan Lucic type player.  I'am just saying the canes need to get bigger and more physical. What i would like to see the canes do first would be to take Svech in the draft then maybe trade Skinner or a couple players on the Checkers to the team that takes Brady Tkachuk. If that dosen't  work and since Peters seem like he didn't want to play physical players while here with the canes call up Calgary and see if you can make a trade for Matthew Tkachuk who scored 24 goals this past season.

Edited by playruffcaniac

I'd take Tkachuk in a heartbeat, but it would take a lot to get him, and my guess is that he's pretty close to untouchable.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

I'd take Tkachuk in a heartbeat, but it would take a lot to get him, and my guess is that he's pretty close to untouchable.

Half a heartbeat but yeah, i don't think he's going anywhere.  As far as Peters not playing physical players, playruff, i don't think he had much choice in the matter - i think his GM wasn't willing to bring in the players he wanted.  Personally i don't think he had much choice in any personnel decisions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

All I know is each time I've posted the suggestion of a zero-tolerance policy for hits to the head, you've thumbs-upped it. Call that support if you like, opposition if you don't, I really don't care. 

Boarding and hits to the head are of a piece in my book. Same with late hits. They are all illegal due to the risk of serious injury. If you really want to parse Wilson's pathology based on the body parts most likely to be affected, knock yourself out (pun intended). But as bluedevilcane posted, there are other ways to be a pest without going where Wilson routinely has. 

Guys, knock yourselves out on this one, but I haven’t posted on it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Guys, knock yourselves out on this one, but I haven’t posted on it.

:lol:  that's going around.

Edited by coastal_caniac

On the Wilson thing.  I think the Canes need somebody that plays right at the edge of the rules.  That's a fine line.  Hits like the one on Aston-Reece are going to happen, and if that's intolerable then well, I can understand why somebody wouldn't want that type of player.  Wilson, I admit may be a bad example of what I would like to see given his whole un-suspended history.

But I'm desperate for something other than ultra-soft. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I passed this stage countless years ago, I say this every year. At this point I’m ready to have our scouting staff start combing the prison system.

?

”Have you committed any violent offenses?

Step forward.

Can you skate?

Step forward.”

On a more serious note as much as I hate the Penguins, Patrick Hornqvist is the type of player this team needs. Those types of players are hard to come by.

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 1

I'd take Hornqvist in a heartbeat...because then it'd leave Malkin unprotected and I can finally see him get the beatings he so richly deserves

• Like 1

Jared Coreau, just going to put that goalie out there. Detroit prospect and "lost his way this season", sound familiar? Could be we could take a flyer on him and score big, or another flop?

Most Canes forwards could play the full 60 minutes with eggs in their pants and shoulder pads and not break one of them. Bring in Wilson and one other like forward because ones not enough. Let them set the tone in pre-season. Will help a lot of the existing forwards realize there’s more to corner play than just using the stick or that planting at the edge of the crease and scoring dirty goals earns respect. 

2 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Most Canes forwards could play the full 60 minutes with eggs in their pants and shoulder pads and not break one of them. Bring in Wilson and one other like forward because ones not enough. Let them set the tone in pre-season. Will help a lot of the existing forwards realize there’s more to corner play than just using the stick or that planting at the edge of the crease and scoring dirty goals earns respect. 

Didn't RF try that a couple of years ago, anyway? My brain isn't quite awake yet; was it Raffi Torres the Hurricanes signed to a PTO in the preseason a few seasons ago, then jettisoned in short order? How'd that work out for the team?

Okay, okay. I'll grant you that Tom Wilson has more scoring upside than Torres did back in the day, so not exactly the same situation.

And as far as the hit on Aston-Reese, Wilson was head-hunting, IMO. The reverse angle shows shoulder-to-jaw, plus the fact that Wilson practically landed on the bench on the follow-through shows me the hit was not a lateral "unload on a guy's shoulder" thing, but a "launch upward into the head" thing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

After watching much of the Cup playoffs I continually ask myself could the Canes even compete in many of these games? Many games have been very physical and we would be having a hard time competing. I'm afraid we would be stuck with a ref waiting for the plane from Charlotte to land with replacement players. Image result for hockey aftermath