The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

Marner wont be going anywhere. I do think Nylander is an option.

Look at how much they're on the hook with Matthews and Tavares after this season...if Marner wants the same amount of $$ as Matthews, he has to go elsewhere for it....unless Toronto just wants to field three offensive lines for the next decade because they can't afford a 4th.

• Like 1

Toronto will have to do some.  They have 29 million in cap space for next season with Nylander, Matthews, Marner, 4 defenders, Kapanen, a backup, and a couple of other forwards to make a full roster.   

Edited by gocanes0506

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And they STILL won't win the Cup...I can't wait to see the Toronto media melt down after that happens

Toronto just rounded third headed for home. Canes still trying to get into the parking lot.

1 minute ago, winger52 said:

Toronto just rounded third headed for home. Canes still trying to get into the parking lot.

How many teams have we seen try to buy the Cup only to fail miserably?

The Canes did not get better today with Ward going to Hawks and the Mrazek signing.  I'm not buying into the "excellence" pitch from TD based on the Goalie situation at present.  Hopefully any deal brings back a true starter.

Facts are stubborn, and Rem's pointer to their respective rankings among those playing at least 20 games is all I need to know.  In this case HOPE is a 4 letter word best not mentioned.

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

How many teams have we seen try to buy the Cup only to fail miserably?

There have been plenty, none locally, but Leafs management is a new group with a big desire.

4 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

The Canes did not get better today with Ward going to Hawks and the Mrazek signing.  I'm not buying into the "excellence" pitch from TD based on the Goalie situation at present.  Hopefully any deal brings back a true starter.

Facts are stubborn, and Rem's pointer to their respective rankings among those playing at least 20 games is all I need to know.  In this case HOPE is a 4 letter word best not mentioned.

Well, if you were GM, what would you do?  Who would you go after?  Because I'm just not seeing anyone.

Always amazing how UFA day goes down and I know in a couple of years Bettman will have a lockout so the players will make concessions to save the owners who can't stop themselves.  Same thing every year.  Prior to the last lockout, half the league was lined up to overpay Parise and Suter, as well as lock in their pending FA's to long term deals under the old rules.  Then comes the lockout and the woes of the poor owners.

Who is this year's Ladd, Orpik, Lucic, etc?

• Like 1

Two more years...

2 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Always amazing how UFA day goes down and I know in a couple of years Bettman will have a lockout so the players will make concessions to save the owners who can't stop themselves.  

Two more years...

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

That is not what I said at all.  The context was that we knew coming in none of the options that were available were ideal.  So, the question then becomes would you have preferred to roll the dice on a three-year deal for someone with as many question marks as Mzarek for 3 years.

Would you?

I did not get the GM job despite lobbying for it heavily, at least on here. I don't know what the options really were. We know we didn't get Grubauer. Clearly Washington preferred sending him west when it came to a few second round spots, but does that mean they wouldn't have gone our way if we sweetened the pot? This is a 26 year old guy with 79 starts in the NHL and career .923 save percentage. Was he not worth more than a second round draft pick, which a team might use for a shot at drafting and hoping that guy might one day become...Phillip Grubauer?  This was Washington's next big guy until a few not great playoff games and the resurgence of Holtby. Grubauer was #11 in save percentage last year. 

And here I'm also not trying to be argumentative, but I really don't get it. If goalie is the most important position on the ice, how can a guy as good as Grubauer not be worth not just more than a second rounder, but a LOT more? What if we offered, a second rounder, pick a prospect from Kuok, Gauthier, Roy, Saarela, and maybe even more? Maybe even a 1st rounder? Teams have given up first rounders for rentals before, and Grubauer is signed for 3 years. 

I get that Darling and Lack looked pretty good in about that many starts too. But it just seems we had to try.

I get too that we don't want to tie up that much salary in goalie, but we have to fix it to go anywhere, and it's not like we're spending like we're lighting cash on fire. If we had two expensive goalies, say Grubauer and Darling, then if Grubauer rocks, trade or buy out Darling. If Darling rocks, trade Grubauer eventually.

I was hoping that if not Grubeauer, maybe some other high potential back up or his #1 counterpart might be traded for. 

Or at the very least try to get the #43 best save percentage guy, oh wait that was Cam Ward.

This could work out. It really could. But it is scary to think of what this could look like if it doesn't. Very very scary. And this is not worst case scenario. This is just if both guys play about the way they did last year. If that happens...can't really even think about that.

32 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Well, if you were GM, what would you do?  Who would you go after?  Because I'm just not seeing anyone.

If the plan is to deal Skinner and/or Faulk you get a proven Goalie back.  Not sure who they're talking to.  If that isn't in the cards you sign Lehner, not Mrazek.

• Like 1

Rem, I'm not happy either.  But I knew before UFA day I wasn't going to be happy, so I had no need to worry about something magical happening today.  That's all I meant about some of the comments thus far. 

I was highly ****** we couldn't offer more for Grubauer, but even if we did I don't have a crystal ball to tell me Washington would have moved him here.  The news that broke suggested we offered more than any other team with interest.

It's funny to me we talk about being cheap going after Grubauer when the team was willing to take on Orpik's 4.5 AAV in the deal.  Something ain't clicking there although to be fair I think the comments from some were holistic ones not based on one deal.

Your last line is absolutely spot on.

Edited by coastal_caniac

1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

Darling's gotta know that if he doesn't bounce back, he's finished in the NHL.

For a guy who has apparently hit rock bottom before securing a spot in the NHL, you would think he would not take his position for granted. Getting his 4yr contract is like hitting the lottery, so for the Canes' sake, I hope Darling doesn't turn out to be a Semin.

I think we improved based on our draft pick, but the big trade is a wash at best. Hamilton and Hanifin are close to even, but I'm not sure the forward we got is as good as Lindy. Mabye if we sign the Dman from Harvard, we might have a slight advantage. If we could have signed Cam for a year, that would have been, at least, as good as signing Mzarek for a year. So far, I feel like we are just treading water.

Grubauer came with a package with Orpik who was bought out if I'm not mistaken. I think if TD was ready to buy out somebody he already bought out Darling 

Red Wings sign Chris Terry.

When I saw this I laughed, forgot all about him. When I read further, it said that he lead the AHL in scoring (points) last season. Who knew.

1 hour ago, Manwolf said:

How did we get better with a guy that put up 3.27 GAA for a team better than us?  This was a move to shake things up.  Starting to think the issue in the locker room was Ward all along.  Hence all the failed goalies here when you had a conn smythe goalie in the room.

Edited by bluedevil58

9 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Red Wings sign Chris Terry.

When I saw this I laughed, forgot all about him. When I read further, it said that he lead the AHL in scoring (points) last season. Who knew.

He's an odd bird that one, dominating the AHL for years but never the NHL.

14 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

How did we get better with a guy that put up 3.27 GAA for a team better than us?  This was a move to shake things up.  Starting to think the issue in the locker room was Ward all along.  Hence all the failed goalies here when you had a conn smythe goalie in the room.

?

2 hours ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

I'd have to dig through Twitter to find it again, but yeah, we offered the same deal Colorado did (2nd for Grubauer + Orpik) with a better 2nd round pick. Washington turned that down.

But our pick was only 4 picks higher. Throw in a 4th or whatever and maybe we get him. We are in no position to say we will not overpay for a goalie. But on the flip side, Grubauer also had to be signed. The more I think about it, the less I want to be committed for 3 years or more to a goaltender who has never been a #1 (again). If we were just going for one year, I think I’d have taken Cam back over Mrazek, but we shall see.