The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

UFA-Trades-RFA

5 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

More info on Tavares contract. He is getting more than 70mil in signing bonuses on his 7yr/77mil contract.

Sounds like a lockout proof contract.

2 hours ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

I'd have to dig through Twitter to find it again, but yeah, we offered the same deal Colorado did (2nd for Grubauer + Orpik) with a better 2nd round pick. Washington turned that down.

here ya go. https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2018/06/22/report-capitals-took-a-worse-draft-pick-so-philipp-grubauer-would-play-in-western-conference/

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

How did we get better with a guy that put up 3.27 GAA for a team better than us?  This was a move to shake things up.  Starting to think the issue in the locker room was Ward all along.  Hence all the failed goalies here when you had a conn smythe goalie in the room.

No way was Ward the issue in the locker room. Darling was promised the job the instant he signed with Ward graciously accepting the backup role. And Darling was ... last in the league.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

How did we get better with a guy that put up 3.27 GAA for a team better than us?  This was a move to shake things up.  Starting to think the issue in the locker room was Ward all along.  Hence all the failed goalies here when you had a conn smythe goalie in the room.

My post reads "The Canes did not get better today ..."

Not sure what you mean.  If other Goalies were psyched by Cam's presence that is speculative.  I also doubt it.

I really liked Cam Ward. Total class act.  I wish him well. Here’s hoping Darling gets his game turned around. If not we have a goalie who is still young and did well at times in Detroit. Let them battle it out for #1. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bing_Chow said:

For a guy who has apparently hit rock bottom before securing a spot in the NHL, you would think he would not take his position for granted. Getting his 4yr contract is like hitting the lottery, so for the Canes' sake, I hope Darling doesn't turn out to be a Semin HWSNBN.

Fixed...now say forty "Hail Brindy's" to atone for your sin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Starting to think the issue in the locker room was Ward all along.  Hence all the failed goalies here when you had a conn smythe goalie in the room.

Oh lord...

Seriously, in all the time he's been in Raleigh, have you EVER heard anything negative said about him regarding his work ethic/leadership/locker room presence?  

Cam was most certainly NOT the problem.  If anything, he was the reason we were in it as long as we were at times...but, since we rode him like a rented mule for the past decade, he ultimately broke down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

If we could have signed Cam for a year, that would have been, at least, as good as signing Mzarek for a year. So far, I feel like we are just treading water.

Caniac6, Mzarek is a much better option than Cam for next year. I like Cam and if we only were concerned about handling a backup work load maybe he would still be here. The reality is we need someone who has the potential to play a starter's workload and Cam is no longer able to do that. The brain trust apparently liked the fact Mzarek didn't want a #1 contract, he wanted a contract to prove he can be that. Also the goalie coach thinks he can fix any issues in Mzarek's game and he is young enough to be able to handle the workload.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cc said:

Where the heck is the ignore button

But then who would 2-3 of our resident panic posters talk to?  ;)

• Like 1

Soooooooooooooo...

The Sens have made a contract offer to Karlsson.  Terms not disclosed.  IF he turns it down and gets traded, wanna bet the overall inquiries and price on Faulk go sky high?

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Soooooooooooooo...

The Sens have made a contract offer to Karlsson.  Terms not disclosed.  IF he turns it down and gets traded, wanna bet the overall inquiries and price on Faulk go sky high?

We’ll be higher if he stays.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

We’ll be higher if he stays.

True...and considering how much teams are seemingly overpaying for D-men (see: Bruins & John Moore)...

Im not excited about our new Canes brain trust. (perhaps Homer Stokes).. whoever or whatever the thinking was to let Cam go and not go after a solid net minder is CRAZY...If we were not sure we could get a deal done, then why this.. and Im not buying any locker room favorite crap..  sure would like to hear from T.D. and know who was the driver of this decision, as of the end of this day, it looks cheap and un-prepared...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Sounds like a lockout proof contract.

Yes, the way it is structured on the bonus, he doesn’t need to worry about a payday during the lockout.

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

And they STILL won't win the Cup...I can't wait to see the Toronto media melt down after that happens

The season is either going to be off the hook or a dumpster fire for the Leafs. This may be an all in for a 2019 Cup run. Not sure how J.T. or Matthews will handle their leadership structure and there’s also the rumblings off and on about friction between Matthews and their coach.

I think there are still more moves coming. Probably not UFA, but trades. I think they are waiting on majority of big name FAs to sign to establish maximum trade value for Faulk and maybe Skinner. Don’t see this is going to change goalie situation, but hopefully will improve the team. Time to concentrate on what/who we do have, not what/who we don’t. We all know Darling or Mrazek has to be at least decent for us to compete. Time will tell if either of them can up their game. It is concerning, but it could work out. I just wish I could think one situation where Dundon clearly opened his wallet to upgrade the team. With PK, we kind of knew his financial resources were limited. With Dundon, it is starting to seem like he has money but is just unwilling to spend it. I’m waiting for him to prove me wrong. Once.

2 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think there are still more moves coming. Probably not UFA, but trades. I think they are waiting on majority of big name FAs to sign to establish maximum trade value for Faulk and maybe Skinner. Don’t see this is going to change goalie situation, but hopefully will improve the team. Time to concentrate on what/who we do have, not what/who we don’t. We all know Darling or Mrazek has to be at least decent for us to compete. Time will tell if either of them can up their game. It is concerning, but it could work out. I just wish I could think one situation where Dundon clearly opened his wallet to upgrade the team. With PK, we kind of knew his financial resources were limited. With Dundon, it is starting to seem like he has money but is just unwilling to spend it. I’m waiting for him to prove me wrong. Once.

Somebody above made the point that he went out and got Hamilton.  However, was that yo avoid paying Lindy and Nosh?

v

2 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think there are still more moves coming. Probably not UFA, but trades. I think they are waiting on majority of big name FAs to sign to establish maximum trade value for Faulk and maybe Skinner. Don’t see this is going to change goalie situation, but hopefully will improve the team. Time to concentrate on what/who we do have, not what/who we don’t. We all know Darling or Mrazek has to be at least decent for us to compete. Time will tell if either of them can up their game. It is concerning, but it could work out.

That's where I was this morning, regardless if we signed Lehner (who I thought would be the choice) or Mzarek.  I'm not as inclined to think el-cheapo (another one SD) yet, over smart business moves, not knowing if the team is done.  Everything was fine here through Summerfest and then it blew up today, the el-cheapo that is.

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

v

That's where I was this morning, regardless if we signed Lehner (who I thought would be the choice) or Mzarek.  I'm not as inclined to think el-cheapo (another one SD) yet, over smart business moves, not knowing if the team is done.  Everything was fine here through Summerfest and then it blew up today, the el-cheapo that is.

I'm calling el-cheapo.  I hope you're right (there's that 4 letter word again, darn it).